When do you use a FPS limit?

I always use the inbuilt FPS limiter of RTSS in conjunction with Afterburner. Vsync off in NVCP and ingame, sometimes I notice some tearing but most of the time I'm good with it.

Leads me to the question: If FPS limiter is to be used regularly should Vsync be enabled (at NVCP "Adaptive Vsync / ingame at par with monitor's Hz) or left off? Like to hear your suggestions - Thanks in advance!

If i have the option to limit I will set my fps to 240 -180 Or 120 FPS If i can sustain one of those fps amounts on this MSI-GT70 2OC laptop "even when attached to my 27" 60hz Samsung @ my parents place" or my guest pc with a BenQ 27" 60hz monitor.

I have never had tearing at those frame rate's I may be wrong but my theory behind it is doubling , Tripling or Quadrupling your fps exactly over a 60hz monitor seems to land frames more evenly.

When i use my 120Hz benQ XL2420TX "main PC" I either run 120fps or 240fps depending on What my gpu can sustain which also mean's I need to keep they GPU up to date Highend in order to do so.

I prefer Capping over Vsync as if the fps ever happens to drop under desired vsync fps then it does not cut in half or a portion to half if triple buffer is on and it works better then vsync or adaptive vsync even for not giving the user input lag.

• 2 weeks later...

I like using vsync on every game I play, my eyes bug out when the screen tears. Also, I don't want to be pushing my gpu that hard so allowing vsync to cap it at 60 is very nice. Overall I just want a stable framerate, I can't stand when fps drops from like 180 fps to 100 when there is a lot of action on screen, usually you will notice a huge fps drop. Also, our eyes can't really tell much of a difference between 60 and 180, however when you drop frames it can become noticeable.

• 1 month later...

The only time you set a fps limiter is when you actually see tearing on your screen. There's always V-sync, but it will likely a noticeable mouse delay. As for osu, I don't you need to limit your fps on osu. I play osu with 1800 fps, and its equally the same as 300 fps.

• 2 weeks later...

I cap it in most games, it does some weird stuff if I don't. I noticed League of Legends gets REALLY wonky and stuttery for some reason. Put it back to 60 and it works fine. Borderlands like to be unlimited though, and gets weird if I try to cap it. Not sure if it's a game engine thing or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How are you guys caping the FPS? Is this an option in the game itself, some third party program, or in the GPU settings?

You can cap the fps to 60 by turning on the vsync option. it can be done on the gpu settings also most games have this option.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone said earlier, turning on Vsync in many games causes sort of an input lag to appear, which is not desirable. I'm pretty sure there are options to limit the FPS without turning the Vsync on in Dxtory and MSI Afterburner.

• 3 weeks later...

I limit my FPS when I feel that the screen is not smooth. Over 60FPS, most people do not see the difference. If your system constantly keep FPS around 60. I recommend limit your FPS. It givea you more smooth screen vision.