[HARDWARE MOD] 330w psu on Clevo

EMC

I did for a 150em. Problem is the system still tells the psu to shutdown at 220W or so. That may be corrected later today by modding the current sensing circuit on the motherboard.

My 330W psu was listed as used, but it looked new when I got it. psu cables still had all the factory creases in them. Hopefully someone didn't swap in a 240W chip to get it to run in an m17x. I highly doubt that though.

It seems to me that the problem may be weak connector or too thin cable in P150. I use X7200 300W/20V PSU and 4-pin mobo connector and it works well.

It seems to me that the problem may be weak connector or too thin cable in P150. I use X7200 300W/20V PSU and 4-pin mobo connector and it works well.

Hmm I guess I'm just special. I'll pop open my psu and see if it was modded for an m17x.

• 3 weeks later...

hm, good to know that there are restrictions to modding a 300W+ psu for the P150HM. but then again, would it be really necessary to use one of those when (in theory, at least) the 780M could be made compatible with the HM/EM series? i reckon the dell 240w psu can still provide sufficient power for "regular" gpu+xm cpu overclocks....at least thats what im hoping :P

hm, good to know that there are restrictions to modding a 300W+ psu for the P150HM. but then again, would it be really necessary to use one of those when (in theory, at least) the 780M could be made compatible with the HM/EM series? i reckon the dell 240w psu can still provide sufficient power for "regular" gpu+xm cpu overclocks....at least thats what im hoping :P

I did for a 150em. Problem is the system still tells the psu to shutdown at 220W or so. That may be corrected later today by modding the current sensing circuit on the motherboard.

My 330W psu was listed as used, but it looked new when I got it. psu cables still had all the factory creases in them. Hopefully someone didn't swap in a 240W chip to get it to run in an m17x. I highly doubt that though.

Thanks for posting your experience here. There are two confirmed reports of the same behaviour of the 330W mod with M17x R2 users. Your post confirms that there is something not quite right about it.

Can you perhaps provide a model number for your PSU please? I think it will be of some help to M17x R2 users.

Hmm I guess I'm just special. I'll pop open my psu and see if it was modded for an m17x.

You shouldn't have to open it up. If the PSU was in fact modded there should be tell tale signs around the PSU housing. Its plastic welded afaik so anyone who opened it up to mod it would probably have to get a new housing and have professional tools to put it back together without leaving evidence... which is highly unlikely.

All info about the Dell PSU ID chip is HERE

Clevo PSU versions don't contain that chip. These are the model names of the higher wattage Clevo PSU models:

Chicony CPA09-022A: DC Output: 20V, 15A (300W)

Delta ADP-330AB-D: DC Output: 19.5V, 16.9A (330W)

Thanks for the models @Prema. Its much appreciated :)

That 330W version looks strikingly simular to the Alienware/Dell model. Just googled it now and I think we can be fairly certain it is, as the model number is used interchangeably with Alienwares XM3C3. Only the last letter is changed which I assume is to differentiate the Clevo/Dell connector ends.

Thanks for the models @Prema. Its much appreciated :)

That 330W version looks strikingly simular to the Alienware/Dell model. Just googled it now and I think we can be fairly certain it is, as the model number is used interchangeably with Alienwares XM3C3. Only the last letter is changed which I assume is to differentiate the Clevo/Dell connector ends.

They use the same connector. The clevos that use that adapter just leave the ID line floating, so I'm guessing that the clevo version lacks ID check hardware.

Found this one: Dell ADP-330AB B 330W AC Adapter Charger 19.5V 16.9A. Not expencive. Hope it's possible to use with CLEVO after modification.

Any suggestion: is it possible and safe to use 300W PSU with CLEVO m980NU? (old 220W PSU is not enough for 2 VGA and moderate OCing)

THX.

Hi, I also recently made a modded 240W PSU for the Clevo P150SM (Haswell successor to theP150EM), both of which use the same 2.5mm x 5.5 mm barrel connector. I had also posted a guide for making one in the NBR forums: HTWingNut's Sager NP8250 / Clevo P157SM Review - Page 5 The stock 180W Clevo power supply does not provide enough power for overclocking the GTX 780M (e.g. MSI Afterburner overclock at 980MHz / 6000 MHz). You can easily see stuttering in games and benchmarks. However, with the modded 240W power supply, everything works fine. After reading this thread, I saw that there might be some limits with the modded power supply? I see readings of up to ~210W when I use my modded PSU with the overclocked 780M, but I think that's because of how much power it's really drawing, and if I overclocked more (which I can't since I don't have a custom vbios yet), I'm assuming it will draw more power. If a PSU says 240W, does that mean it's the actual limit, or can it give slightly more? I know that high quality desktop PSU's (e.g. Corsair, Seasonic, etc.) are "rated" for a particular wattage, but can give more if stressed. Not that you should do that, anyway, but can mobile PSU's do the same?

• Thumbs Up 1

always consider that ure just able to measure the power draw at the socket. since most laptop psu's are rated at 85-90% efficiency, ull have to subtract 10-15% from the measured load to get the actual power draw of ur system :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hi, I also recently made a modded 240W PSU for the Clevo P150SM (Haswell successor to theP150EM), both of which use the same 2.5mm x 5.5 mm barrel connector. I had also posted a guide for making one in the NBR forums: HTWingNut's Sager NP8250 / Clevo P157SM Review - Page 5 The stock 180W Clevo power supply does not provide enough power for overclocking the GTX 780M (e.g. MSI Afterburner overclock at 980MHz / 6000 MHz). You can easily see stuttering in games and benchmarks. However, with the modded 240W power supply, everything works fine. After reading this thread, I saw that there might be some limits with the modded power supply? I see readings of up to ~210W when I use my modded PSU with the overclocked 780M, but I think that's because of how much power it's really drawing, and if I overclocked more (which I can't since I don't have a custom vbios yet), I'm assuming it will draw more power. If a PSU says 240W, does that mean it's the actual limit, or can it give slightly more? I know that high quality desktop PSU's (e.g. Corsair, Seasonic, etc.) are "rated" for a particular wattage, but can give more if stressed. Not that you should do that, anyway, but can mobile PSU's do the same?

It's silly that clevo puts the smaller connector on the 15 inch version. The P170 motherboard is identical to the P150 motherboard except for the power connector. Just using the larger connector on the P150 would let them eliminate a production line and save on costs.

My understanding of laptop PSUs is they can either equal or exceed their wattage rating, depending on luck of the draw. Some cheap knockoffs will be under their rating. 240W is OK as long as you don't heavily overclock both GPU and CPU. Moderate overclocks should be fine, or heavy on one and light on the other should be fine. My CPU pulls up to 100W, which is way more than a stock CPU.

Alienhack and Nospheratu (above) have managed to power overclocked 920XM cpu's with 7970m CrossfireX'd cards on m17x-R2 machines with stock 240W PSU's - over at NBR :) Don't diss that sweetie-pie, it does its job well.

That being said, has anyone managed to get the 330W Delta PSU to actually pull that much from the wall at least on any machine other than the m18x?

I can't find a big clevo PSU (>=300w) for less than $150 in ebay. There's a place to find cheaper ones?

Have anyone tested on of these ?

Delta 19.5V 16.7A

chinony 20V 15A

Does chinony 20V output safe for a nominal 19V power circuit?

• 2 weeks later...
I can't find a big clevo PSU (>=300w) for less than $150 in ebay. There's a place to find cheaper ones?

Have anyone tested on of these ?

Delta 19.5V 16.7A

chinony 20V 15A

Does chinony 20V output safe for a nominal 19V power circuit?

You could try asking a Sager/Clevo reseller/system builder.

They generally have them for 100 bucks or so.

guys today i received the 240watt dell psu.to mod it i just cut the jack from 180watt psu and then one from 240watt then i joined the 2 cables each one with electrical tape and for last thing i used electrical tape again again over them.also dell psu had a 3rd smaller wire that i just cut it and cover it with tape again connected nowhere.is that good or i have a problem?

the laptop works fine both overclocked gpu and cpu for some tests but i think i did it the bad way...what can i do now?order new 180watt psu and try again?

guys today i received the 240watt dell psu.to mod it i just cut the jack from 180watt psu and then one from 240watt then i joined the 2 cables each one with electrical tape and for last thing i used electrical tape again again over them.also dell psu had a 3rd smaller wire that i just cut it and cover it with tape again connected nowhere.is that good or i have a problem?

the laptop works fine both overclocked gpu and cpu for some tests but i think i did it the bad way...what can i do now?order new 180watt psu and try again?

The green wire is for communication between the laptop and PSU. Clevos don't communicate with the PSU at all so it's fine to leave it disconnected, however, if you get a 330W m18x PSU then you need to connect the ID line to ground to get the full 330W.

It is very difficult to get a hold of the motherboard connector for the larger connector so I just cut off and solder on the smaller connector on the PSU as well.

• Thumbs Up 1