Is Clevo known for fan noise issues?

Question

Thanks, i will check those out. Will it shorten processor life though?

Prema : Any particular reason for that? I mean you were able to edit the fan profiles for your custom bios/ec right?

atm we can't do it via software, all are hardcodes and since each EC has about 84 values to control the 2 fans [Temperature(℃) Output Voltage (V) and Fan Duty (%)] and I am supporting 12 models and adding another 13 over the next months...no THX! :52_002:

It will not shorten cpu life. You cannot set it to the turbo boost speeds.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You can't set it to the turbo boost speeds? That means you can only get it to run at 100% of the base speed (e.g. if the processor is rated for 2.4-3.4 ghz, it can only run at 2.4?) Unless i'm misunderstanding what turbo boost does exactly...

I was reading a thread on throttle stop and it said that if you set the multiplier to one more than the default it goes to turbo boost mode?

Prema : Oh okay. What do you mean by hardcoding?

You can't set it to the turbo boost speeds? That means you can only get it to run at 100% of the base speed (e.g. if the processor is rated for 2.4-3.4 ghz, it can only run at 2.4?) Unless i'm misunderstanding what turbo boost does exactly...

I was reading a thread on throttle stop and it said that if you set the multiplier to one more than the default it goes to turbo boost mode?

Prema : Oh okay. What do you mean by hardcoding?

I may be wrong. Best to just try it and see.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Uh....but you told me you were able to modify the fan profiles in your custom BIOS?

Also just had another idea, what about undervolting the CPU so the temps stay a lot lower, which means the fan would hopefully not activate when under no/light load?

• 3 weeks later...
Uh....but you told me you were able to modify the fan profiles in your custom BIOS?

Also just had another idea, what about undervolting the CPU so the temps stay a lot lower, which means the fan would hopefully not activate when under no/light load?

As I said it needs the EC to be altered permanently.

As of now undervolt doens't work on SB or IB only HW.

I'm confused, you need the EC to modify the BIOS. Okay.

Isnt the EC a software like the BIOS? That every clevo laptop has?

The EC controls the fans not the BIOS (at least on current Clevos). EC can reside on the same flash chip...

Owned a Clevo W150ERQ last year and the fan noise under load (over 50db) was pretty much the only thing that annoyed me about it. However when idle or under light load, it was basically totally silent.

I have additional information to the "rattle sound" issue. I have removed the fan and put it back. It seems so, that after this, the "rattle sound" has vanished.

It seems so, that the fan has distorted a little and after the scews are loose and tight again, it was now plain.

So the Clevo is now very silent on low fan rpm and on medium and hight, you only hear the air and not the fan.

kind regars,

Dirk

I have additional information to the "rattle sound" issue. I have removed the fan and put it back. It seems so, that after this, the "rattle sound" has vanished.

It seems so, that the fan has distorted a little and after the scews are loose and tight again, it was now plain.

So the Clevo is now very silent on low fan rpm and on medium and hight, you only hear the air and not the fan.

kind regars,

Dirk

• 3 weeks later...

I have the P151SM1 and it's pretty loud even on idle. But my problem is really that the temperature keeps rising for some reason, forcing the fans to turn up. Then it'll turn down when it's cooler, then it gets hot again.....never-ending cycle.

I have the P151SM1 and it's pretty loud even on idle. But my problem is really that the temperature keeps rising for some reason' date=' forcing the fans to turn up. Then it'll turn down when it's cooler, then it gets hot again.....never-ending cycle.[/quote']

Sounds like it needs a clean and a repaste, that is assuming it gets hot again quickly. What max temps are you seeing?

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk 4

On my P170EM my fans only seem to kick in and get loud when it reaches 90 degrees on full load, and it bring it down to 83-85. To me that seems like too high of a threshold. I wish the fans would start speeding up sooner to keep the temperatures lower.

It's pretty hot during summer here though, I don't remember having that issue during winter time.

• 2 weeks later...

The W230ST fan is extremely loud, there is no middle-level, it is either VERY quiet or VERY loud. Starting any heavier application that requires some bigger CPU use will cause your fan yo suddenly spin to high RPMs. It is unacceptable for me as I want to use the computer in an office and during lectures. I hoping that someone will introduce a custom BIOS where the fan speed can be gradually adjusted.

well, you should flash the latest EC as it sometimes modifiy the fan table making idle stat more silent.

If it's noisy and overheating, Make sure the CPU/GPU is well "pasted" use MX or IC7.

But for enudro/optimus clevo, sometimes the GPU fan in idle keeps running even when the gpu is not used anymore, to deactivate it juste double press the fn+1 (turbo fan)