You should probably keep it in a ventilated area until the smell goes away though I doubt it's toxic. However, there was another member here at T|I that had a system w/that smell and it didn't go away at all and he was stuck wtith it. So keep an eye on it for about a week and it it doesn't go away, contact your vendor.

Edit: Here's that thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/8885-w230ss-nasty-smell-cooling.html#post121305

Thank you very much for this input Brian.

I followed the link and read it through.

Of course I don't know if my problem is the same as the other gentleman, hopefully not, but then again, it may be.

I was also thinking of thermal paste, as I seem to recall a similar type odor after I repasted a desktop a few years ago. It did finally go away, but I can't remember how long it took. Then again, that situation had much better ventilation.

So you think if it is a "normal" burn-in that should go away after about a week of what, leaving it on for 24/7, while plugged in?

Right now it is only used intermittantly. I haven't even played a game on it yet.

So far the GPU hasn't had a need to even kick in, and Optimus and the CPU are handling all the normal stuff.

It only arrived a couple of weeks ago and I'm still transferring data from my old PC and and downloading a few 64 bit apps.

I haven't started getting headaches, or anything yet, but I am concerned about the air that I breathe, and the potential of long term toxic effects.

I'll follow your advice, if it still smells after another week or so. I will most definitely contact LPC-Digital and let them know about it.

Thank you again for the input and link.

good answer and another quality post done, just two more to go ;)

especially for populating the secondary ram slots under the keyboard a service manual can indeed be very practical :)

I have a question regarding this.

Every post I have made so far takes a very long time (sometimes hours) before it actually posts, due to the necessity of a moderator reviewing each post first.

So far a couple of my posts addressing this have not appeared. Evidently at TechInferno "members" not allowed to even ask a question regarding this "policy." But since you are a Senior Member I will attempt to ask you.

Does this post by post moderator review process continue after one has met the 5 post minimum?

I am finding it an extremely annoying and inefficient way of communicating with other forum members here, as there is no way to acheive a timely response of any kind if someone happens to be on-line at the same time as myself.

I have repetitively "timed-out" over here waiting for my posts to "post."

This policy does NOT exist at other reputable Tech websites, and if it is an ongoing policy here then I will likely NOT be making many more posts at this website.

ADMIN ANSWER: Refer to our forum rules here for clarification - http://forum.techinferno.com/misc.php?do=showrules Once you cross 5 posts, they are no longer moderated. This policy has been set in place to prevent spam + abuse of T|I resources.

• Founder

No problem and like the other guy, I'd consider opening up your laptop and making sure there's no epoxy or paste leaking out causing the smell. Put the laptop near an open window and let it run with a benchmarking program looping so it can burn off and expel the gas. But like I said, if it fails to go away or it smells like it's actually burning something (e.g. busted cap, plastic burning smell etc) then call LPC and exchange it.

Well, I have FIVE "official" posts here now, (six if this post, posts), and I am still not allowed to download the Service Manual.

I have NOT posted any SPAM.

So I can only deduce that I have yet to meet the "QUALITY" definition.

I will continue to search google for a download site that hopefully won't be as restrictive as here.

• Founder

@Cassus_Belli the rules are there for a reason and complaining will do no good as they are set in stone at this point. But lucky you, you've gone to 5+ (despite two being complaint posts) and can now download whatever you want all thanks to T|I making these resources available to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha, I was about to say thanks, and count that as one post towards being able to download it, but I suspect my timing isn't wonderful considering the last 2 posts! Not sure I really "need" the manual, though. Was more curious to know what clevo thinks they know that I don't :) Had this thing apart a lot (P150HM, and only apart for nonsense reasons, no real issues until recently....video card is trying to fry. Can you guess why I registered here!? :) )

Anyhow, regardless of post counts, whether I need the manual, etc, thanks for fidning those and posting them. When I was less experienced with computers I know having the manual around always made me feel more comfortable taking them apart.....and even with great systems devised to keep screws in order for reinstall, sometimes you still get the machine back together and have a screw left over, so thanks!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can you please post the P650RE6-G service manual?

P65XRE6 would be my guess as to which it is.

I'm assuming the P65x%% ones posted will be close, but since there are multiple with the same prefix, they may be different.

Edited by HTML

8 hours ago, HTML said:

Can you please post the P650RE6-G service manual?

P65XRE6 would be my guess as to which it is.

I'm assuming the P65x%% ones posted will be close, but since there are multiple with the same prefix, they may be different.

The closest I could find on my crazy desktop was the one for P67XRG:

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/service-manuals/

Thanks Prema, it is very close and will get me started until/if I ever start doing mods where the schematics will come in handy... even then, it seems fairly close.

The 17" model does have some differences involving GPU and audio (sub).

I appreciate the link to the site, It allowed me to look through the service manuals while I am still in Pre-Promotion status.

If you or anyone gets a copy of the manual for my model, I'd appreciate a PM.

I'm going to reach out to Eluktronics, who put together my base configuration for a copy.

On 12/25/2015 at 10:49 PM, HTML said:

Thanks Prema, it is very close and will get me started until/if I ever start doing mods where the schematics will come in handy... even then, it seems fairly close.

The 17" model does have some differences involving GPU and audio (sub).

I appreciate the link to the site, It allowed me to look through the service manuals while I am still in Pre-Promotion status.

If you or anyone gets a copy of the manual for my model, I'd appreciate a PM.

I'm going to reach out to Eluktronics, who put together my base configuration for a copy.

Just put your RE model ESM up there, too.

Merry Christmas! :)

On 12/26/2015 at 5:20 PM, Prema said:

Just put your RE model ESM up there, too.

Merry Christmas! :)

OMG, thank you.... :)

I hope you had a Merry Christmas

FYI: It looks like you have it 2x on your site  now.

On 1/2/2016 at 2:18 AM, Pathfindercod said:

Is there a manual that shows how to replace the back lid on the new Phoenix laptop?  My unit came scratched and the reseller had Sager drop ship a lid to me.

Thanks!

What do you mean by back lid?

As in the back of the display, the bottom of the laptop, etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome, this is the only place that I've been able to find the service manual for the P770DM-G Series.. hopefully the site will allow me to access the download in time.  I'm dealing with some interesting issues on a system in production.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, one of the reasons I am looking for the P650RE/P650RG service manual, is to see if there are any specific BIOS flash procedures I should be observing.  The updated BIOS CD's come with a variety of ways to flash the BIOS/EC, but they do not provide any instructions for this particular model of laptop.  I have flashed these laptops successfully on several occasions, however, I have recently had two that bricked on me, due to the flash program crashing during the flash process in windows.  I would like to get the proper flash order/procedure set up for DOS application, but a little explanation on all the tools, preset modes, and programs would be beneficial.

On 1/2/2016 at 11:18 PM, Pathfindercod said:

Is there a manual that shows how to replace the back lid on the new Phoenix laptop?  My unit came scratched and the reseller had Sager drop ship a lid to me.

Thanks!

You are referring to the P650RE or RG models?  I can post step by step instructions with pictures if you need.

Edit: Not applicable. Phoenix model is P870DM(-G), I have not worked on those.

Edited by Blacktape
irrelevant post.. unable to delete.

Ok, I found the P65xSE, SG, and SA models on your ESM listing, but I haven't seen any mention of the P650RG, and P650RE models. After looking though the Service Manual, it appears the chassis are Identical, and the operative changes are the Nvidia chips. For now, that is an insignificant difference for my uses.. though other departments aren't going to take it with a grain of salt, so I am still looking for the specific ESM's for both the RG and RE.

• Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic