Replacing thermal paste & Max GPU overclock?

Samual Adam Strand

Hi Samual,

I've created a new thread for you to ask your question. You'll get more/better responses this way and keep the developer threads cleaner.

I personally use ICD24, but have also found Artic Cooling MX-2/3/4 to work great as well. I feel like AS5 is an average paste compared to today's market.

• 3 weeks later...

I avoid AS5 since it's conductive.

That's utter non-sense, AS5 has never been conductive and will never be. It is slightly capacitve, but you'll have a hard time damaging anything because of this.

I really don't see why so many people say AS5 is conductive, it's not a liquid metal paste.

That's utter non-sense, AS5 has never been conductive and will never be. It is slightly capacitve, but you'll have a hard time damaging anything because of this.

I really don't see why so many people say AS5 is conductive, it's not a liquid metal paste.

Thanks for the correction. If they were like me, they probably never actually tested AS5's resistance.

I guess it's one of those lies that's been repeated so many times, people think it's true.

I found MX-2 to be slightly better temperature-wise than AS5, plus it seemed easier to apply; so I never looked back after switching from AS5 to MX-2.

• 4 months later...

If you already have AS5 dont bother but mx-2 and mx-4 are really decent pastes that are non conductive - work well and can be bought in larger tube volumes at much better price per gram price points.

thats assuming your going to want paste for the future i personally use alot of it for benching and replacing many paste's on other components so a 20 or 30 gram tube is nice.

MX-2 has a 65 gram tube for around 30$ on the market so thats why i keep MX-2 as a option.

Now there are slightly better pastes currently on the market (1-2*C Cooler) but they typically are either messy / conductive / or liquid like.

Those types of thermal "pastes" i don't like to recommend as the chance to cause problems are there even for advanced users.

I would recommend getting this: Amazon.com: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArctiClean 60 ML Kit: Computers & Accessories since it has both the compound and the cleaner so you don't have to worry about finding isopropyl alcohol solutions. This is if you already haven't purchased thermal compound. I can verify that most MSI pastings are kinda bad and will definitely affect temperatures and that IC Diamond is kinda viscous and it's more of apply and leave instead of apply and spread as thinly as possible.