M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

veer

Hello,

I changed in my Alienware m17x r3 my graphic card from 6970 on gtx 780m.

GTX 780m before was used in clevo.

I flash vbios modded bios: Dell.GTX780M.4096.130418

I do all things described here : http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/3702-m17x-r3-gpu-upgrade-gtx-780m-23.html#post71956

I have i7 2630qm processor. Max temperature on processor is 68C, on GPU 75C.

In game's i have throttling, every few seconds timing drop from GPU Core from about 800 to 300, and Memory from about 1250 to 400 per 10-15 seconds and back to properly timings only on few seconds ... and throttling again.

Is possible that AC is suspect? My AC have 240W ...

My card throttling in 78C, i use the best paste and thermopads but card very quickly have 78C ... is any solution?

• Thumbs Up 1

I spoke a little too soon. I found out that a number of the games I play would just startup to a black or other color screen and do nothing. I realized that they were all directx games because the non-directx ones worked fine. When I ran dxdiag it also went blank screen. Once I restarted the system and tried dxdiag again it said it had trouble accessing direct sound. I unchecked the signature checking in the dxdiag window and that let it run. I went ahead and ran the commands to disable driver signature checking like the win8 guys have to do (I am running Win7) and so far that seems to have fixed it. The games I could not run before seem fine now.

Question, I followed the amazing directions for the GTX 780M upgrade from a 480m, but the audio doesn't seem to work. I currently have to have HD audio disabled from the f2 options during boot (Windwos 7 x64) to prevent the computer from white screening. Is there a way to fix this or are the only options to buy and external usb sound card or mobo 4 upgrade? I installed the card into an alienware m17x r3. Have the unlocked a12 bios and modded nvdmn.inf copied over. The card is installed, but the computer won't start (white screen) if HD audio is enabled.

Thanks for your help.

Hi J95,

Is that working on gtx880m with m17x r3? the geforce v344.80 driver.

I am using 340.44 beta now for gaming. It is unstable I think.

Could I have this one for gtx880m in m17x r3? Is that work?

Please let me know what is best driver for gaming.

additionally, I'd like to use kepler vBIOS. Unfortunately, I have something wrong.

It does not work.

Should I use this v344.80 with vBIOS in my system?

Sorry. I have many confused question.

Thank you,

Mike

Question, I followed the amazing directions for the GTX 780M upgrade from a 480m, but the audio doesn't seem to work. I currently have to have HD audio disabled from the f2 options during boot (Windwos 7 x64) to prevent the computer from white screening. Is there a way to fix this or are the only options to buy and external usb sound card or mobo 4 upgrade? I installed the card into an alienware m17x r3. Have the unlocked a12 bios and modded nvdmn.inf copied over. The card is installed, but the computer won't start (white screen) if HD audio is enabled.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @Xcezzive & @getdeal, welcome to T|I.

Try this.

BIOS settings [Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

Uninstall IDT drivers (Programs and Features) -> reboot -> F8 Safe mode -> uninstall Nvidia drivers DDU/third option

BIOS enable IDT -> Install IDT drivers -> IDT control panel -> Advanced -> check enable power management-> Install nvidia drivers.

--> #1 #3 #25 http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/4829-780m-gtx-m17xr3-integrated-soundcard-working-again-no-more-usb-soundcard.html#post67790

Hi J95,

Is that working on gtx880m with m17x r3? the geforce v344.80 driver.

I am using 340.44 beta now for gaming. It is unstable I think.

Could I have this one for gtx880m in m17x r3? Is that work?

Please let me know what is best driver for gaming.

additionally, I'd like to use kepler vBIOS. Unfortunately, I have something wrong.

It does not work.

Should I use this v344.80 with vBIOS in my system?

Sorry. I have many confused question.

Thank you,

Mike

Follow this guide for v344.80, "Driver Installation" remember to disable driver signing under Win8.1 - 880M included [Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

• 4 weeks later...

Modded nv_dispi.inf AW.

I've been using nv_dispi.inf for some time now, mainly to exclude OEM customizations.

Since nvdmi.inf lacks Maxwell entries and to avoid multiple INFs, I've included all models & cards -> nv_dispi.inf <- AW17 - M17x - AW18 - M18x - GTX 980M - 970M - 880M - 780M - 680M - Single & SLI

Maxwell previously tested http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-65.html#post116116

Full IDs http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-69.html#post116252

CUDA NVCUVENC Mod. Just register nvcuvenc DLLs as explained here #3 http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/8290-%5Bmod%5D-latest-nvidia-drivers-cuda-nvcuvenc-encoder-support.html#post114350

Note: v347.09 GTX 980M SLI and GTX 970M SLI notebooks are not supported

with this driver. With SLI enabled on these notebooks, a black screen

will occur upon uninstalling this driver. To workaround this issue,

disable SLI before uninstalling the driver.

Broken Overclocking options.

Windows 8.1

Run DDU/Safe mode, Clean and Shutdown
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver w/ 7-Zip/winrar
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe

GeForce 347.09 WHQL

GeForce 344.80 Beta

GeForce 344.75 WHQL

GeForce 344.65 WHQL

nv_dispi.inf_v347.09_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.80_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.75_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.65_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

5 quality posts or T|I Elite Membership and get immediate download access.

• 3 weeks later...
Just one noobie question:

Is possible to upgrade from an AMD RADEON 6970 to a NVIDIA GFX780?

The heatsink and components are compatible with each other?

I think so, you'll need to make sure you get an NVidia X-bracket, don't use the AMD X-bracket, and I'm not sure if the screws you have will fit an NVidia X-bracket (so you'd have to find out about that or order the screws and X-bracket as a set). Then you rearrange the pads on the heatsink to match the 780M, as well as removing the black tape on the heatsink contact plate - the bit that contacts the GPU core. You remove any traces of AMD drivers before putting in the 780M, and change any BIOS settings as necessary. Think the install procedure has been listed in this thread.

i myself have an alienware m17x and today i've just upgraded my graphics card from a gtx580m to a gtx 780m but the problem is my laptop wont register it at all i'm no techie or anything like that but when i go on the nvidia site to download the drivers it keeps repeatedly saying "could not find a a driver for this pc" i dont want to hi jack this thread and i'm new to this site i saw something about a nvdmn.ini mod but im trying to get my 5 post to see if tahts going to help me at all

i myself have an alienware m17x and today i've just upgraded my graphics card from a gtx580m to a gtx 780m but the problem is my laptop wont register it at all i'm no techie or anything like that but when i go on the nvidia site to download the drivers it keeps repeatedly saying "could not find a a driver for this pc" i dont want to hi jack this thread and i'm new to this site i saw something about a nvdmn.ini mod but im trying to get my 5 post to see if tahts going to help me at all

Well, you're on the right track, you just need to do some research in this thread & others about how to install NVidia drivers using a modified inf. Here's a thread that describes how to do it:

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf.html

and here's another one so you know how to actually mod the inf file yourself:

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/5249-%5Bguide%5D-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files.html

(Just make some reasonable quality posts in other threads on this forum so you can get up to 5 posts, can be on anything as long as you're contributing & not just spamming.)

• Thumbs Up 1

For the M17XR3 can a 880m be used instead of the 780m using the same steps detailed in (#222) by J95?

I am considering upgrading my A18 to 980m SLI now that it seems possible (with a few tweaks) and using one of the 880m's in my old m17xR3 and flogging the other, but I have not found a clear description of a successful installation of an 880m in a 3D M17xR3 so far.

For the M17XR3 can a 880m be used instead of the 780m using the same steps detailed in (#222) by J95?

I am considering upgrading my A18 to 980m SLI now that it seems possible (with a few tweaks) and using one of the 880m's in my old m17xR3 and flogging the other, but I have not found a clear description of a successful installation of an 880m in a 3D M17xR3 so far.

I don't remember seeing one either. After you've done all the research, and still can't find anything, then it might still be worth a try.

Try this (#222) [Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation just skip the IDT workaround.

1) F2 enter the A12 unlocked BIOS M17x R3 BIOS A12 - unlocked & 'SATA fix' -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG ->F10 reboot.

• 2 weeks later...
@J95, I was under the impression that the IDT issue was IRQ or driver conflict of some kind and that it was not unique to the 780m, from your post am I correct in understanding that this was indeed a 780m issue only

Correct. Try deleting the NV HDAudio folder before installing drivers, reboot then Install NV HD Audio using have disk method/.inf.

j95 any update for nvidia gtx 780M? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All cards & models are included (Sig) http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-11.html#post116879

I'm pretty busy now...:hell_boy:

I am in the exact same situation right now. I have bought a GTX 780M from here and i want to upgrade my existing GTX 580M from my alienware M17xR3 (2011 model).

Also i bought thermal pads (0.5 mm and 1.0 mm thick - this one) and a better heat sink (this one) which should fully fits the card - my current one is a bit smaller on the left and right side (see this image).

Today i got the card, but the thermal pads and heat sink are still on the way.

In the meanwhile i want to prepare everything for upgrading my notebook, so i wanted to know some things ahead which i know i need:

- What is the correct thermalpad-layout for GTX 780 / 4 GB?

- Where do i get a unlocked A12 Bios-Update (Currently i have A12 Stock)?

- Normal NV drivers wont work right? Therefore some modded drivers are required (http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-11.html#post116879) right?

- Is optimus supported? (On must i leave the integrated GPU always disabled?)

- Can i still use the onboard sound (Of course it will be disabled before upgrading the GPU - thats i know for sure)

Thanks,

Final

I am in the exact same situation right now. I have bought a GTX 780M from here and i want to upgrade my existing GTX 580M from my alienware M17xR3 (2011 model).

Also i bought thermal pads (0.5 mm and 1.0 mm thick - this one) and a better heat sink (this one) which should fully fits the card - my current one is a bit smaller on the left and right side (see this image).

Today i got the card, but the thermal pads and heat sink are still on the way.

In the meanwhile i want to prepare everything for upgrading my notebook, so i wanted to know some things ahead which i know i need:

- What is the correct thermalpad-layout for GTX 780 / 4 GB?

- Where do i get a unlocked A12 Bios-Update (Currently i have A12 Stock)?

- Normal NV drivers wont work right? Therefore some modded drivers are required (http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-11.html#post116879) right?

- Is optimus supported? (On must i leave the integrated GPU always disabled?)

- Can i still use the onboard sound (Of course it will be disabled before upgrading the GPU - thats i know for sure)

Thanks,

Final

All explained here [Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

Correct. Try deleting the NV HDAudio folder before installing drivers, reboot then Install NV HD Audio using have disk method/.inf.

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 347.52 WHQL

Modded nv_dispi.inf_v347.52_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip