y500 and usb external hdd acting crazy

jester_socom

Ok when I first received my laptop i had a ST500LT012 HDD inside. Which would freeze with Rapid storage technology installedNow I replaced the hdd with a hitachi one...I use the stock hdd as a external hdd in a case. I tried two casings. But both seem to disconnect randomly with no patern. What's weird is when it disconnects or reconnects or stays disconnected the external hdd casing LED is always lit. Which indicates power is still being supplied to the external hdd.Is this a clear indication the HDD is faulty? or is now my USB port not giving enough power...What's scaring me as well is at the same time in Windows Event Viewer I notice 1 ERROR EVENT about BTHUSB. Which is probably my Advanced 6235-N's Bluethooth being disconnected of a error.I don't know if this is related. The problem was also present with my Atheros card, which was my stock card.So what should I do?I really don't see what is causing this.

Try the HDD on other computers if possible. If the problem persisted, it's very likely that the HDD is faulty.

However, judging by the problems of the peripherals in your system, you might wanna get it checked by the technician. There might be some problem with the mainboard power delivery to the USB ports.

As pointed out by untitled_753. Get to another computer to check it. Instead of using an enclosure for the HDD just plug it directly in using the correct ports. (Should be SATA Power and SATA II or SATA III). If it still doesn't appear you might want to check using a formatting program like Disk Management in Windows.

As pointed out by untitled_753. Get to another computer to check it. Instead of using an enclosure for the HDD just plug it directly in using the correct ports. (Should be SATA Power and SATA II or SATA III). If it still doesn't appear you might want to check using a formatting program like Disk Management in Windows.

Apparently it had to do with my Intel Advanced-N 6235. If Bluetooth AMP is enabled, the feature that allows the bluetooth to switch between bluetooth and wifi to send. This is some kind of power saving feature.

Windows Event Viewer showed BTHUSB at the same time. But since my BT adapter of my WLAN card disconnected at the same time it is my BT adapter. Also this error seems to affect all USB3 ports

It might not do much - but try using the non USB-3 port on the right side of the computer. I've had numerous problems with USB devices until I realized that whatever usb3 chipset they're using on the Y500 was causing driver problems and such.