I want to upgrade my i5 to I7 in my Y500. Do I need new motherboard?

jester_socom

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y400y500_hmm_1st_edition_sep_2012_english.pdf PAGE 78

According to the SKU list I see multiple types of motherboards also 35w and 45w versions.

So this made me think I can only upgrade to a 35w i7 if not at all.

I noticed a 200$ i7 3720QM on ebay.

Should I save up for new laptop? replacing mobo and cpu is kinda expensive

UPDATE

Found it myself. Apparently I can only upgrade to 35W i7 models. I'll just save up for Broadwell so I can start modding the 800 Nvidia GPUs when they arrive.

I don't use the laptop too much, so I didn't notice a difference in day to day, but I did get a pretty big bump in my physics scores in 3dmark 11. It went from high 3000's to mid 7000's. Something I thought was kinda

was the difference in die size:

post-12698-14494995532938_thumb.jpg

I don't use the laptop too much, so I didn't notice a difference in day to day, but I did get a pretty big bump in my physics scores in 3dmark 11. It went from high 3000's to mid 7000's. Something I thought was kinda

was the difference in die size:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7844[/ATTACH]

Are you really able to run a 3630QM off a 35W motherboard? Your motherboard only supplies 35W, not 45W according to the hardware maintainance manual. Just wondering.

Don't know where 35W motherboard is coming from but It must have to do with cooling capacity probably.

Are your temps much higher now? What about power consumption in CPUID HWMonitor? Can you give these values? Under Prime95 conditions if you can.

Could I just ask - what is the appeal in purchasing a better processor after buying the laptop? Isn't it more expensive and much more of a hassle to upgrade the processor yourself than to just have it installed at the factory?

Are you really able to run a 3630QM off a 35W motherboard? Your motherboard only supplies 35W, not 45W according to the hardware maintainance manual. Just wondering.

Don't know where 35W motherboard is coming from but It must have to do with cooling capacity probably.

Are your temps much higher now? What about power consumption in CPUID HWMonitor? Can you give these values? Under Prime95 conditions if you can.

Heres a shot of HWM and Prime. If core temp is correct, then the multiplier is stuck at 29. I tried to increase it via throttle stop, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7854[/ATTACH]

Probably because the motherboard is not putting out 45w. Here's my 3632QM for comparison. Identical basically.

post-8131-14494995543581_thumb.png

Hold up, so the cpu is socketed, I can just screw it out? Do I need to do something to the bios?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do I need to disassemble the entire thing to get to the cpu?

Yep, you need to disassemble to access the cpu. It is socket G2 iirc.

Probably because the motherboard is not putting out 45w. Here's my 3632QM for comparison. Identical basically.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7885[/ATTACH]

Googled the 3610QM which topped out at 3.0GHz on all cores.

So yes it is true.

Why just not make 1 motherboard for 45W. It's much more cost effective than having multiple SKUs

Still considering that beautiful i7 over a haswell y510p

After I bought the i5 version from newegg, by the time my y500 was delivered, the i7 version was on sale for the same price as I paid for the i5 (my luck ffs).

So its my understanding that the models that come with i5 and i7 has different watt outputs? (please let me know, just double checking)

So would I not get full power out of an i7? Is upgrading something that would be recommended?

The only i7 models that work are 3612QM and 3632QM.

Longterm you might want a 3612QM. If the VRMs or mosfets have less efficiency you might have a 3632QM only being able to get to 3612QM clock speeds.

The 3632QM and 3612QM are priced the same.

Wholesale - Buy China Wholesale Products from Chinese Wholesalers on DHgate.com is the best place to buy a cheap cpu. Or ebay. But dhgate was cheaper.

The 3612QM is still a big win :)

I will post within 8 days the VRM and MOSFET model numbers.

No. It can be upgraded to any of entry-level i7 (like 3610qm, 3630qm or 2630qm). Of course no the XM-version or higher QM version (3720 for example).

And in my country this i7 3610qm was for only 100$ (but used).

No. It can be upgraded to any of entry-level i7 (like 3610qm, 3630qm or 2630qm). Of course no the XM-version or higher QM version (3720 for example).

And in my country this i7 3610qm was for only 100$ (but used).

Is not important if is used (processor works ... or does not work) :chuncky:

The only i7 models that work are 3612QM and 3632QM.

Longterm you might want a 3612QM. If the VRMs or mosfets have less efficiency you might have a 3632QM only being able to get to 3612QM clock speeds.

The 3632QM and 3612QM are priced the same.

Wholesale - Buy China Wholesale Products from Chinese Wholesalers on DHgate.com is the best place to buy a cheap cpu. Or ebay. But dhgate was cheaper.

The 3612QM is still a big win :)

I will post within 8 days the VRM and MOSFET model numbers.