Is Clevo known for fan noise issues?

Question

I'd say CLEVO laptops are very loud when non integrated GPU is utilized. On 60+ degrees GPU fan is hitting very unpleasant volumes and in my case it's a matter of seconds running a game when GPU reaches this mark

It's not any louder than the MSI and Dell's I've used. It's a lot of heat to dissipate with a with such a small fan at high rpm. If they used something like 80mm fan it wouldn't have to spin that fast and wouldn't be as loud.

I have the NP9380-S as well. I have my headphones on whenever I'm using it, the fan noise is nothing to complain about in my opinion. You can't really expect too much from something that produces so much heat when it comes to fan loudness, I find it to be an excellent cooling solution.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The P157SM using Stock Bios 31 and EC 31 has the cycling (goes to medium for a few seconds every 2-3min) which is soo annoying. Premas mod for the P1xxSM has the fan on constant Low speed. The fan is really annoying on Low speed too if you just have it on not using and and try to watch a movie on your TV in the same room. So both solutions are terrible.

Maybe a fund-raiser to Prema can convince him to alter the EC fan profile so fan goes to medium when cores hit 65-70 instead of 55? That would make my day anyway!

So do the new Clevo models (SM series eg P370SM) still have this fan cycling on and off issue? I don't mind loud noises, but the constant cycling would probably drive me nuts...

To answer my own question: no, fan cycling is NOT an issue when just web browsing. Well except if I'm looping some music and doing an HD stream, then it might kick into medium gear for about 10 seconds before dropping into the lowest state.

When gaming the fans do spin faster, but I don't find them distracting at all, even if I force max fans when gaming. Overall I am actually quite pleased with how quiet my P370SM runs.

To answer my own question: no, fan cycling is NOT an issue when just web browsing. Well except if I'm looping some music and doing an HD stream, then it might kick into medium gear for about 10 seconds before dropping into the lowest state.

Seams like the P370SM might have better cooling solution then the P157SM.

Btw. Latest Prema Mod 1.1 for the P15xSM does have 2 different EC options (1 for cool running with constant fan and 1 for silent mode running with cycling).

I dont think there are any mods for the P37XSM series yet thou.

Regards

MrK

• 2 weeks later...