Graphics upgrade for MSI GT680 (MS-16F2)

AusMatt

I have an MSI GT680 gaming laptop.

It's got the i7-2630QM CPU and the NVIDIA 460m video.

Unfortunately the NVIDIA 460m video is too under powered for the 1080 screen of the laptop so I'm looking at video card upgrade options.

Note that this is a discrete GPU only laptop and it's using a BIOS (not UEFI).

I'm reading that some people have had success with installing an AMD Radeon HD 7970m but there are some issues.

I'd like to summarise what I've read and ask for comment as to whether I'm on the right track.

My current thoughts are:

• Get a 180W power brick to replace the current 150W
  • Get a Dell 7970m with a version 015.017 vBIOS

[*]Get a heat sink for the 7970m (as I don't want to risk the Dremel method)

My concerns are:

• How to avoid shutdowns due to excess power use
    • Is this just a matter of running the unlocked BIOS and ThrottleStop or is there more I need to do in the way of software or hardware mods to deliver more power to the GPU ?

[*]Heat issues....

• Is it advisable to cut a hole in the chassis to increase air flow ?

[*]I'm also looking for any Australian suppliers for the replacement GPU and Heat Sink as postage is expensive from the U.K. or U.S.

I look forward to any insightful posts.

Thanks in Advance.

Hey there.

I'm running 2920xm and 6990m just fine on a 150w PSU. The 7970m draws less power so you should be fine. :) Shut downs won't be an issue, I'm running my 65W with a 6990m and have yet to get a force shutdown. Although, I will get forced shutdowns if I run on only battery.

For the upgrade you will need a GX660 heatsink and dremel. You may need ThrottleStop to prevent CPU throttling. A modified BIOS is not necessary if you already have the UEFI boot option but it will unlock your CPU TDP so it can turbo longer. No harm really in having more performance. I do believe your CPU maybe a bottleneck in certain situations. Perhaps finding an ES 2920xm or 2860QM might be a wise investment.

Cutting a hole won't make a tangible difference. The fan draws air from the keyboard, not the bottom. It's up to you really.

Ebay is your best bet for those obscure parts.

The 770m GTX works in this notebook so that's an alternative.

Hey there.

I'm running 2920xm and 6990m just fine on a 150w PSU. The 7970m draws less power so you should be fine. :) Shut downs won't be an issue, I'm running my 65W with a 6990m and have yet to get a force shutdown. Although, I will get forced shutdowns if I run on only battery.

For the upgrade you will need a GX660 heatsink and dremel. You may need ThrottleStop to prevent CPU throttling. A modified BIOS is not necessary if you already have the UEFI boot option but it will unlock your CPU TDP so it can turbo longer. No harm really in having more performance. I do believe your CPU maybe a bottleneck in certain situations. Perhaps finding an ES 2920xm or 2860QM might be a wise investment.

Cutting a hole won't make a tangible difference. The fan draws air from the keyboard, not the bottom. It's up to you really.

Interesting.

I read somewhere that the AMD 7970m has a TDP of 100W vs 72W for the NVIDIA 460m.

This is why I assume I need the 30W larger power brick.

The Internet seems to say that the 6990m has the same TDP as the 7970m (100W) though some say the 6990m could be up to 125W.

As for the CPU, that 2860QM is way to expensive... I wouldn't go past the 2820QM but for now am happy to stick with my current CPU.

Several people are adamant that I need to upgrade my power brick... Not sure why you don't.

I don't want to Dremel and know that I can get the correct heat sink from the notebookreview marketplace.

I don't have UEFI. This is an MSI GT680 with a BIOS (not UEFI). Is that a problem ?

• 5 weeks later...
Hey there.

Hey Xonar,

I bit the bullet and bought a GTX770m for the MS-16F2, although I'm having installation problems. The computer won't detect the card (Nvidia drivers, GPU-z), although I can see that Nvidia autodetect is identifying the new card. Any idea on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Well, the guy I bought it from was largely selling these cards for Alienware rigs so I suppose the vBios installed is configured for an Alienware setup. Do you know of any souce/place I can get appropriate GTX770 vBios? I've been talking with svl7 and he's been focusing on writing a config file to force install the drivers, although that hasn't worked yet.

post-15385-144949958017_thumb.gif

post-15385-1449499580114_thumb.gif

post-15385-14494995801334_thumb.png

When moving from a 570m to a 770m will a heatsink modification be needed? I can't really make it out from compairing the two cards =/

I think 770m uses same PCB layout as 680/780m. So no. Unless you want to dremel away the heatsink.

Sent from my HTC Sensation

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
hello I have a msi gt780dx and I am wondering if this gpu will work in my rig New NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3 0 Type B for Clevo Alienware MSI | eBay and what I will have to do to get it to work. Or if there is a better nvidia gpu option.

Yes it will work, I bought the same one from the same seller but sent from the uk to avoid customs and tax, you'll need a modified .inf to install the display drivers.

Is that ebay user ok to deal with. Also will it work for sure with the Barebone MS-16F2. Just that i have had a dodgy ATI card once already and don't want to go down that road again.

• 2 months later...

Hello! Hope someone can help me.. I recently bought a 675m for my GT673DXR, 570m was dead. Seems to be working but when I install the nvidia drivers, the screen turns black after Windows logo. Could anyone help me with that? Thanks in advance

Hello! Hope someone can help me.. I recently bought a 675m for my GT673DXR, 570m was dead. Seems to be working but when I install the nvidia drivers, the screen turns black after Windows logo. Could anyone help me with that? Thanks in advance

Is you're screen just turning black or is the notebook shutting down?? I had a similar time with a 580m (same as a 675m) causing hard shutdowns. I think it was an issue of the card being 100w and too much for the mobo. Also, have you tried flashing a MSI vBIOS to it??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I have an MSI GT680 gaming laptop.

It's got the i7-2630QM CPU and the NVIDIA 460m video.

Unfortunately the NVIDIA 460m video is too under powered for the 1080 screen of the laptop so I'm looking at video card upgrade options.

Note that this is a discrete GPU only laptop and it's using a BIOS (not UEFI).

I'm reading that some people have had success with installing an AMD Radeon HD 7970m but there are some issues.

I'd like to summarise what I've read and ask for comment as to whether I'm on the right track.

My current thoughts are:

• Get a 180W power brick to replace the current 150W
  • Get a Dell 7970m with a version 015.017 vBIOS

[*]Get a heat sink for the 7970m (as I don't want to risk the Dremel method)

My concerns are:

• How to avoid shutdowns due to excess power use
    • Is this just a matter of running the unlocked BIOS and ThrottleStop or is there more I need to do in the way of software or hardware mods to deliver more power to the GPU ?

[*]Heat issues....

• Is it advisable to cut a hole in the chassis to increase air flow ?

[*]I'm also looking for any Australian suppliers for the replacement GPU and Heat Sink as postage is expensive from the U.K. or U.S.

I look forward to any insightful posts.

Thanks in Advance.

I got both gx60 with a hd7970m and gt680 with gtx460m. Used hd7970m heatsink and fan to gt680. Both systems have Windows 7 x64. Firstly i thought bios wont boot, but after i heard Windows starting sound whole black screen seems meaningless. Tried gt680 with hd7970m to different hdmi output and nonsense. Thermal paste and other coolers components are intact. I got a booting Windows but no display at all. I ll be thankful for any ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Right it seems Windows as you stated boots.

So head over to http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/4428-modified-clevo-7970m-vbios-pack-non-enduro.html and download the vbios from there this will allow the Display to show hopefully.

Then head over to http://forum.techinferno.com/amd-video-cards/1738-%5Bguide%5D-amd-vbios-flashing.html#post21467 to read on how to flash a AMD card!

Hope this helps!

Just make sure you save the Original vBios before continuing so that you can recover the card if flashing fails.

• 1 month later...

I had exactly same problem, external monitor works.

reflashing MSI vBIOS fixed this.

• 11 months later...

Hi, i have a msi gt680r with gtx 460m and i want upgrade it, i search alienware gtx 770m, because it is economy, this card it's compatible with my notebook?If no, where is the model compatible?Thanks