M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

Well - I found a way to make it KIND OF work; before going into sleep mode, disable the IDT card in your device manager.

After waking your notebook up, just re-enable it. I guess it has something to do with the order in which the drivers are loaded.

If the IDT turns on first, then the GPU somehow locks the computer (IRQ issue?); that is why turning IDT off in Bios BEFORE installing GPU drivers work.

Is it possible to somehow DELAY turning on specific hardware in windows? Or make a script to DISABLE hardware when shutting down/going 'sleep/hibernate'?

I'm just about to purchase a 765m for my M15x. Beginning to wonder if its worth it. I think i understand fully the process of getting it installed and working, but it seems some people are still having trouble after following these guides. Is 660m a better option? Are there any major differences in M15x and M17x with 765m?

• 3 weeks later...

J95 one question, i've just updte my video card with 340.52 , but i've notice that the video acceleration in converting videos is not anymore detected, because before i did the upgrade video acceleration is detected, did i do something wrong during the installation of the drivers?

@arakosab since v340.43 600/700/800 series are using NVENC API. Uninstall drivers w/ DDU -> Display.Driver folder copy/paste all files (3) -> run setup.exe

GeForce 340.52 WHQL

Edit: It has been done before (desktop), mine should work as well...from scratch/Notepad++...:P

-> #307 Latest nvcuvenc.dll + All Alienware models/cards included.

nvdmi.inf_v340.52_nvcuvenc.dll_.zip

• Thumbs Up 3

@arakosab since v340.43 600/700/800 series are using NVENC API. Uninstall drivers w/ DDU -> Display.Driver folder copy/paste all files (3) -> run setup.exe

Edit: It has been done before (desktop), mine should work as well...from scratch/Notepad++...:P

j95 thank you for the three modded files video acceleration now detected :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello there,

I have an Alienware m17x r3 with AMD Radeon HD 6870m card. I'd like to upgrade to an Nvidia card. Something along the lines of this one: Dell Alienware M17x M18x NVIDIA GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 Video Card MXM 3 0 9R3F5 | eBay

Will I need a new heatsink for that card to function properly, or will the current one work fine?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a weird problem.

I cannot install your modded drivers anymore.

De-intsalled my current drivers with DDU, grabbed the latest 64bit 340.52 HQ, copied/pasted/replaced the files from your latest nvdmi.inf_v340.52_nvcuvenc.dll_New.zip you posted into Display.Driver -> results in a NVIDIA INSTALLER FAILED [fail at graphic driver].

I disabled the HD AUDIO in Bios, redownloaded several times - nothing.

Help?

edit:

Nevermind, forgot to turn on testsigning.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with drivers J95!

@Jinx1337 CUDA NVCUVENC encoder support (NVENC included), most encoders are still using it. Different topic, nvidia could take a similar aggressive move regarding OEMs dated cooling systems (4 years) to avoid all the imposed limitations, mainly 880M. They simply don't care, Maxwell will keep them safe for the time being...probably not.

I have F8 option / Legacy Boot enabled under Win8.1, it won't add boot time (safe mode/driver signing/advanced recovery option...).

cmd (Admin).

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot.

Default.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
J95 how to mod the drivers for a certain driver update of nvidia cards? like for example the .dll files

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More difficult to explain that to actually do, I mod my own. Essentially, you have to find the correct inf file for your machine within the nvidia driver folders once you have unpacked/extracted the drivers from the downloaded file (you can do this by downloading the driver from NVidia, running the program as you normally would to install the drivers, and then pressing the cancel button once installation starts - the drivers will remain unpacked on your system at C:\NVidia). For example, Dell laptops have the the config files in an inf file called nvdmi.inf. I open up that file using notepad and replace all M17xR4 680M strings (%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0551.1028%......PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_05511028) with the hardware strings related to my M17xR3 with 670MX (%NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0490.1028%......PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_04901028). You can find your hardware strings in Device Manager. I choose a similar system and 'similar' GPU to mine to replace the strings because I figured it would reference the installation of the correct driver 'Sections'. There's also a section (at the end of the file) where you have to add the name of your GPU to your corresponding hardware string (NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0490.1028= "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX "). All in all lot easier to do than to explain!!

(Tip: have a look at the weird numbers and letters in the strings, there's a pattern and logic there that relates to the system & GPU model you own).

• Thumbs Up 1

More difficult to explain that to actually do, I mod my own. Essentially, you have to find the correct inf file for your machine within the nvidia driver folders once you have unpacked/extracted the drivers from the downloaded file (you can do this by downloading the driver from NVidia, running the program as you normally would to install the drivers, and then pressing the cancel button once installation starts - the drivers will remain unpacked on your system at C:\NVidia). For example, Dell laptops have the the config files in an inf file called nvdmi.inf. I open up that file using notepad and replace all M17xR4 680M strings (%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0551.1028%......PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_05511028) with the hardware strings related to my M17xR3 with 670MX (%NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0490.1028%......PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_04901028). You can find your hardware strings in Device Manager. I choose a similar system and 'similar' GPU to mine to replace the strings because I figured it would reference the installation of the correct driver 'Sections'. There's also a section (at the end of the file) where you have to add the name of your GPU to your corresponding hardware string (NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0490.1028= "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX "). All in all lot easier to do than to explain!!

(Tip: have a look at the weird numbers and letters in the strings, there's a pattern and logic there that relates to the system & GPU model you own).

ok thanks for the reply.i will try it myself :)

Hello, im also new to this tech forum.

i ran into this forum cause recently i bought a new graphicscard for my mx17r3 my old card diedon me and the machine shut down, after long search i found out that it was the graphics that caused the problem and not the PSU.

i bought aGTX 780 but it didnt want to work i followedall the steps i read here unlocked bios A012 changed the PEG and disabled the internat graphics switched. Off the internal soundcard.

the laptop startsup fine but when i want to install the drivers it says that there is no nvidia card installed.

i tried everything with the alterd inffile but that also doesnt work, also the computer doesnt reconiseze the card in system, what can i do to get the card working it is revision 08-2014

i posted earlier, my graphics still aint working i did everyting in the BIOS, and it shows in bios as detected nvidia gtx PEG enabled A012 bios latest drivers from nvidia with the inf file as well but installing driver says no graphics detected, i serious dont know what to do anymore

i posted earlier, my graphics still aint working i did everyting in the BIOS, and it shows in bios as detected nvidia gtx PEG enabled A012 bios latest drivers from nvidia with the inf file as well but installing driver says no graphics detected, i serious dont know what to do anymore

Does the graphics card show up in Device Manager before you try & install the graphics driver? Are there any warnings in Device Manager associated with it? (If you don't know how to find Device Manager, just type that into the search bar of the start button in Windows 7). I think it should say Standard VGA or something - this means that Windows has installed it's generic drivers to the card. I would wager that you're having a problem with the inf file that's preventing your install. Rather than modding your own, use Firefox (the other browsers won't work for this) to download/save the modified inf file from this popular site that I've used for getting modified inf's in the past, this is a direct link to the inf file you should try to use (it will look like a page of text, you want to 'Save As' in your browser in order to download it and have the inf file created: http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/340series/34052_win8x64/nv_dispwi.inf

Place that inf in the relevant folder and run the setup program & it should install. (Check out my Device Manager questions first though).

@arakosab edit only the "NTamd64 Section" that corresponds to your OS version and (5) "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1" or use notepad CTRL+H method -> AW17 Id 05AE replace with your own -> 0490 (copying NVCUVENC DLLs won't work) http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/5249-%5Bguide%5D-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files.html

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_119F&SUBSYS_04901028

10DE&DEV = Nvidia, 119F = GTX 780M, 0490 = M17xR3, 1028 = Dell

[Manufacturer]%NVIDIA_A% = NVIDIA_SetA_Devices,NTamd64.6.0,NTamd64.6.1,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.6.3 (Windows versions 64-bit)

NTamd64.6.0 Vista

NTamd64.6.1 Win7

NTamd64.6.2 Win8

NTamd64.6.3 Win8.1

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0] Vista

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F1.1028% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F11028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F2.1028% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F21028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.0228.1028% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_02281028

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] Win7

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.019C.1028% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_019C1028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F1.1028% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F11028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F2.1028% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F21028

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2] Win8

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.019C.1028% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_019C1028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F1.1028% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F11028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F2.1028% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F21028

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3] Win8.1

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.019C.1028% = Section003, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_019C1028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F1.1028% = Section003, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F11028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F2.1028% = Section003, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F21028

[strings]

DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"

NVIDIA_A = "NVIDIA"

NVIDIA_DEV.0407.019C.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT "

NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F1.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT"

NVIDIA_DEV.0407.01F2.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT "

Does the graphics card show up in Device Manager before you try & install the graphics driver? Are there any warnings in Device Manager associated with it? (If you don't know how to find Device Manager, just type that into the search bar of the start button in Windows 7). I think it should say Standard VGA or something - this means that Windows has installed it's generic drivers to the card. I would wager that you're having a problem with the inf file that's preventing your install. Rather than modding your own, use Firefox (the other browsers won't work for this) to download/save the modified inf file from this popular site that I've used for getting modified inf's in the past, this is a direct link to the inf file you should try to use (it will look like a page of text, you want to 'Save As' in your browser in order to download it and have the inf file created: http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/340series/34052_win8x64/nv_dispwi.inf

Place that inf in the relevant folder and run the setup program & it should install. (Check out my Device Manager questions first though).

Wrong INF. nv_dispwi.inf/Quadro, nv_dispi.inf/GeForce is the proper one.

Firefox is not required for this. Open xxxxx.txt with notepad -> File -> "Save As" -> xxxxx.inf

• Thumbs Up 1

@arakosab edit only the "NTamd64 Section" that corresponds to your OS version and (5) "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1" or use notepad CTRL+H method -> AW17 Id 05AE replace with your own -> 0490 (copying NVCUVENC DLLs won't work) http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/5249-%5Bguide%5D-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files.html

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_119F&SUBSYS_04901028

10DE&DEV = Nvidia, 119F = GTX 780M, 0490 = M17xR3, 1028 = Dell

Wrong INF. nv_dispwi.inf/Quadro, nv_dispi.inf/GeForce is the proper one.

Firefox is not required for this. Open xxxxx.txt with notepad -> File -> "Save As" -> xxxxx.inf

Thanks, looks like laptopvideo2go linked the wrong inf to that driver then, here's a link to an inf from the 340.43 driver, which should work with the latest NVidia driver:

http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/340series/34043_win8x64/nv_dispi.inf

Yes, you don't HAVE to use Firefox, but Firefox will save it using the correct extensions without you having to edit anything in the file name - so is more fool proof, and a quicker simpler process than yours listed (assuming the person has Firefox of course!).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12393[/ATTACH]

I meant installing firefox, chrome works fine...

Nope, didn't work that way for me when I tried it months ago, and didn't work that way for me just now, so can assume it wouldn't work for some other people too - hence the Firefox recommendation. But who cares, it's an irrelevantly small point really!

thanks robbo for the help i got it working after i recieved a link from eurocom with the right drivers and modded inf file

Cool, you'll always be able to install the latest NVidia drivers though, if you use a modded inf file for that driver, so you don't have to stick with the drivers from Eurocom.

So am i right that when there is an update from nvidia i cant install it unless there is a modded inf. File

if thats the point where can i find the modded files then cause i dont have a clue how that works on the laptop2go site or something like that. I just downloaded the drivers fro. Eurocom and that came with the pre installed inf file