Bricked my Y500 urgent help please

thepharcyde

Hi,

I only subscribed today and was able to Flash my bios all well until.....

I tried to flash the below.

I flashed my SLI booted into Windows and my SLI GT650M was then showing 1.1V

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3593-ideapad-y500-bios-mods-overvolting-overclocked-out-box.html

I then Flashed v202_1100mv to my Main system Bios

fpt.exe -f filename.rom -bios

Flash went though rebooted and now black screen fans no boot

Please help

I think I need to flashmy bios back to stock but cannot as screen is black

I'm so glad you responded. I did V2.02 and then Flashed as per your guide V1.05 for the extended access in BIOS. I followed guide all was well. It was only when I stupidly got cocky and looked at the other thread re the voltage mod of the GT650m.

I'm really confused about what you did but it sounds like you mixed up a lot of things and ended up bricking your system. So let me get this straight:

You flashed the Ultrabay 650M to the 1.1V overvolt vBIOS and that worked fine, then you moved on to your main system BIOS. Your original Lenovo BIOS was something other than 2.02 so first you applied the official Lenovo 2.02 update. Then, you flashed svl7 1.05 mod. Mistake #1: ONLY FLASH A MOD OF THE SAME VERSION AS YOUR CURRENT BIOS VERSION!!! svl7 wrote that in red letters for a reason. Next you tried to flash the 2.02 overvolt BIOS over your svl7 1.05 mod. Mistake #2: Not only are you flashing a mod of a different version, but you need follow svl7's instructions and fix your unmodded 2.02 BIOS with the overvolting BIOS so things like Windows activation, S/N, and UUID are retained. Now your system shows black screen and is unbootable. Did I get all that right?

If svl7's recovery measures don't work for you, I'm afraid the only thing to do at that point is to send the laptop in for a motherboard or total replacement.

Hi - before you go or keyboard warrior on me let me explain as it was late yesterday and have woke up with a fresh head.

This is the process I took

1) I followed the below guide. My BIOS was V1.05. I can see that the attachments are different to that of which I downloaded yesterday as V1.05 modded and V1.03 is now missing from the attachments at the below of the post and now replaced with V2.02 and V2.03??

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod.html

2) I used the Lenovo genuine Bios 2.02 upgrade via the Windows utility.

Preparation to get to BIOS v2.02 (coming from any earlier version):

Generally it's a good idea to keep the BIOS up to date. We're luck to have an official BIOS update to v2.02 apparently thanks to a leak on the net. (Lenovo is really bad when it comes to providing firmware updates and fixing issues).

The leaked version must be genuine, else it wouldn't flash by using the regular method.

If you want to update your system to v2.02 then grab the update here, extract it and flash the bios by executing the included InsydeFlash utility.

Once the update is completed you can continue with the instructions below to get a modified version on your system.

3) Followed the above guide to the T and all was working fine.

4) I then continued and flashed with V1.05 modified as per the original attachments (now missing from the guide)

5) Also flashed my Ultrabay GT650M with the modified BIOS to mitigate the +135 limit.

However I came across this thread in respect to upping the voltage to 1.1V as my Ultrabay card would not o/c to the same levels as the mainboard card.

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3593-ideapad-y500-bios-mods-overvolting-overclocked-out-box.html

1) I flashed the Ultrabay no problem.

2) Went to flash Bios (mainboard with the below file). It completed fine. Rebooted and non posting laptop.

I do not believe I have done anything wrong as up until the final stage it was in line with the above. I did think it was strange after flashing with 2.02 stock via Windows I was then Flashing with a modified V1.05 as per the below guide

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod.html

So I believe the above thread that incidentally has now been modified has led to my confusion and in hindsight should have questioned prior to execution as I have flashed V2.02 Stock, V1.05 modified (working at this stage) and the V2.02 modified for the voltage mod = non post.

Thank your for your replies.

However I am getting a replacement tomorrow and will not be messing with this one, however I feel that the questioned thread content that was not up to date and since modified since my posting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dismantle your Y500

Buy this:

BIOS Chip Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 | eBay

Replace that chip. And you are good to go.

I could do this for you. But I am in no way responsible for breaking things. Although I have experience with this. But there is shipping costs and risk of damage during transport.

This is still your best way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi - before you go or keyboard warrior on me let me explain as it was late yesterday and have woke up with a fresh head.

This is the process I took

1) I followed the below guide. My BIOS was V1.05. I can see that the attachments are different to that of which I downloaded yesterday as V1.05 modded and V1.03 is now missing from the attachments at the below of the post and now replaced with V2.02 and V2.03??

2) I used the Lenovo genuine Bios 2.02 upgrade via the Windows utility.

Preparation to get to BIOS v2.02 (coming from any earlier version):

Generally it's a good idea to keep the BIOS up to date. We're luck to have an official BIOS update to v2.02 apparently thanks to a leak on the net. (Lenovo is really bad when it comes to providing firmware updates and fixing issues).

The leaked version must be genuine, else it wouldn't flash by using the regular method.

If you want to update your system to v2.02 then grab the update here, extract it and flash the bios by executing the included InsydeFlash utility.

Once the update is completed you can continue with the instructions below to get a modified version on your system.

3) Followed the above guide to the T and all was working fine.

4) I then continued and flashed with V1.05 modified as per the original attachments (now missing from the guide)

5) Also flashed my Ultrabay GT650M with the modified BIOS to mitigate the +135 limit.

However I came across this thread in respect to upping the voltage to 1.1V as my Ultrabay card would not o/c to the same levels as the mainboard card.

1) I flashed the Ultrabay no problem.

2) Went to flash Bios (mainboard with the below file). It completed fine. Rebooted and non posting laptop.

I do not believe I have done anything wrong as up until the final stage it was in line with the above. I did think it was strange after flashing with 2.02 stock via Windows I was then Flashing with a modified V1.05 as per the below guide

So I believe the above thread that incidentally has now been modified has led to my confusion and in hindsight should have questioned prior to execution as I have flashed V2.02 Stock, V1.05 modified (working at this stage) and the V2.02 modified for the voltage mod = non post.

Thank your for your replies.

However I am getting a replacement tomorrow and will not be messing with this one, however I feel that the questioned thread content that was not up to date and since modified since my posting.

Why did you flash 1.05 modded over 2.02 stock in the first place? Modded 2.02 was already in the sticky thread, just buried on page 57 because svl7 didn't have time to update the OP with it yet. Didn't it seem odd to you that the instructions clearly warned you not to flash a mod of a different version, yet you still did it without at posting a question in that thread? Then, you went ahead and repeated the same mistake by trying to flash the 2.02 overvolt .rom directly over your 1.05 svl7 mod. You're supposed to take the overvolt .rom file and create the mod yourself with your 2.02 backup using svl7's BIOS fixer tool so that Windows activation, Lenovo serial number, and UUID are not lost.

In summary, the correct procedure for going from, for example, 1.05 unmodded to 2.02 overvolt mod is:

Update to official 2.02>Create backup of 2.02>Use svl7 BIOS fixer tool create modded file using your 2.02 backup and jester_socom's overvolt file>Flash the modded file you created in the previous step

If you have any questions about the whole process, ask. Don't rush into it blindly. Even though you said you're not going to be messing with the replacement unit, if you change your mind you still need to get it right, or same thing will happen again.

I apologize if that sounds a bit harsh, but it should be a lesson for anyone who attempts to flash. Anyone can do it successfully if he/she is patient and takes the time to fully understand what he/she is doing.

He already got a replacement laptop. Besides, do you think someone who has difficulty flashing the BIOS without bricking has knowledge and tools to physically replace a broken BIOS chip?

I am a novice and followed the guide exactly. Unfortunately the OP was outdated that led to this issue that I'm thankful has been updated so others do not make the same mistake. I'm not criticising/blaming the chap, but as you can see I signed up yesterday and had not expected to read 86 pages in case the OP had been updated maybe in multiple locations on the thread. The guide had last modified for a recent date and assumed that if V2.02 Stock included hence thought it was fine.

However OP has been updated twice since so anyone else will not have the same issue :)

<s style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); line-height: 17px;">Attached you'll find modified versions of the Y400 / Y500 BIOS v1.03 and v1.05.</s> Removed as they're outdated. Better updated to v2.02.
just buried on page 57 because

However if I installed Stock V2.02 over stock V1.05 then V1.05 Mod and everything was fine BIOS had more menu items and booted into Windows no issues. The issued resided with the final stage thread 2 Mod 2.02 for the GPU voltage, I'm unsure what has gone wrong did this also need patching? I'm surprised it will not recover itself?

Replacement arrives tomorrow, I may try again, if you are free to assist I would appreciate it :)

However if I installed Stock V2.02 over stock V1.05 then V1.05 Mod and everything was fine BIOS had more menu items and booted into Windows no issues. The issued resided with the final stage thread 2 Mod 2.02 for the GPU voltage, I'm unsure what has gone wrong did this also need patching? I'm surprised it will not recover itself?

Replacement arrives tomorrow, I may try again, if you are free to assist I would appreciate it

You thought everything was fine when you flashed V1.05 mod over stock V2.02 but that's not the case. Doing so downgraded the BIOS version to 1.05 but the EC (embedded controller) version stayed at 2.02. Even though you could still boot and see the unlocked menus at this point there would most likely be other problems.

Yes you can't just directly flash the overvolt mod. You have to use svl7's command-line-based BIOS fix tool to create the mod yourself using that file and a backup of your current system BIOS, just like you did before you flashed the V1.05 mod. This is because the Window Activation, Lenovo serial number, and UUID (universally unique identification number) of the machine are stored in the BIOS. By creating the mod yourself you are adding that information to the file so that when you flash it the information is retained.

Now that svl7 has changed how the BIOS fixer works (see below) and it is embedded with the different mod versions, you won't be able to flash the overvolt mod like you used to anymore. You would need the old command prompt BIOS fixer so that you can manually point to the overvolt file and your BIOS backup to create the "fixed" BIOS. I still have a backup of the old tool which I can send to you if needed, and I'm sure svl7 does as well.

I would be happy to help you with the flashing when your replacement arrives. I have already flashed three Y500 units and I've completely memorized the procedure. It's quite easy once you've got the hang of it.

The modded Bios now posted on page 1 is a .exe file. Is the whole process now an executable file from Windows like the stock 2.02 that Lenovo provided?

Lenovo_Y500-Y400_-_Mod_[v2.02].zip

edit, on a linux PC, this is the modder bit, where I drop my backup into it and it mods it ready to flash?

No, read the instructions carefully. It's an .exe because svl7 changed how the BIOS fixer works. Now, you simply download the mod version you want, run the .exe, drag your BIOS backup into the Window, and the tool will automatically generate the custom modded file that you will flash with.

• Thumbs Up 1

My replacement has arrived, swapped out HD will be sending back broken one. Its already has V2.02 and the mouse pad is 200% better too, no horrible clicking but taught edges unlike my old one that had a build date of Dec2012, this is March2013.

Now the $1,000,000 questions, to mod or not to mod. At least the Ultrabay is still volted to 1.1v so clocks to the same as the onboard without crashing :)