[HARDWARE MOD] 330w psu on Clevo

EMC

so i open the cables again and solder them now first.then i covered them one by one with electrical tape after that i cover its one with wire shrink wrap and again all the way with electrical tape.maybe its safer now or not?

The green wire is for communication between the laptop and PSU. Clevos don't communicate with the PSU at all so it's fine to leave it disconnected, however, if you get a 330W m18x PSU then you need to connect the ID line to ground to get the full 330W.

It is very difficult to get a hold of the motherboard connector for the larger connector so I just cut off and solder on the smaller connector on the PSU as well.

Could you provide more detailed instructions or give a link for this modification?

Particulary this: "need to connect the ID line to ground to get the full 330W". Were is the ground in clevo connector?

Thank you in advance!

So it's pretty easy to trick this ID chip and power restriction in 330W m18x PSU when modified for clevo?

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, may anyone tell me that Dell 330W with 19.5V can be use with my Clevo machine? I notice that jack's diameter of Dell is bigger than mine one and My Clevo original adaptor come with 19V inly. Is it alright to use? Thanks in advance.. I plan to buy adaptor for the head itself ti solve difference head issue.

Hi, may anyone tell me that Dell 330W with 19.5V can be use with my Clevo machine? I notice that jack's diameter of Dell is bigger than mine one and My Clevo original adaptor come with 19V inly. Is it alright to use? Thanks in advance.. I plan to buy adaptor for the head itself ti solve difference head issue.

In addition to the adapter you need to connect the ID (green) wire to the ground (black) wire. If you don't do this then the PSU will only go up to 240W.

Thanks a lot for advise, any guide for connecting ID cable to black cable?

Open up the PSU and solder a wire where the two wires connect to the PSU. This way there is nothing that shows externally.

Also to be 100% clear I am talking about the black wire that goes to the laptop. The black wire that goes to the wall is the livewire and has 115V AC on it, so don't touch it.

• 1 year later...

I have a Clevo P150SM... I purchased the Delta 330w PSU as my 180w kept tripping when my GPU (980m) and CPU were both under full load. I modded the end succesfully, but unfortunately although it lasts longer than the stock 180w one, the new PSU still shuts down after a prolonged period of running.

It's possible that the ID line *does* need to be connected to ground in this PSU after all. I'm going to try this to see if it makes a difference and report back.

This site is also excellent for working out some basic power-supply requirements. Power Supply Calculator - The most accurate PC wattage calculator

Choosing mini-itx motherboard and i7 3920xm, I've set cpu to 3.6ghz and chose GTX650ti (110watts) as closest card to my gtx680m (also gtx980m).

Configured with desktop replacement settings (4usb, 1 firewire, network+wlan cards, 2x ssd drives, 4xddr3 memory, 2xfans) the results are eye opening.

64w idle, 283w load with a recommended power supply of 397watts for 24hr usage. lol.

Perhaps why I'm having to downclock to 31x across the board on cpu to stay stable. This isn't taking into account running the laptop screen which maybe pushing system over the edge. System is definitely more stable using external monitor.

• 2 months later...

So any recommendations for a P150SMA owner? I see the 300 watt clevo with 4-pin, and my laptop has the 2.5mmx5.5mm -- I'd really prefer an adapter than any hardware mods. Anyone know anything that works without soldering the PSU?

Thanks,

• 2 years later...

hi to all!

I have new Dell PSU 330W DA330PM1111 Y90RR + adapter with 7.4x5.0mm to 5.5x2.5mm

I bought it for a laptop CLEVO P150EM (SAGER NP9150)

I understand that because of the built-in chip Dell and ID line, my PSU will work at 240 watts maximum (without modifications)?

Please, tell me how to modify it so that it works for 330W?

I will be very grateful to you!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...