NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

I just played Borderlands 2 for about 15 mins. The lowest I saw it go was to 1045MHz then once and a while it will go up a bit then drop back down. I noticed it go all the way up to my set overclock speed once things got a bit crazy in game then drop back down once GPU usage dropped below 50%. I am going to post my hardware monitor file log so you can have a look if you need any more info please let me know.

Thank You Once Again :)

Ya that's happened with my titans using svl7 bios and my classified. Borderlands uses such low gpu usage that it down clocks a lot especially in sli. Pretty much all other games like far cry 3, crysis it doesn't happen. Borderlands is a very light game on the gpu, I always thought it was normal even when using the disabled boost bios's.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know, you're the second one telling me that everything above 1.5V will still max out at 1.5V... As the evbot sets the voltage directly per hardware bus the vbios shouldn't have any influence. Either it's a limitation in the evbot firmware, or it's a bug. Or a bug elsewhere...

It has been said that 1.80V or even more should be possible with the evbot, though I haven't seen any official specs confirming this. I'm not sure... maybe it would be best to contact EVGA, maybe the can give some insight here. I don't have a Classified 780 to test it myself so I can't really say anything for sure.

Jacob confirmed in the evga forums the 780 classified is limited to 1.5v even with the evbot. So 1.35v with software and 1.5v with the evbot. He said they will update the evbot firmware so it doesn't show higher than 1.5v. I still think that is pretty great. Nobody was even sure if any card this series from NVIDIA would allow higher than 1.2v after they removed evbot support last year and started really limiting things voltage wise. I think 1.5v is pretty high and a step in the right direction.

Does anybody know which type of memory the classy 780 has ???? I think mine is not overclocking i get crashes almost instantly if i turn up the mem overclock.

No idea, only one way to find out I guess...

Hey guys I here you all talking about GTX 780 and GTX 770 bios mods but can I get some love with my GTX 760? I know with some good voltage I could get 1400-1500mhz from it. My model is the GV-N760OC-2GD. If you could modify this BIOS to allow more voltage and possibly disable boost 2.0 I would appreciate that very much.

Right... some 760 love... any specific vbios version? Also now that you mention it, I haven't posted a modified 770 vbios yet.

Jacob confirmed in the evga forums the 780 classified is limited to 1.5v even with the evbot. So 1.35v with software and 1.5v with the evbot. He said they will update the evbot firmware so it doesn't show higher than 1.5v. I still think that is pretty great. Nobody was even sure if any card this series from NVIDIA would allow higher than 1.2v after they removed evbot support last year and started really limiting things voltage wise. I think 1.5v is pretty high and a step in the right direction.

Yeah, I've seen that post. While I agree that it is great to see such a card with higher limits I think it's is ridiculous to set artificial limits on it. The EvBot is an enthusiast tool for extreme overclockers, there's no point using it unless you're a serious bencher. So why do they limit the voltage to 1.5V 'only'? I'm pretty sure that's not the limit of the voltage regulator on the board (though I could be mistaken).

As EVGA seems to have done a good job when designing the power circuitry of the classified the card is not running at its limits, even at 1.5V. It's a pity to see it locked down.

Furthermore the default power values are a joke. What's the point of allowing voltage adjusting when in the end you can't get the card to perform better unless you use a modified vbios...

Also to add t my intial question my bios that came with my 780 ACX SC is : 80.10.3A.00.80

Do I download your 780 ACX SC 80.10.3A.00.81 OC edtion?

Yes, that should be the best choice. Don't worry too much, your card will be fine, even if you run it at 1.212V all the time.

Also a few more questions, the only difference between the Classy bios and the ACX SC is the base clocks and the fan right? Vcore and power is the same? Did you remove the old ACX SC bios and replace it with the 3A? Finally, after I download it should I install my drivers again? And will I be able to use Precision X, if so do I leave the power target? I heard the max power you can even hit is 115% is that true? My GPU won't accidently spike itself out will it? I am using 2x6+2 adapters that will feed my power fine right?

GTX 760 cards run with 1,2 Volts all the time (if the cooler can handle it), but not all of them swallow the last step to 1,21 Volts set in tools. The Power Target is high enough for overclocking, so I don't think that these cards can benefit from a BIOS mod since they are "factory unlocked". Is there any chance to get higher than 1,21 Volts? I doubt that, Fermi works with the same limits.

Greetings from Germany,

Raff

SLV7, if I can get you a copy of my VBIOS could you modify it to allow more voltage and if you could disable GPU boost? Also how can I give you my VBIOS ROM? Not letting me make an attachment for it.

Raff, laptop graphics cards can be overvolted through a BIOS mod so pretty much anything is possible. And if this card could get more volts than the clocks would skyrocket.

Regarding the memory...

It is very likely that any card purchased anytime recently will have Elpida modules. That is the ONLY other vendor source for GTX 780 memory.

You can also look at the naked PCB pictures of the competitors top overclocking card that just went in stock and see that it also uses Elpida modules.

Samsung may be available again in the future but it is unclear when, there is simply just no supply right now on it.

Yeah, I've seen that post. While I agree that it is great to see such a card with higher limits I think it's is ridiculous to set artificial limits on it. The EvBot is an enthusiast tool for extreme overclockers, there's no point using it unless you're a serious bencher. So why do they limit the voltage to 1.5V 'only'? I'm pretty sure that's not the limit of the voltage regulator on the board (though I could be mistaken).

As EVGA seems to have done a good job when designing the power circuitry of the classified the card is not running at its limits, even at 1.5V. It's a pity to see it locked down.

Furthermore the default power values are a joke. What's the point of allowing voltage adjusting when in the end you can't get the card to perform better unless you use a modified vbios...

Well I flashed your bios on both my samsung memory card and my newest card using the new stuff that doesnt overclock that well, So far my clocks have been stable with 1149 and stock mem speeds with sli, im trying to stay sli game stable here.

Ya I completely agree. Luckily we have someone like you because my last couple cards would have really sucked without your vbios mods. I bought evbot thinking the limit was much higher. I'm just extremely happy to have a card finlly that allows more than 1.2v. I had like 4 680's and 4 different titans and everyone was voltage locked so I got really used to it. I wasn't even sure if this years classified allowed higher voltage before I bought it. EVGA didn't advertise that feature at all. Jacob was asked so many time before the cards release about the voltage and he never answered so a lot of people were thinking it would be locked down again. So I am pretty satisfied but I completely agree with your points. I would be really upset about the memory also. I kept saying how great it was and now everyone gets one and it's not. One of my cards mem goes to 7450mhz and the other hasn't crashed yet at 7500mhz, that amazing to me coming from my titans. That's also game stable speeds. It's almost like the samsung memory modules should have been rated at 7000mhz like the 770's and so we would be getting a normal overclock by going up to 7500mhz. 6000-7500 overclock game stable is crazy.

Yeah that memory thing is a bummer, the best I can do is about +400 , and that's with a good tail wind, when I try to get vmem higher than 1.675, I'm hitting the 115%.. On the other hand, the core clock like crazy, I can run firestrike at 1410x1640 with 1.3vcore, the card barely break 60c temp wise...

SLV7, if I can get you a copy of my VBIOS could you modify it to allow more voltage and if you could disable GPU boost? Also how can I give you my VBIOS ROM? Not letting me make an attachment for it.

Click on "go advanced" when posting, then you'll find the attachment options.

how do I flash it with nvflash? I keep getting this [ATTACH=CONFIG]8654[/ATTACH]

Shift-right click in the folder, open command window here and then type nvflash -6 filename.rom

I did -4 -5 -6 but it worked, is that okay?. Kinda weird though, I accidentally pressed shutdown instead of restart after flashing, anyway when I booted up I had no internet and precision X was still saying max power was 106%, restarted, now everything is fine, 115%, 1020 clock, is there a reason for this?

Doesn't matter in this case, but you will never have the need of -4 -5, just stick with -6 only and you're fine.

As for the issue after the restart... that can be related to many things. Nvidia's firmware is doing a lot of things beneath the surface which I don't like, that's related to the phenomena you noticed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't matter in this case, but you will never have the need of -4 -5, just stick with -6 only and you're fine.

As for the issue after the restart... that can be related to many things. Nvidia's firmware is doing a lot of things beneath the surface which I don't like, that's related to the phenomena you noticed.

Alright, seems like I have 1246 mhz stable, the extra power really seems to be paying off. I understand that it doesn't matter what power usage I pick right? I have it at 115% but its reporting to only be using 88% when before at stock bios I was capping out at 106%. Whats the mechanics behind the pwoer system? Is 88% refering to the 340w or the 115%?

Hi all....I'm new to the site and have a few questions for everyone? If there a tutorial on how to flash your bios on your card? If so, where can I see / read it? I am new to overclocking and this may sound dumb, but I am going to ask it anyway...what is a 24/7 overclock that is safe to use?

I do another question....what is the best why to test a GPU overclock?

Hi all....I'm new to the site and have a few questions for everyone? If there a tutorial on how to flash your bios on your card? If so, where can I see / read it? I am new to overclocking and this may sound dumb, but I am going to ask it anyway...what is a 24/7 overclock that is safe to use?

From what I can tell pretty much anything is safe. Rasing your vcore to 1.212v isn't going to make much of a difference degradation wise and since even with the bios' here getting rid of GPU boost your GPU will still downclock when idle. there is no flat out best 24/7 OC to use, you will need to find that yourself. I try to aim for a max temp during heaven benchmark of 80-85c as this is what nvidia tends to limit it to. Chances are you will hit temp limits far before you hit power or vcore limits with these bios'. I heard on ************** that running 24/7 1.2v will degrade in a year but svl7 can clear that up. I am also not sure if using more watts then intended is safe but again hopefully svl7 reads my post and clarifies

svl7 want to double check that my info is right?

- - - Updated - - -

100% is 340W. Therefore 88% means you're at 300W. At least according to Nvidia, not sure how accurate those numbers are in the end.

Seems like alot does it not?

Well i opened my classy just to find out that i have samsung mem..... I am still wondering why my card cant overclock the memory at all.

Is it possible that the CPU overclock might affect the memory overclock in the GPU???? I am still trying to figure out haswell and i think i am not 100% stable with the CPU.

Flashing: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

You can safely do it from within Windows instead of DOS since it's a desktop and not a notebook.

Don't worry too much about what's safe for 24/7, with the voltage limit of 1.212V you can't really do anything wrong. Just enjoy your card. As for what's stable... some people run benchmarks like 3dM11 in loops to see whether it crashes after a while... but that's not necessarily the best way. You'll see that overclocking can be very application specific, i.e. some programs will allow you to run at +200MHz core without issues while others my already crash at +50MHz. Therefore you most likely have to find different settings for different applications.

If the driver crashes just lower your overclock by 13 MHz and try again.

From what I can tell pretty much anything is safe. Rasing your vcore to 1.212v isn't going to make much of a difference degradation wise and since even with the bios' here getting rid of GPU boost your GPU will still downclock when idle. there is no flat out best 24/7 OC to use, you will need to find that yourself. I try to aim for a max temp during heaven benchmark of 80-85c as this is what nvidia tends to limit it to.

I pretty much agree. 1.212V is nothing to worry about, the die can handle this very well and while increased temps will shorten the life of components I don't think the GPU itself will suffer noticeably from this relatively low voltage. The surrounding parts on the board are much more likely to fail sooner with increased temps. Usually when a graphic card dies it's not because of the GPU but due to some other parts on the board.

Lower temps are always better.

What's most important for the life of the card is to be reasonable with the memory overclock. Many people overclock their memory way too high, it has little effect especially with the 780 and Titan but can severely shorten the life of the modules.

So far I haven't managed to kill a notebook GPU even though I went pretty crazy on some of them. My buddy managed to kill a 660m in a couple of months due to a constant memory overclock... that's what's going to happen with the current cards as well, the first cards that will fail are will be ones which run at a very high memory overclock all the time.

Seems like alot does it not?

Not really, the card can handle this very well. Keep in mind that the power target only sets the limit of the power draw, it doesn't have any effect on the actual draw (except for limiting it in case the card wants to draw more than what it's set). Meaning that if I set it to 600W it will still only use 300W when run with the same overclock. Physics.

Well i opened my classy just to find out that i have samsung mem..... I am still wondering why my card cant overclock the memory at all.

Is it possible that the CPU overclock might affect the memory overclock in the GPU???? I am still trying to figure out haswell and i think i am not 100% stable with the CPU.

The Samsung chips are fc03, i.e. rated for 6Gbps @ 1500MHz. They're already running at their specified limit. Everything above is a pure bonus and not guaranteed at all. It seems that in general the Samsung chips overclock better than for example the Elpida ones with the same rating, but in the end it comes down to luck. I recently used a 8970m which didn't allow me to overclock the memory by even 5MHz, it would instantly crash. Stock was perfectly fine. If already one module can't keep up then you'll run into driver crashes.