A laptop for someone who hates laptops?

Stradius

Question

I am looking to get a laptop in the future (and just as a point of reference, I am in Canada, which will bear meaning later in regards to part of my hatred for laptops). The problem is, I generally "hate" (maybe too strong of a word) laptops. I find them awkward to work with and this issue mostly stems from the way you control the laptop. Meaning, I don't like the keyboard layouts on most laptops that I have seen as they are too condensed. Worse off, any laptop purchased within Canada is almost guaranteed to have french character and functions on it. Like I need more campbell soup. And while tolerable, I also dislike the idea of a trackpad/nipple.

The only reason I am thinking of getting one now is because of travel. I'd like to have a working computer on the go but without the usual restraints (in my point of view). I'd like a keyboard that most resembles a standard keyboard. I understand the number pad area will likely need to be compromised on but I can live with that. I don't mind if the laptop is bigger.

So bring it down to the basics, I am looking for a laptop:

- As close as possible to a standard keyboard layout

- Size is not necessarily an issue

- Is strong enough to do general HD multimedia; gaming isn't a priority but I may consider a gaming laptop if it meets the other requirements (it's nice to have the option to kick back and have some fun )

- hdmi out

- semi-gloss or matte

4 answers to this question

Currently, most notebooks seem to do a good job with making a keyboard close to a real sized keyboard with the addition of the number pad. I scoffed at the idea of having the extra set of keys there, but as I've used the keyboard more and more on my newest notebook I have found that it does a good job of mimicking a regular keyboard's size. Now, this isn't to say that all keyboards are created equally. My current notebook is a Ideapad y500 and it seems to fit the bill for what you'd like. It's slightly larger than the one I use to use (Old Thinkpad T61p) but the keyboard is partially to blame for it.

I also find that Lenovo's "ultrabay" to be a good design to somewhat increase the longevity of the notebook since you can insert bays that add extra hard drives and as in this case of this model a second GPU. Having that ultrabay on my other notebook allowed me to extend it's life a few more years. Although I could have just bought a new hard drive to replace it with, by the time I was needing a second one I found the ultrabays to be cheaper to buy and could utilize a smaller, but usable HDD I already had.

Lastly, I like Lenovo for the ease of opening up the computer and it's repair if needed. Like with the older Thinkpad this Ideapad has an easy to open case that makes getting to the internal components easier to do. Also, it might make swapping out the Canadian keyboard with an "American" one easier if you choose to go that route. And, lastly it does not have that "nub" like most Thinkpads do. Other than that, it covers all of your other needs: It has HDMI out and sadly is gloss, but I do recall that they offer a matte version.

I don't know what kind of "on-the-go" use you will be doing with the notebook, but like most 15"+ machines it's not super easy to use in small places. On airplanes I still take my netbook along to do work, if needed, and save my larger notebook for the hotel (or first class, if I'm lucky).

Good luck with your hunt, and hopefully finding a notebook that you don't detest.

One of the newer Sagers with 765m might be a good bet. Decent keyboard, great screen, gaming capacity, and cheap.

Another decent option is the Samsung 7 Chronos w/ 8870m. Great keyboard, decent screen, better gaming, really light and thin. Fantastic machine.

I would second the Sager/Clevo models, mainly because they are highly customizable when you purchase from one of the reputable online PC builders (e.g. Mythlogic, XoticPC, etc.) The newer versions come with the i7 Haswell chips, and they have some 15.6" models with 1080p screens and either a GTX 765M or 770M, which are actually quite powerful. I just got a Clevo P150SM and it's really good. I've had good experiences with Dell/HP (...opinions really run the gamut with regards to pre-built laptops), but by I've been much happier by far with the Sager/Clevo models.