Is Clevo known for fan noise issues?

Question

Ive got a Horize P151EM1B, which is basically a contract built Clevo P151EM1. The fan noise from both the CPU and GPU are killing me. Apparently this is due to bad fan profiles? Are there any solutions at all?

1.CPU keeps revving up to very loud speeds then revving down again. This happens for a few seconds every few minutes, even when im doing nothing but web browsing.

2.GPU fan (GTX 670MX) is REALLY loud when running any 3d application.

Ive checked the temps and neither the CPU nor GPU are overheating...

I've found at least one other guy who has a similar issue. Is Clevo known for having noisy fans or did i just get a lemon? The retailer is suggesting that i send it back to be checked, but its going to cost a lot (heavy notebook + box) and they will probably tell me its "normal" or something.

• Founder

Do you have a lot of active background processes active? Some virus scanners can cause the CPU load to spike every few mins. @Kheglish and @Prema can probably help you more with regards to what to do for fan noise and profiles.

The only virus scanner i have is microsoft security essentials, so i doubt thats it. I do notice the occasional 5-10% CPU spike though.

Thermal grease is diamond carat i believe. I dont think i can change it without voiding warranty....

Okay ive got the prema bios installed. Helps a bit, but not much.

Is there any way i can contact Prema other than his blog?

Also noticed that the GPU fan will not shut down after closing a 3d application. The gpu fan will keep blowing for hours and hours non stop. Only way to stop it seems to be to shut down/restart/hibernate the laptop, or start up a program like GPU-Z. Has anyone noticed this happening with any clevo notebooks before?

• 2 weeks later...

Its the second point on top of the feature list on top of the P-EM page:

[*=left]Disable gpu fan after dGPU goes to sleep (Press FN+9 twice) (FN+1 for P151EM)

what bios and EC are you running, I've had issues with a different model which I think have been improved with new BIOS and EC versions (I could be wrong?)

my fan also spins up every few minutes, when the CPU hits 55°C the fan kicks in and brings it down to 39° then cuts out completely again - it could do with a minimum fan speed which would probably be enough to prevent this happening or make it less frequent.

Its the second point on top of the feature list on top of the P-EM page:

• [*=left]Disable gpu fan after dGPU goes to sleep (Press FN+9 twice) (FN+1 for P151EM)

Am i supposed to press this twice everytime i want the GPU fan to shut down or is this an automatic thing?

Calibre : Even with the prema bios my CPU fan keeps spinning up...like every minute (see :

)

I also recently purchased a P150SM, and the fan levels are pretty much the same as on my previous P150EM (Low speeds when browsing or using office programs - noticeable, but not too bad. And silent when there's no load.). I did read on NBR forums that some versions of the new P150SM, P157SM, and other related laptops had really loud fan behavior, but that it could be corrected with a BIOS fix. My laptop came from Mythlogic, and it was delayed because they wrote saying they had to do some tweaking. I'm thinking that they installed a newer version of the motherboard BIOS, because the fan behavior is pretty normal. I haven't checked yet, but perhaps Clevo will upload a new BIOS for the new P15xM series to their official support website, and maybe that will help.

Am i supposed to press this twice everytime i want the GPU fan to shut down or is this an automatic thing?...

No Everything is automatic.

There is a technical limitation of the original Clevo EC that it doesn't shut down the GPU fan when the NVIDIA/ATI card goes into sleeping state.

To work arround that you can shut it down manually by putting the Fans on full blast (FN+9/FN+1) and disable full blast again, after that the GPU fan will be OFF (if dGPU is in-active)

I've purchased 3 months ago a Santech N77 (Clevo P150EM) laptop. With the factory bios I have had noise problems not only during full load of cpu but also several times while browsing. After upgrading to the latest stock bios my laptop work like a charme! Now the fan works only when needed...

cheers

clevos have a lot of problems with fans cycling on and off all the time at low temps which is very annoying. updating to latest ec firmware can improve things. In the end I got rid of my p150hm because of the fans. now got an msi gt70 which only has one fan and the noise is barely audible on normal usage and not that loud in games.

The fans in my old NP8170 weren't bad at all, as well as my new NP9390.

I did notice them at the start, but I got used to the sound. It also helps having music playing to drown out the noise of the fans as well.

always depends on ur perspective: if uve got nothing else to do than actively listening to any potential fan noise then sure clevos have huuuge issues with fan noise. if, on the other hand, ure actually DOING smth on ur machine like working, gaming, watching movies then no, u wont notice the fans ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Its the on off cycling of the fans on idle on some clevos that can be annoying (p series in my experience). If gaming then louds fans are expected and shouldn't be of a concern. But If you want to also use it in a quiet office as an everyday pc then the cycling may become tedious.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I sent the laptop back to the retailer, only for them to discover that this behaviour is "Normal". Now they want to send the laptop back.

From what they tell me, the EC fan table is setup so that the fans will turn on when one of the cores reach 50 degrees and turn off once the cores are back down to 40 degrees. This was occuring even when i was doing nothing more intensive than reading a PDF file from a clean boot.

How did you guys upgrade to the latest stock bios? I was told clevo does not make bios updates publically available nor do they seem to have any on their website (IIRC). Besides, i already have the latest stock BIOS....

Prema's bios mod unfortunately didn't solve the problem. Can anyone think of anything that may help? Either hardware or software....

How do you check a particular EC fan table to see what fan profile it has?

No Everything is automatic.

There is a technical limitation of the original Clevo EC that it doesn't shut down the GPU fan when the NVIDIA/ATI card goes into sleeping state.

To work arround that you can shut it down manually by putting the Fans on full blast (FN+9/FN+1) and disable full blast again, after that the GPU fan will be OFF (if dGPU is in-active)

Okay so...in other words, i only need to do FN+1 twice, one time, and the GPU fan will be OFF everytime when the card goes to sleep after that?

Okay tried to PM Prema, but i can't access the PM system for some reason, so i might as well post here. Prema, can you tell us what values the fan profile for your custom P151EM1 BIOS/EC is set to?

Also would it be possible for a end user to modify said values? If yes, what are the steps involved?

i for one am using my laptop at work every day and ive yet had to encounter a situation where it was SO quiet that u would even notice the fans at all during idle. i mean, seriously, when is it ever so quiet in an office that one could hear a needle drop on the floor? cuz thats exactly what it would take to hear the fans at idle... imho its all about perspective. just dont make the mistake to actively listen and concentrate on the fans! who does that, anyways? i for one have way better things to do at work than that ;)

i for one am using my laptop at work every day and ive yet had to encounter a situation where it was SO quiet that u would even notice the fans at all during idle. i mean, seriously, when is it ever so quiet in an office that one could hear a needle drop on the floor? cuz thats exactly what it would take to hear the fans at idle... imho its all about perspective. just dont make the mistake to actively listen and concentrate on the fans! who does that, anyways? i for one have way better things to do at work than that ;)

Seems alot of people listen to the fans otherwise threads like these wouldn't exist. If you have nothing constructive to say then don't bother posting.

The problem is not the fans being on. A steady hum is expected when under load.

The problem is that the fans are completely off by default, but they keep turning on every minute or so. When that happens, the fans rev up and it generates a lot more noise in the first few seconds. This is a problem when the fans are set to start at 50 degrees celsius but the idle temp is 47. Im pretty sure most laptop manufacturers do not have this problem.

You know when you start a car, the engine is a lot more noisy for the first few seconds then it settles into a hum? It's like that.

Well...that wont work because it's the CPU fan that is doing this, not the GPU. The GPU is asleep by default as the laptop uses the integrated graphics.

I was hoping to get Prema to respond to see if theres a way to edit the fan profiles on his custom bios/EC....

Alternatively i suppose i could try forcing the processor to run full speed so that it runs hotter even when under no or light load. Any ideas on how to do that? But that will probably shorten the processor life right?

Well...that wont work because it's the CPU fan that is doing this, not the GPU. The GPU is asleep by default as the laptop uses the integrated graphics.

I was hoping to get Prema to respond to see if theres a way to edit the fan profiles on his custom bios/EC....

Alternatively i suppose i could try forcing the processor to run full speed so that it runs hotter even when under no or light load. Any ideas on how to do that? But that will probably shorten the processor life right?

Use throttlestop or modify the cpu settings in the power profiles.