When do you use a FPS limit?

I remember using the frame limiter option in GTA Vice City on my PC. In certain situations the game ran faster and slower feeling like chewing gum. After activating the limiter the game ran with constant speed - although not on 60fps afaik.

I know what you mean I think they refer to it as a rubber band effect like you say bunch of frames race and then next few chug along and using a frame limiter it fixes that issue.

There's not much point in allowing a game to run at a frame rate above your pc's (laptops) screen refresh rate, as obviously your only going to be able to see the probably 60 or 120 frames your screen renders in any case. Other than that larger, or just frame rates that do not divide into your screens frame rate easily can cause tearing. What this really means is that one, when your frame rate is higher than your refresh rate the GPU is using energy it doesn't need to use, (it will always run at peak levels otherwise) two it therefore will heat up more than it has too (unless you want to find out how hot your GPU can get before it get's fried there is no point to this - or waste money on energy you don't have to, and your cooling is good enough to handle this), and three you may cause tearing in the screen and cause the graphical beauty of your game to be rendered null and void, (exaggeration, but I'm guessing you get what I mean.)

• 4 weeks later...

For the FPSs I play, my card will idle at 120 fps, and stress down to 60 fps. As such I tend to frame limit to 60 to eliminate stress induced fps changes which inevitablely throw me off at critical moments.

You can actually set it to whatever you want. Although you won't notice an performance gain after you hit the refresh-rate of your monitor. It's the opposite in my opinion. You'll notice tearing (at least I do). So normally i limit my FPS too 60FPS which works out good for me.

If your PC isn't powerful enough and can't handle a constant 60fps i would go down another 10 fps until it's stable around that framerate.

This is why GSync is awesome. Stability only hurts because of the way monitors work. GSync makes 50fps feel like 60.

This is why technologies like Gsync and FreeSync are so cool, VSync always has drawbacks, whether you are running above or below the refreshrate of the monitor. Vsync will often produce noticable inputlag from your mouse because the computer has to drop frames. Personally i'd rather have screen tearing than mouselag, so no Vsync for me.

Any game that gets like 60-70 fps, I limit down to 55. But if I'm getting 80-90, I just leave it. I think it's usually worth the extra frames with that amount of extra frames. Skyrim tears really bad with its artificial 60fps limiter, so 55fps is best for that. I have to turn it on in NvidiaTweaker though, there's no ingame option. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that any stuttering I experience is almost always related to frame rate dips. Since my laptop plays most games around 30-40 fps, I always use Inspector and set a 30 fps limit. This keeps my games from experiencing stutter most of the time. I might bump it up to a locked 45 fps if I'm getting 40-60 fps.

I personally cap my frame rate in almost any game, as my rig can get almost 60 always. I always turn v-sync on in the games' settings and then use dxtory to cap the frame rate at 59 fps (1 below my monitor's refresh rate) to eliminate mouse lag. All in all its a great setup and people should try it out if they're getting mouse lag. Plus, it eliminates a lot of unnecessary heat that you would normally get from running games at their maximum frame rate. Some games don't like the capping though, for some odd reason.

This is good to know. I can't wait until my 980Ms get in so I can check out how crazy the FPS gets. I remember Sleeping Dogs, when it came out, was actually quite hard on GPUs and the 680Ms in SLI could just barely get around 50 FPS or so in Ultra. Given that one 980M is roughly similar to 680M in SLI, if not a little less, I can't wait to be blown away. That is, before promptly following the advice in this thread and turning on an FPS limiter. :3

• 3 weeks later...

Skyrim need Vsync to work properly, Unreal tournament needs to have the frame-rate capped or things just get werid (extreme speed etc) and some of the call of duty games work best at 125fps, otherwise the more frames the better :D

If you use a notebook, maybe running with too high fps could get you computer hot.

If you limit it, it can save battery and also cool it a little bit, beause when you gets the fps free, the computer will try to run at the maximum possible.