M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

Question.

I'm swapping out a potentially faulty MB on my R3 to correct a screen issue that I've narrowed down. I upgraded to the 780m as well so I have the A12 BIOS flashed to the current board, but the replacement board will have an older BIOS set flashed by default.

Can I still boot into windows with IGP enabled and the card installed in order to flash to the A12, or should I create a bootable USB with the A12 on it in order to update the replacement board?

Thanks ahead of time.

Considering you have to remove the card anyway to replace the motherboard, then you may as well boot it up without the 780M and flash the modified A12 BIOS having just booted up using the IGP. Then you can put in the 780M, and go from there. But, I don't think it would hurt trying it with the 780M installed - if it doesn't boot up you'd just remove the card. You have nothing to lose either way, that's how I see it.

Hey guys.. I'm upgrading my M17X R4 from a 660M to a 780M.. the GPU should already be flashed with a BIOS "from techinferno" (what the seller told me).. anyone can tell me if there is anything I should do software wise on the laptop before and after the hardware installation? thanks!!

Hi guys

I got a GTX 780m today and installed it in my m17x R3.

followed the steps and it's working, but with one issue:

i don't have sound anymore. (deactivated HD audio in bios)

when i activate it, i get a blank screen when booting in normal mode..

Hi guys

I got a GTX 780m today and installed it in my m17x R3.

followed the steps and it's working, but with one issue:

i don't have sound anymore. (deactivated HD audio in bios)

when i activate it, i get a blank screen when booting in normal mode..

Uninstall drivers using DDU/third uninstall option (safe mode) -> Install IDT drivers first, next install nvidia drivers.

R3/780M 120Hz & R4s/LGD02C5 (R3 monitor) users. This driver v344.48 is simply not compatible with our screens. DSR doesn't yet support mobile cards, still it messes up monitor profiles on some unsupported systems (120Hz). Even desktop 120Hz/144Hz and G-Sync monitors reported several issues. AW17 & M17xR4 3D Samsung SEC5044 screens are not affected by this bug.

Feedback appreciated...

Fixed with v344.65. 'Game Ready Driver' BS. Urgent fix, all messed up 120Hz/144Hz monitor profiles & blank screen.

GeForce 344.65 WHQL

nvdmi.inf_v344.65

Uninstall drivers using DDU/third uninstall option (safe mode) -> Install IDT drivers first, next install nvidia drivers.

Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers with the third option.

Uninstalled IDT drivers.

EDIT:

it doesn't matter which IDT driver i install (the windows driver update or the AW resource disk),

whenever installation finishes i can't boot into normal mode without getting a screen with a random color.

Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers with the third option.

Uninstalled IDT drivers.

EDIT:

it doesn't matter which IDT driver i install (the windows driver update or the AW resource disk),

whenever installation finishes i can't boot into normal mode without getting a screen with a random color.

@Amir

BIOS settings [Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

Uninstall IDT drivers (Programs and Features) -> reboot -> F8 Safe mode -> uninstall Nvidia drivers DDU/third option

BIOS enable IDT -> Install IDT drivers -> IDT control panel -> Advanced -> check enable power management-> Install nvidia drivers.

--> #1 #3 #25 http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/4829-780m-gtx-m17xr3-integrated-soundcard-working-again-no-more-usb-soundcard.html#post67790

@Amir

BIOS settings [Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

Uninstall IDT drivers (Programs and Features) -> reboot -> F8 Safe mode -> uninstall Nvidia drivers DDU/third option

BIOS enable IDT -> Install IDT drivers -> IDT control panel

It seems i don't have the control panel in safe mode?

Do i have to enable IDT and access control panel in normal mode (swapping GPU)?

It seems i don't have the control panel in safe mode?

Do i have to enable IDT and access control panel in normal mode (swapping GPU)?

Enable IDT/BIOS after uninstalling nv drivers and boot normally.

Game Ready

Best gaming experience for Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Crew, and World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor.

[Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

GeForce 344.75 WHQL

nvdmi.inf_v344.75

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/8290-%5Bmod%5D-latest-nvidia-drivers-cuda-nvcuvenc-encoder-support.html

• Thumbs Up 2

Enable IDT/BIOS after uninstalling nv drivers and boot normally.

i did this a couple of times.

the problem is, whenever i boot normally, i get a pink/orange/yellow random coloured screen.

this is the problem i think:

'BIOS enable IDT -> Install IDT drivers -> IDT control panel -> Advanced -> check enable power management'

i downloaded different idt drivers (different versions for m17xr3), but can't get the idt control panel to pop up.

therefore the question: anyone knows how to access the panel?

i did this a couple of times.

the problem is, whenever i boot normally, i get a pink/orange/yellow random coloured screen.

this is the problem i think:

'BIOS enable IDT -> Install IDT drivers -> IDT control panel -> Advanced -> check enable power management'

i downloaded different idt drivers (different versions for m17xr3), but can't get the idt control panel to pop up.

therefore the question: anyone knows how to access the panel?

After uninstalling IDT drivers/NV drivers, you should be able to boot normally. Windows Control Panel -> view by: 'small icons' -> IDT control Panel.

@JoostvanBoxmeer

Game Ready

• Best gaming experience for Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Crew, and World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor.

[Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

GeForce 344.75 WHQL

nvdmi.inf_v344.75

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/8290-%5Bmod%5D-latest-nvidia-drivers-cuda-nvcuvenc-encoder-support.html

j95 same dll files i will use in this driver version?

j95 same dll files i will use in this driver version?
[Mod] Latest Nvidia Drivers CUDA NVCUVENC Encoder Support

Since driver v340.43 CUDA NVCUVENC encoder has been deprecated, nevertheless most encoding software doesn't yet support NVENC API.

Like previous drivers, this mod includes both NVCUVENC and NVENC.

Yeah, DLLs v338.10. With this modded inf nvdmi.inf_v344.80_nvcuvenc_mod_all_aw_680m_780m_880m.zip