[solved] MSi GT780DX: Upgraded to GTX675m, HDMI doesn't function anymore

Soeh

So I replaced the GTX570m in my MSi GT780DX to a Dell GTX675m and everything works perfectly EXCEPT for the HDMI port. VGA works fine. But the thing is, there's never any sort of error message or notification, no "Device not recognized", etc. Anything plugged into the port just won't show up. No "You plugged something in! : D" Sound effects, so it's more like it's just pretending it's not there. Before I give my hypothesis, here's what I've done:

First off, I have Windows 7. In preperation for the GTX675m, I removed the graphic drivers (using "add/remove programs" and "Driver Sweeper", carefully following an instruction set, so nothing gets unnecessarily removed) for the GTX570m, opened the laptop, cleaned and repasted where necessary, installed the card, booted the laptop, installed the appropriate drivers, rebooted. Tried out some games on it and as expected, it throttles constantly, but it functions! Anyway, I hesitantly proceeded to follow Xonar's instructions to utilize his modded bios (retrieved the appropriate version, made a bootable flash-drive, etc). Works perfectly. Installed and activated ThrottleStop to stop throttling (hurr). That works too! :3 By then I noticed an issue with my HDMI port. I can't recall all of the methods I attempted to get it to at least realize that it exists... Reinstalled graphic drivers, went through Nvidia control panel and tried everything necessary there, tried Fn+F2 (for this particular model, that's the "connect to a projector or external display" function). Tried different monitors, I KNOW the cable works, I still use it for other things, I searched for it in Device Manager, tried refreshing for hardware changes, changed some seemingly relevant options in the now extensive bios. One of which was enabling on-board graphics, which I knew would most likely result in a blank screen. It did, so I looked up a picture of the bios to find which function key restored defaults. Blind-booted into bios and restored defaults, works fine. ... I'm sure I tried more, but I can't remember.

I suspect it has to do with the new Bios options and I just don't know for sure what it is. I'd rather not kill my computer or spend hours looking up what all the abbreviations stand for just to find it's not the solution. No, I haven't flashed the Vbios, GPU-Z will even tell me that the sub-vendor is Dell. I very much doubt that's necessary, anyway. I really don't want to get into anything else risky unless somebody reputable and very knowledgeable on the subject tells me that it's definitely the solution.

Thanks in advance for any help! I REALLY hope to get this fixed. VGA streams 1920-1080, but doesn't look as good. And 3 displays are better than 2. XD

Okay. Well, I tried to use GPU-Z to save a copy, but it gives me an error message: "BIOS reading not supported on this device.". The version is stated to be 70.24.4E.00.10 (P1314-0005) if that helps. Is there a better way to get a copy of the Vbios?

• 5 weeks later...

Right. I assume it has to do with the fact that it's a Dell GPU. At this point I guess I'll have to flash it to an MSI Vbios on my own. I have no experience with it, but I have plenty of common sense. : P Still very much open to some experienced advice, though. Thanks for all the replies so far. :3

Good idea; I definitely should. Since GPUZ won't do it for me, do you know another good way to do it? General Googling for that information ends up leading me in circles. Or to GPUZ. : P

• 4 months later...

Alright, I know this is an old thread now, but I just recently stopped being lazy and decided to flash my VBIOS using NVFLASH from a bootable flash drive and I can use HDMI again! I used SVl7's .92v modded BIOS for it too, so thanks a lot SVl7! : D And thanks to everyone else for their help, too.

Oh, and by the way, the 675m is Fermi, not Kepler, so I wasn't able to use any of the posted ROMs in the guide referenced by Omega. Just so anyone else in the same boat knows not to use any of those. But it was still a helpful guide!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
So I replaced the GTX570m in my MSi GT780DX to a Dell GTX675m and everything works perfectly EXCEPT for the HDMI port. VGA works fine. But the thing is, there's never any sort of error message or notification, no "Device not recognized", etc. Anything plugged into the port just won't show up. No "You plugged something in! : D" Sound effects, so it's more like it's just pretending it's not there. Before I give my hypothesis, here's what I've done:

First off, I have Windows 7. In preperation for the GTX675m, I removed the graphic drivers (using "add/remove programs" and "Driver Sweeper", carefully following an instruction set, so nothing gets unnecessarily removed) for the GTX570m, opened the laptop, cleaned and repasted where necessary, installed the card, booted the laptop, installed the appropriate drivers, rebooted. Tried out some games on it and as expected, it throttles constantly, but it functions! Anyway, I hesitantly proceeded to follow Xonar's instructions to utilize his modded bios (retrieved the appropriate version, made a bootable flash-drive, etc). Works perfectly. Installed and activated ThrottleStop to stop throttling (hurr). That works too! :3 By then I noticed an issue with my HDMI port. I can't recall all of the methods I attempted to get it to at least realize that it exists... Reinstalled graphic drivers, went through Nvidia control panel and tried everything necessary there, tried Fn+F2 (for this particular model, that's the "connect to a projector or external display" function). Tried different monitors, I KNOW the cable works, I still use it for other things, I searched for it in Device Manager, tried refreshing for hardware changes, changed some seemingly relevant options in the now extensive bios. One of which was enabling on-board graphics, which I knew would most likely result in a blank screen. It did, so I looked up a picture of the bios to find which function key restored defaults. Blind-booted into bios and restored defaults, works fine. ... I'm sure I tried more, but I can't remember.

I suspect it has to do with the new Bios options and I just don't know for sure what it is. I'd rather not kill my computer or spend hours looking up what all the abbreviations stand for just to find it's not the solution. No, I haven't flashed the Vbios, GPU-Z will even tell me that the sub-vendor is Dell. I very much doubt that's necessary, anyway. I really don't want to get into anything else risky unless somebody reputable and very knowledgeable on the subject tells me that it's definitely the solution.

Thanks in advance for any help! I REALLY hope to get this fixed. VGA streams 1920-1080, but doesn't look as good. And 3 displays are better than 2. XD

Hi! Quick question regarding the installation! In preparation for the 675m, does that same procedure apply to a Dell 7970m? :)

• 1 month later...

It's almost scary how coincidental it is that you asked because I literally just procured what is presumably a 7970m myself. For free I might add! : D Best job ever. Anyway, not exactly. An alternate heat sink is unquestionably required unless you want to take a chance on grinding your own to fit (don't). The HD 5870 heat sink will fit, according to a number of posts but feel free to double-check it on Youtube. Other than that, the procedure should be the same. A Dell card should be usable even without the right VBIOS in order to flash it and actually see what you're doing. But one thing is for sure, the one I put in mine definitely booted to Windows, but there was no picture, as it was from an iMac.

Unfortunately the one I just got is from an iMac which leaves me a badly paired couple of problems: I can't see anything but it still boots, and I'm not sure which card it is. The part number turns up results about both a 7950 and a 7970. I can't blind-flash it because it could be the wrong ROM. If my method of finding out blindly by opening Afterburner through the Start Menu search, using Print Screen and opening MS Paint through Start, hitting Crtl+V, then Ctrl+S and then Enter doesn't work, then I'll make another topic about it. : /

Anyway, good luck! Lemme know if I can be of any more help. If I can't I'm sure one of the many intelligent people on this forum will.