M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

GeForce Hotfix driver 347.71

This is a GeForce Hot Fix driver, version 347.71 that addresses the following issue:

• 2 weeks later...

hello.. i have recently had to upgrade my alienware m17 r3 120hz 3d 580m to the 780m as the card finally died....

the problem i have is.... i load up windows goto nvida control panel and set the refresh rate to 120hz and then close... every time a reboot the computer it will default back to 60hz and i have to change it back to 120hz

i have not overclocked the card or done vbois if that makes any differnce i happy as is... the main computer bois i unlocked a12. did that along time ago as i wanted the ssd...... like the guide said i disabled sound ... bois was already set to peg but enable other peg setting and disabled igd (top line setting))

i tried to google this and had no luck..

some details that may be usefull

windows 7..

drivers 347.52 with a modded inf.. i will how ever now download the ones of here as im a member and i could not use this web site inf before.....

what i have tried is going into the regedit and searching for all DefaultSettings.VRefresh and changing it to 78 hex witch is 120hz then report the pc and it still comes back up as 60hz on the nvdia control panel...

if there something in the modded inf file that resets it to 60hz

res is 1920x1080.. that part does stay the same...... after i change it to 120hz i get no problems other than it resets to 60 after a reboot

i did try the right click on desktop change resolution - advance - monitor 60hz to 120.. apply and reboot and it goes back to 60 as well

i also noticed after a reboot out of all the registry keys changing them to 120hz this key does change back to 60hz

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet002Hardware ProfilesUnitedVideoCONTROLVIDEO{5DE5FA84-39E2-49D1-AB58-3CF8C769148D}

Hello dear forum,

I recently bought 780m from here FS: Nvidia GTX 780m | NotebookReview to replace it with my 6990m.

What exactly do I have to do? The computer keeps beeing even if i set it to PEG and disable Internal graphic device and disable sound? clear.png

I am willing to pay a small fee over paypal for anyone that can help me get this fixed!

Please add me on skype: patrik.kogoj and help me out, otherwise I don't know what to do clear.png

I got A12 unlocked but this happened

-first when i still had 6990m in comp I disabled sound card + switchable graphivs in bios (under 2nd advanced tab) so I didnt even have PEG option left

-then i installed 780m and it booted into Windows but I couldnt install nVidia drivers as it said that there is no graphic card nor did bios recognize it

-then i returned bios to defaults and restarted.... and it started BEEPing madly

-Then i switched GPU to 6990, disabled sound card and disabled internal graphic device and switched to PEG and its still beeping...

- now im trying putting 6990m back in and disabling whole 2nd advanced tab under switchable graphic card option so I wont have the PEG option left

Hey Everyone,

First time poster, good stuff on here so far. I haven't sat and read threw all 41 pages but Ive read about half and I haven't been able to remedy my situation yet. I installed a 780M in my 2011 M17xR3 today and everything went fine with the install.. and the company I bought the card from ensured me of a quick easy install and turn around. Unfortunately it doesn't ever happen that way and I can't seem to get things straight. I'll start from the beginning, installed the Modded A12 bios update no problems, disabled the Internal audio and video cards, switched to PEG and all that. Restarted the pc and removed the integrated video drivers, all audio drivers, and all nvidia drivers. Re-started the PC to shutdown properly and realized drivers started installing themselves again, so i quickly disabled the wireless, then disabled the auto detect and install of drivers from windows. removed everything again that reinstalled. restarted and shut down. Installed the card. Started back up, went to install the video driver on there website, the 347.09 driver I believe. Did the custom install option, did a clean install and 20 seconds into the install I get a windows security popup for cannot verify publisher, so i continue with install anyway.. and installation fails no matter which way I try it , normal mode, safe mode, disabled driver signing mode with the F8 boot screen.. This is where I'm at.... I have downloaded the video driver 347.52 that J95 has posted on his install guide on Page 23, but that install is also alittle different then what I did,, so i dont know if i'm missing a few things or what. Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hey Everyone,

First time poster, good stuff on here so far. I haven't sat and read threw all 41 pages but Ive read about half and I haven't been able to remedy my situation yet. I installed a 780M in my 2011 M17xR3 today and everything went fine with the install.. and the company I bought the card from ensured me of a quick easy install and turn around. Unfortunately it doesn't ever happen that way and I can't seem to get things straight. I'll start from the beginning, installed the Modded A12 bios update no problems, disabled the Internal audio and video cards, switched to PEG and all that. Restarted the pc and removed the integrated video drivers, all audio drivers, and all nvidia drivers. Re-started the PC to shutdown properly and realized drivers started installing themselves again, so i quickly disabled the wireless, then disabled the auto detect and install of drivers from windows. removed everything again that reinstalled. restarted and shut down. Installed the card. Started back up, went to install the video driver on there website, the 347.09 driver I believe. Did the custom install option, did a clean install and 20 seconds into the install I get a windows security popup for cannot verify publisher, so i continue with install anyway.. and installation fails no matter which way I try it , normal mode, safe mode, disabled driver signing mode with the F8 boot screen.. This is where I'm at.... I have downloaded the video driver 347.52 that J95 has posted on his install guide on Page 23, but that install is also alittle different then what I did,, so i dont know if i'm missing a few things or what. Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi, so it sounds that you're just struggling to get the NVidia driver installed. I don't think you needed to uninstall sound drivers as part of your process, it just had to be disabled temporarily during your install process, as described by j95 on the page 23 that you quoted (post #222), but that's probably not causing your problems. Try using a program called DDU to remove all traces of NVidia drivers (you didn't need to uninstall the Intel Graphics Drivers either I don't think), then try reinstalling j95's driver or a driver using a modified inf from laptopvideo2go (LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers), or mod the inf file yourself to do the NVidia driver install (http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/5249-%5Bguide%5D-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files.html).

Hey Robbo,

Thanks for the response, Luckily Ive been on nightwork this week so Ive had some time to dig into this issue, I've read this entire post from page 1 to 41, which I just saw you responded to my post, since then Ive become a T/I member and donated because good info deserves it.. anyway,,, I followed the direction that eurocom gave me over days prior to the install because like everyone else I had questions before I actually went ahead with dropping the cash on the card. I've used DDU and have unistalled everything, modded the bios, hit the settings in bios, inserted myself in test mode, and have used several different drivers with modded inf files with no success, it's madness to keep repeating the same thing over again so after 12+ different drivers with modded inf's both done myself and by J95, and the other site that mod's there inf file.. still no success. I'm currently at a loss. I'm running Win 7 Ult 64bit, and i see the card in device manager as unknown device, and have pulled the hardware ID out and have sent all this info to J95 because the man just has this r3 stuff dialed in.. I feel it's got to be something simple because so many people have failed and made a minor change and have been successful on here and got to use the Thank you button!... I have tried just about everything in this post and im flat out exhausted. Thanks to everyone in advance.

So I back tracked,, thinking of anything that could've gone wrong during the botched info I got from the people I bought the video card from. I also have been staring at J95's post on page 23 for hours now with the 780M install... and realized I removed the drivers for the integrated video and sound cards, which robbo said i probably didn't have to do.. but what I failed to do was disable the integrated audio and video card in device manager.. so I reinstalled the audio drivers, then disabled both the video and audio in device manager and behold, graphics drivers installed and i'm back looking at 1600x900!!!!!!!! = ).. but no audio =( im sure it's a simple fix but after 10-15 hours of staring at every possible post for the 780M install i'm burned out.. Much Love and Thanks to J95 and Robbo and everyone else on here who has posted solutions to all of our many problems!! And everyone who's pulled away from here and fixed there problems should donate at least a little bit!! This kind of information would cost you hundreds from the PC companies if you had to call them..

PS. if someone wanted to throw me that quick audio fix I would really appreciate it... I truly am burned out..

PSS.. I used the Resident Evil 6 benchmark on Steam to test my system with my old 460M and my new 780M.. OMG serious.. Can't wait to play some games!

PS. if someone wanted to throw me that quick audio fix I would really appreciate it... I truly am burned out..

PSS.. I used the Resident Evil 6 benchmark on Steam to test my system with my old 460M and my new 780M.. OMG serious.. Can't wait to play some games!

Here you go #1 #3 #25 http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/4829-780m-gtx-m17xr3-integrated-soundcard-working-again-no-more-usb-soundcard.html#post67790

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything is fixed! For now =) I gotta get some games running and push this thing and see how it goes.. everything seems to be in order for now. I want to say thanks again to J95, Robbo, and everyone else on here that's contributed on this post and any post out there.. Without these guys out here figuring this out we'd be stuck paying the man to fix our issues and they already have to much money... Game on

• Thumbs Up 2

Everything is fixed! For now =) I gotta get some games running and push this thing and see how it goes.. everything seems to be in order for now. I want to say thanks again to J95, Robbo, and everyone else on here that's contributed on this post and any post out there.. Without these guys out here figuring this out we'd be stuck paying the man to fix our issues and they already have to much money... Game on

No problem, good choice NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

Modded nv_dispi.inf v347.88 AW

Overclocking is back! Enjoy It While You Can...;)

Desktop entries/nv_dispi.inf v347.88 - AW 18/17 - M18x/M17x - 980M - 970M - 880M - 780M - 680M

GeForce 347.88 WHQL

nv_dispi.inf_v347.88_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if i uninstall my nvidia drivers with DDU and uninstall IDT drivers, i still get error when i have audio enabled in bios.. trying to run w7 ultimate.. at login and sometimes i manage to login but seconds later: white screen. sometimes blue light, and seconds later it stays blacked out.

what is going on? i can't even make it work with drivers uninstalled. and i have tried the steps many times.

please, i need suggestions.

460m to 780m, alienware mx17 r3, w7 ultimate

Even if i uninstall my nvidia drivers with DDU and uninstall IDT drivers, i still get error when i have audio enabled in bios.. trying to run w7 ultimate.. at login and sometimes i manage to login but seconds later: white screen. sometimes blue light, and seconds later it stays blacked out.

what is going on? i can't even make it work with drivers uninstalled. and i have tried the steps many times.

please, i need suggestions.

460m to 780m, alienware mx17 r3, w7 ultimate

Sounds like it's probably a hardware problem if your white & blue screens are happening at different points of the boot process. I'd try to ensure that the card is padded up level (so it's not bending), take the card out and blow out the PCIe slot with a can of compressed air, clean the gold contacts of the card, replace the card into slot (mine snaps into place). Then make sure you're following j95's instructions on Page 23 Post#222.

• Thumbs Up 1

happens always at login, sometimes inmediatly after i login. my guess is there is a conflict when drivers start running.

i did the steps and cleaned the contacts.. so far, no luck. :\

any more suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

GeForce Hotfix driver 350.05

GeForce Hotfix driver 350.05

Battlefield Hardline - crash with Direct X error message on some systems
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - TDR crash
  • PhysX 9.15.0324
    nv_dispi.inf: PEG/Dedicated & Optimus/M17xR4.
    nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M
    GeForce 350.05 HF

@chiefule Try installing 350.05 using nv_dispi.inf, check throttling stock clocks. Soon modded .inf that removes throttling/stock clocks.

nv_dispi.inf_v350.05_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

I've used this thread in the past to upgrade my failed gtx580m to the GTX780m with success and for that I thank you. However I am still on some very old drivers (335.23) I have just installed GTA V and am aware that there is a new driver that reduces the stuttering that I am experiencing currently. I see J95 has already released an updated inf for it but I am not sure how I go about installing the new drivers on an old modded m17xr3.

Do I just:

1/ uninstall existing drivers using DDU in safemode,

2/ extract new Nvidia driver v350.12 to a folder

3/ replace inf file in that folder with J95's modded inf file

4/ start v350.12 installation direct from the folder

Would somebody please verify if that is correct or if I need to do anything else like we had to during the original graphics card install?

I've used this thread in the past to upgrade my failed gtx580m to the GTX780m with success and for that I thank you. However I am still on some very old drivers (335.23) I have just installed GTA V and am aware that there is a new driver that reduces the stuttering that I am experiencing currently. I see J95 has already released an updated inf for it but I am not sure how I go about installing the new drivers on an old modded m17xr3.

Do I just:

1/ uninstall existing drivers using DDU in safemode,

2/ extract new Nvidia driver v350.12 to a folder

3/ replace inf file in that folder with J95's modded inf file

4/ start v350.12 installation direct from the folder

Would somebody please verify if that is correct or if I need to do anything else like we had to during the original graphics card install?

Almost, don't forget to disable the Driver Signing if you're using Windows 8 or 8.1 on Command Prompt ( as admin) before you start the Driver Installation......

I am new here trying to get past 5 post to download the modded files. Then I will place my order of 780M / 880M / 980M. I currently have M17R3 machine with 580M 120Hz. Can u guys suggest in terms of stablility and value? Is it wise to go get a 980M or 880M or do I only have to get 780M for it to be a stabil upgrade?

- Anyhow credits to J95, robbo, all you froumers for this thread.

Thanks

I am new here trying to get past 5 post to download the modded files. Then I will place my order of 780M / 880M / 980M. I currently have M17R3 machine with 580M 120Hz. Can u guys suggest in terms of stablility and value? Is it wise to go get a 980M or 880M or do I only have to get 780M for it to be a stabil upgrade?

- Anyhow credits to J95, robbo, all you froumers for this thread.

Thanks

Hi, I'd choose a 780M out of all of those. 980M isn't compatible, won't work at all. 880M may work, but don't really recall any users having done it on the R3. The 780M will work, and with a modified vBIOS from svl7 will outperform even an overclocked 880M - the 880M's were just buggy & throttled loads when overclocked. 780M is your best bet! Either that or buy a new laptop with 980M, there's no other card upgrade really worth it over a heavily overclocked 780M. (Before you buy the 780M just check this thread or others that there are no issues with 780M and 120Hz display in the R3, I don't remember there being an issue, but I'd check if I was you.).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I'd choose a 780M out of all of those. 980M isn't compatible, won't work at all. 880M may work, but don't really recall any users having done it on the R3. The 780M will work, and with a modified vBIOS from svl7 will outperform even an overclocked 880M - the 880M's were just buggy & throttled loads when overclocked. 780M is your best bet! Either that or buy a new laptop with 980M, there's no other card upgrade really worth it over a heavily overclocked 780M. (Before you buy the 780M just check this thread or others that there are no issues with 780M and 120Hz display in the R3, I don't remember there being an issue, but I'd check if I was you.).

Thanks Robbo.. I will go with the 780M.. Bit of research then I will start the journey to do the upgrade and hopefully I won't get any problems.. I remember one of the forumers in this thread mentioned a succesfull upgrade with the 120Hz screen.. and also amazon website selling the card mentioned that it worked for the 120Hz screen.. I can't find anywhere else for any reassuring evidence that it works.

Thanks Robbo.. I will go with the 780M.. Bit of research then I will start the journey to do the upgrade and hopefully I won't get any problems.. I remember one of the forumers in this thread mentioned a succesfull upgrade with the 120Hz screen.. and also amazon website selling the card mentioned that it worked for the 120Hz screen.. I can't find anywhere else for any reassuring evidence that it works.

I think it will be fine, will be a good upgrade!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...