Lenovo y500 msata ssd windows 8 fresh install help

Laurensius Lukito

Ok so i believe there are ppl who have talked about this matter, so it would be great if u can help me answer my question , so this is my first time doing a fresh windows install for msata ssd, and im planning to install my laptop with win8 to my crucial m4 msata, i have been looking for the guide in the internet and i found the guide for this install. I just need a clarification if im doing it in a correct order , So here is what ill probably do

1) Remove the chassis

2) take out my 16 gb msata ssd and replace it with crucial m4 256 gb

3) put the chassis back and turn on the laptop and press f2 for bios

4) Turn UEFI off and turn Legacy support on (SSD support). Q1)ok im not really sure where the uefi and legacy are in bios? where can i find it? )

5) set the boot sequence to ssd first

7)Connect an USB/DVD player of your choice to the laptop with a copy of Windows 8 on it/in it.

8) reboot, Install Windows 8 on the SSD. You don't need a key or anything. The key is already in the laptop.

9. Check your TRIM settings to optimize the SSD performance. ( Q2.can someone tell me what TRIM is and where to find them?)

10. Uncheck defrag and indexing. (If this is the right term in English).

12. Format the HDD, remove the stupid Lenovo partitions, and make some partitions of your choice. I went with 800gb - 200gb. 800gb for all my media, videos and downloads. 200gb for programs which I don't want to install on the SSD.

So here it is what i will do and

One more thing that im not really sure, when i did my fresh win7 installation, i always set the boot order to dvd first , so would that be okay if i set my boot from the ssd first? would the win8 be automatically installed ?

As far as i know all of it looks correct. You can ignore options 9 and 10 for an SSD Windows 8 Install, it will do it by default when it detects an SSD and not a mechanical hard drive. Once you've installed Win8. Yes you can change the boot priority back to the SSD first. Just know anytime you need to boot from another hard drive or USB disk you need to change it to the correct disk.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

OK, why do you have to turn off UEFI for the mSATA? If you are going to use it as a cache drive it makes sense, but for a fresh (retail bought) version of Windows 8, why would you get "Blue Screens"? I am not saying anyone is wrong, but this does not make sense to me. I understand that if you do an image or have a "legacy" partition, there might be a problem. I am going to do a Full Windows 8 install from a bought copy that use to be on my old laptop. I will get all the drivers and remove all the bloat from my current install. Has anyone done this, and still had UEFI problems? just wondering if this is specific to the lenovo Y500 or not. Cheers!

I agree with wed_wabbit; why are you choosing to install Win8 in Legacy? You might as well go for Secure Boot and UEFI.

UEFI vs Legacy has nothing to do with SSD support; it's purely to do with the boot process.

There are several guides on how to optimise Win performance using SSD, and to keep read/write to minimum. They involve fun things like disabling prefetch, superfetch, and a few others. Google is your friend.

Probably because UEFI doesn't even see win8 usb stick as a bootable device. Had the same problem - had to revert to Legacy to install Windows.

The stick definitely had an EFI loader on it, so it's very strange.

I had the same problem about UEFI not recognizing my USB stick as a bootable UEFI device.

However after obtaining a legitimate Windows 8 ISO and using the tutorial on this site (i used Rufus to create a usb bootdisk), UEFI detected the USB stick and booted from it.

It also recognized my Windows 8 serial that's embedded in UEFI, and Windows 8 was activated without a problem :)

I have something against these steps. I have the Y500 and after I placed a Samsung 840 PRO SSD 256GB I did the following: 1. Created the Windows 8 x64 USB with Rufus for UEFI. 2. In Bios made sure I have UEFI selected and not Legacy. 3. Booted from USB, select repair computer, advanced settings/tools and selected cmd where I typed: 3a. diskpart 3b. list disk 3c. select disk 1 (0 was the small ssd cache,1 was the SSD PRO 256GB) 3d. clean 3e. convert GPT 3f. exit. 4. Reboot 5. Started installation from USB Windows 8. The reason for converting the disk to GPT is because UEFI works with GPT, this way you can install Win 8 on UEFI with the licensed embedded into your system.