How to change m18x R2 LCD?

Hi everyone -- this is my first post here. My gf recently bought a used m18x R2, but when it arrived, the laptop's LCD had visible problems. The seller is willing to refund, but I figured I could replace the screen for about $150, or so, myself (and she did get a really good deal on the laptop). That said, after looking over the machine, I'm having trouble inferring exactly how to change the LCD. There are no screws, and I don't want to start prying like mad at everything that looks loose (lest I have to trade her my m18x R2). So, if anyone has the walk-through, or can point me in a direction where I can get it, I'd be infinitely appreciative.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't mean to hijack this, but the last post was more than a month ago, so here goes: I have an M18x and recently cracked the plexy glass in front of the LCD. The screen still functions fine. All pixels are live and fine, but I have this annoying crack I'd like to deal with. Is there a way I can just replace the glass, or would it be better for me to try and replace the screen, or just buy a whole new top to the laptop? Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
bump, i want to know how to get inside, please do tell or a short guide/tutorial.. thanks

i think a few posts above there is the link to the complete teardown video?

as well if you google "m18x-r2 service manual" one of the first links appearing is the manual for the m18x-r2 containing information on how to remove / take apart / replace everything on and in the machine.. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-m18x-r2_owner%27s%20manual_EN-US.pdf

i think a few posts above there is the link to the complete teardown video?

as well if you google "m18x-r2 service manual" one of the first links appearing is the manual for the m18x-r2 containing information on how to remove / take apart / replace everything on and in the machine.. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-m18x-r2_owner%27s%20manual_EN-US.pdf

service manual doesnt have tear down for the display as they sold entire display as one piece. regardless thanks for the help, i have found ways to disassemble it!

service manual doesnt have tear down for the display as they sold entire display as one piece. regardless thanks for the help, i have found ways to disassemble it!

ah you meant a teardown for the pannel itself? sorry, i didn't realize... alright cool then, thumbs up!

• Thumbs Up 1