[SOFTWARE MOD] Backlight Controller with LightFX

savvas

• 8 months later...

I tried to run v. 0.6.0 and ran into the attached exception, with the inner exception  "The event log 'OutLog' on computer '.' does not exist.". 

On a lark, I created the OutLog event source, and wound up with a different exception as follows.

Any ideas?  Is this supposed to work with a Sager NP8152 with Windows 10 Home?

-------------------------------------------------------

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at (Object , FormWindowState )
   at 徖ผཀྵ๗�߅伝兰.헞纯㈦}鉔䴈(Object , FormWindowState ᓵ릉㠾䅋䛣翑㙡)
   at 婡ᘪᮏ䠎凞끩죘븼.㉳守礗骣⻮工쬥.烧ಠ茄朗蟁ﷁ(Object 链珆�묥隮꼅, StartupNextInstanceEventArgs 踡ﺤ쩓塢燾௃⪂뿂)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnStartupNextInstance(StartupNextInstanceEventArgs eventArgs)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnStartupNextInstanceMarshallingAdaptor(Object args)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
LEDKB
    Assembly Version: 0.0.6.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.6.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Hotkey/LEDKB.exe
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
胮꬞澢淹ோꋸLj
    Assembly Version: 0.0.65535.65535
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.ServiceProcess
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll
OpenHardwareMonitorLib
    Assembly Version: 0.5.1.19
    Win32 Version: 0.5.1.19
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Hotkey/OpenHardwareMonitorLib.DLL
TrackBar
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2486.37933
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2486.37933
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Hotkey/TrackBar.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Is this expected to work with a Sager 8152?  Windows 10 Home.

sager8152.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Wow!

I just installed this application... and it is AWESOME!!! Thanks for creating it!

Audio Mode is incredible! Especially combined with MilkDrop2 on the display!!!

...and thanks for making it available off-site. This is running just fine on Sager-stock P370em, Sager Hotkey v-8.0.100, Windows 10.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2016 at 9:02 PM, Locarno said:

I tried to run v. 0.6.0 and ran into the attached exception, with the inner exception  "The event log 'OutLog' on computer '.' does not exist.". 

On a lark, I created the OutLog event source, and wound up with a different exception as follows.

Any ideas?  Is this supposed to work with a Sager NP8152 with Windows 10 Home?

-------------------------------------------------------

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at (Object , FormWindowState )
   at 徖ผཀྵ๗�߅伝兰.헞纯㈦}鉔䴈(Object , FormWindowState ᓵ릉㠾䅋䛣翑㙡)
   at 婡ᘪᮏ䠎凞끩죘븼.㉳守礗骣⻮工쬥.烧ಠ茄朗蟁ﷁ(Object 链珆�묥隮꼅, StartupNextInstanceEventArgs 踡ﺤ쩓塢燾௃⪂뿂)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnStartupNextInstance(StartupNextInstanceEventArgs eventArgs)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnStartupNextInstanceMarshallingAdaptor(Object args)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
LEDKB
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
胮꬞澢淹ோꋸLj
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.ServiceProcess
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll
OpenHardwareMonitorLib
TrackBar

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Is this expected to work with a Sager 8152?  Windows 10 Home.

sager8152.png

I think HotKey (aka Clevo Control Center) has changed significantly since this tool was developed.  The last version (which I uninstalled) doesn't have these DLL/EXE s referenced in your above email (I didn't check the other system files):

LEDKB
胮꬞澢淹ோꋸLj
OpenHardwareMonitorLib
TrackBar

Does anyone know if there is a chance that some enterprising individual could develop a Clevo keyboard app that does not require Clevo Control Center?  The control center has caused me and many others no end of grief (like system stability and overheating hardware).  All I really want is the keyboard light controller.

I thought about trying to see if I could rip the keyboard light app out of CCC and disable the rest, but I'm not sure that is possible since I suspect there may be one monolithic service that handles everything.

I'm really not sure about that at all...

Anyone know how the keyboard light API works?  Even a simple tool to turn off the lights would be nice (the stay on a solid blue color without CCC...).

On 15/11/2016 at 8:10 PM, FredSRichardson said:

Does anyone know if there is a chance that some enterprising individual could develop a Clevo keyboard app that does not require Clevo Control Center?  The control center has caused me and many others no end of grief (like system stability and overheating hardware).  All I really want is the keyboard light controller.

I thought about trying to see if I could rip the keyboard light app out of CCC and disable the rest, but I'm not sure that is possible since I suspect there may be one monolithic service that handles everything.

I'm really not sure about that at all...

Anyone know how the keyboard light API works?  Even a simple tool to turn off the lights would be nice (the stay on a solid blue color without CCC...).

I've been tinkering a lot with the Clevo Control Center (aka. Hotkeys) to implement my own control apps (For Keyboard Color control and Fan control). 

It is possible to have the system running without the main Control Center app, but it comes with a lot of small applications being one of them the driver that talks to the EC and exposes a WMI interface (If I'm not wrong it's called PowerBiosServer). It should be possible to extract the PowerBiosServer and install it manually. 

In my case my SSD got corrupted, and it affected the Clevo Hotkey Control Center app, rendering it unable to start. But the PowerBiosServer service was still working and my apps which were using the WMI interface were still able to change the Keyboard Colors.

BTW: If you would manage to install the PowerBiosServer without Clevo Control Center. You can turn the Keyboard colors off by using PoswerShell (With Admin privileges) and execute this code:

$clevo = get-wmiobject -query "select * from CLEVO_GET" -namespace "root\WMI"
$clevo.SetKBLED( [Convert]::ToUInt32("0000a000", 16)  ) 

Greetings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone who might be interested in picking up the torch for this project down the line, I've adapted what Mark Baggett wrote to set the backlight, then integrated it into The Silent Guy's backlight app, since when clevo made changes to their Clevo Control Center (a.k.a. HotKey), it also made his app no longer functional.

Original app: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUgXR_a-5lI

My changes: https://www.facebook.com/petekaboom/videos/1563645687031095/ (not much different, it's just functional again)

I'll provide the github project for the DLL, which is in VB.NET, and it also includes a C# project in it that provides a simple & barebone implementation of it.

https://github.com/peterdhl88/Clevo-LED-Beats

The VB script was adapted from this https://github.com/MarkBaggett/MarkBaggett/blob/master/set-kbled.ps1, but although I managed to get C# to access the powershell script eventually, the application kept throwing a large number of exceptions, and the implementation was really clunky at best. With VB.NET, aside from being able to cleanly call the function to set the backlight, I was also able to implement threading, though I'm unsure of how well it runs. Worst case, can always just removing the parts that performs the threading really easily.

In case anyone just wants the The Silent Guy's app w/ my working changes, or just the source code for it, it's down below.

App: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ti46vuj2nfn4jwy/BeatLeds_Build.zip
Source Code: https://www.mediafire.com/file/f232d34rf3yb5c0/BeatLeds.zip

Also, running the app is going to require administrative rights, and there's a high chance that anti-virus will remove the .exe (bitdefender kept removing mine).

I can't go around this, as the app needs to interface with WMI in order to set the lights on the keyboard.

On 17/6/2013 at 11:27 AM, savvas said:

custom light controller (for 8 color keyboards only!)

post-11025-14494996265446_thumb.jpg

post-11025-1449499568782_thumb.jpg

-What it is:

This is a custom backlight controller intended for Clevo models with backlit keyboards. It is a replacement for the standard Clevo keyboard app. By default it works like the original. If you want to take advantage of some of the advanced effects you’ll have to set the app to start with windows (there are all sorts of option in the settings page, top right)

-Project status:

A first public beta is available for download

-Issues/bugs:

-Prerequisites:

-Hotkey driver MUST be installed and working.

-.NET 4.5 is required. Windows 8 have it by default. Other systems need to install it by hand.

-Installation:

Run the setup and follow the instructions

-New effects

So far we have 3 new effects:

1) Temperature/Usage lighting. Some of you will probably already know that one. It's using pizzadude223's code. Lights change depending on temperature of CPU/GPU. Dual GPU's supported

2) Audio lighting. Lights change depending on intensity of the music. Keep in mind that lowering the latency will increase CPU usage so try to find the sweet spot on your system

3) Heartbeat. Lights follow a heartbeat pattern that increases in speed according to CPU usage

4)Adaptive color effect

This effect works for applications that run in non-exclusive mode. That means windows apps and games running in either windowed or borderless modes only (ie no fullscreen).

This mode lets you color the keyboard based on what happens on the screen.

You have 2 basic modes, “Aero” which basically colors the keyboard according to the aero color in windows and “Screen Average” which scans the screen to determine what the average color is.

When you use Screen Average you have certain extra ways to tweak your color. You can choose whether to use a single color for the whole keyboard or use a different one for each keyboard region. When you use 3 colors, each color is decided based on what happens on the screen part that’s over that region.

You can further tweak coloring by specifying what part of the screen will take place in the decision. You can have the whole screen or just the lower or upper half. That’s useful if for example you’re playing a game that most action takes place in only half the screen. For example in a racing game the upper half of the screen is usually just sky.

There is an option that will affect the sensitivity to color changes, that’s what the minimum diversion does. Lower will be more sensitive.

You can also choose whether you want brightness to vary with colors or not. The minimum brightness makes sure that the brightness will not fall under any circumstances bellow that limit.

The update rate is like in other effects the speed by which the effect refreshes. A word of notice on this one, this effect is a very complex operation; it’s not a simple thing. If you overdo it you will get a SEVERE performance hit. I find that 50ms is a good compromise between speed and performance.

Keep in mind that this is still a BETA.

It means that bugs are normal to be found. We will try to address them in turn but you’ll have to be patient.

I’d welcome any comments or bugs you may have to report but in order to make it easier I want you to always post your specs along with a detailed explanation of what you are reporting.

Also make sure that the problem is repeatable.

-Licenses

This is freeware. You may use it freely. I would appreciate distributors interested contacting one us of first

if you would like to support our effort:

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post" target="_top">

<input name="cmd" value="_s-xclick" type="hidden">

<input name="hosted_button_id" value="DV2X6ELM4Q4SN" type="hidden">

<input src="https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donate_LG.gif" name="submit" alt="PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!" border="0" type="image">

pixel.gif

</form>

-Themes

Apart from the default themes (That you can switch via the settings menu) you can create your own too. The app’s theme engine is modular. It means that you can theme only the items you want, without the need to change everything. It is very flexible but it has it’s limits so be careful if you’re a newbie. If your theme crashes the app, just delete it and the functionality will be restored.

The themes are each stored in a unique folder located in Hotkey’s installed location (c:\Program Files (x86)\Hotkey\themes).

The theme’s name is its folder name.

You will see that there is a “template” theme. It’s a guide to help you on your first steps. Be sure to read both the readme.txt as well as the theme.txt placed in there. They describe most of the stuff you’ll need…

-Download

You can download the app from here or from out site: clevomods | home of the Custom light controller and LightFX library

-Changelog

0.0.6.0: 2/11/13

-added effect 'adaptive color'. Mode to drive colors/brightness based on aero color or average screen color

-fixed colorwheel bug now showing properly on custom color panel

-fixed not resuming after sleep bug

-added tray access to effects& profiles

0.0.5.9: 14/10/13

-bugfix with non admin execution of app

0.0.5.8: 14/10/13

-added theme support

-fixed colorwheel bug now showing properly on custom color cycle panel

-added brightness driven only mode to audio panel

0.0.5.7: 25/9/13

-added new rendering modes to audio panel

-added import/export in custom color cycles

-added temperature/usage driven brightness in temperature panel

-newer hardware monitoring library(better support for Haswell CPUs)

-fixed application positioning when taskbar is in a position other than bottom

-fixed tray icon bug missing sometimes

-beat detection algorithm tweaks

-audio panel tweaks

-fixed flickering on progressbars

0.0.5.6: 12/9/13

-bugfixes crash during startup on some systems

-better exception catching

-better SM series compatibility

-better tray temperature handling(for those who were experiencing hangs in temperature mode after running the app for some time)

-better powersavings behavior

-added installer

-Also in this version you don't need to close ledkb in order for LightFX to work.

When ledkb is running, it detects whether LightFX is in use. If it is, it "pauses" ledkb until LightFX is finished (i.e. you exit the game) and then resumes.

0.0.5.5: 5/9/13

-bugfixes hide from alt-tab when minimized to tray

0.0.5.4: 15/8/13

-bugfixes causing crash on startup

0.0.5.3: 12/8/13

-replaced colorstrip with an animated alienware style colorwheel

-added brightness slider in custom color panel

0.0.5.2: 30/7/13

-Added new effect. Custom Color cycle. You can create a user specified sequence of lighting.

-Added tray icons for temperatures in Temperature mode.

0.0.5.1: 17/7/13

-Fixed starting with Windows with Administrative rights (You will still need to run the app as Administrator in order to set this option)

-Minor fixes in resizing

-Fixes in trigger mechanism

0.0.5.0: 13/7/13

-Fixed Haswell CPUs temperature monitoring

-Added windowed mode with floating resizable windows

0.0.4.9: 11/7/13

-Custom temperature colors and temperature ranges

-Option to disable polling when on battery

-Option to disable LightFX library (You still have to install it separately)

-GUI is cleaner, most of the options are up top now

post-11025-14494995536785_thumb.jpg

post-11025-1449499568853_thumb.jpg

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.5.6.zip

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.5.7.zip

post-11025-14494996264282_thumb.jpg

post-11025-14494996264871_thumb.jpg

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.5.9.zip

Backlight Controller with LightFX v0.0.6.0.zip

good

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Thank you for working on this! I am willing to Beta Test, if you still need more people; I have a Sager NP9150 (Clevo P150EM), with the AMD 7970M/Intel HD 4000... I will provide honest and thorough feedback, after extensive testing...