Y580, Bluetooth not available in Windows 8?

untitled_753

Hello, I'm wondering if this is a universal issue with Lenovo notebooks. I've had a Y580 for about three months now and it's a pretty good gaming laptop, except for one irritating issue. Bluetooth will not show up in Windows 8. It's the only hardware missing from the system after an upgrade from Windows 7. Since the system will not detect Bluetooth, I could not install the driver. Trying Fn+F5 also does not work. My system has the latest BIOS available from Lenovo, the 5DCN40WW. Any suggestions, please?

Hello, I'm wondering if this is a universal issue with Lenovo notebooks. I've had a Y580 for about three months now and it's a pretty good gaming laptop, except for one irritating issue. Bluetooth will not show up in Windows 8. It's the only hardware missing from the system after an upgrade from Windows 7. Since the system will not detect Bluetooth, I could not install the driver. Trying Fn+F5 also does not work. My system has the latest BIOS available from Lenovo, the 5DCN40WW. Any suggestions, please?

I think they have a word for that called drivers.

Check the driver page of the Y580.

If using an intel adapter I suggest you look at the intel website.

Another suggestion is, when your drivers are installed, if the setting exist, disable BLUETOOTH AMP. It's a real pain and can cause the bluetooth icon to crash and the adapter to be disabled.

Hope I helped you.

I think they have a word for that called drivers.

Check the driver page of the Y580.

If using an intel adapter I suggest you look at the intel website.

Another suggestion is, when your drivers are installed, if the setting exist, disable BLUETOOTH AMP. It's a real pain and can cause the bluetooth icon to crash and the adapter to be disabled.

Hope I helped you.

I already downloaded the driver from Lenovo. But the driver won't install since the system does not detect it. There is no yellow exclamation mark or any unknown devices in device manager.

P.S. - According to the part list, it's a Broadcom bluetooth stack.

Open up device manager and in the top menubar, select SHOW DISABLED DEVICES.

report back if you see the bluetooth adapter now

It's also possible that it's shown as Microsoft Generic BT Adapter or something similar.

"Show Disabled Devices" selected, Bluetooth devices still not found. I've decided to do a full format and reinstalled Windows 8, Bluetooth still won't show up.

However, after experimenting with other OS (Ubuntu 13.04 Live CD), Bluetooth stack was detected and appears to be operational.

I'm starting to suspect that it might be Windows 8 itself might be the culprit, or maybe my system needs a new BIOS?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...