NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

Having flashed the bios for my Gigabtyte GTX 780 OC I noticed some strange things happening while benching. Not sure how great the card is, but I'm somewhat limited to 1180mhz on the core with the modded bios and about 1150 with the stock bios. I sort of made the mistake to not safe the bios that was on the card, able to take the power limit to 150% as for some reason Nvflash could not save it or any other application I used to try saving it. Any idea how I'll be able to save a bios from the 780? Maybe I did not use the correct keys..

Hi, this will be my first post here.

I came here through overclock.net in regards of custom vbios for my Inno3D GTX 780 iChill Herculez 3000 (VGA Bios Collection: Inno3D GTX 780 3072 MB | techPowerUp - wrong pic though, shows the reference card).

As of now, the card won't go over 1.187mV, the last 13mV bump doesn't make any difference. Another member in the thread tried the first OC BIOS you released but it works poorly with the card, as described by him:

Weird performance is like this:

When i play battlefield 3 the gpu usage with original bios is between 70-85% and with the modified bios from evga or the nvidia version is does only hit 40-60 % gpu usage, also the usage of tdp is lower, so the performance is weird/not stable (atleast for my card).

So in short it does not use my gpu optimal with the modified bios, hope you understand it now.

Maybey it does work good for your card, but not for me.

I hope someone can modify the original inno3d ichill herculez 780 bios (i have that uploaded on techpowerup, and verified )

To remove the gpu boost 2.0 and voltage up to 1.212 (locked at 1.200 here)

The kepler bios tweaker has no use on this bios, the voltage is grayed out so not changeable.

Needs to be unlocked i guess.

Also tdp settings are greyed out, so locked to.

So, I guess this is a request for you to see if you can help out creating a custom bios for our cards. Would be hughely appriciated and I'm ofc willing to donate money for your time and effort as you see fit. I also heard that you are busy with other requests and maybe you won't have time at all, but if - as said, it would be much appriciated :) Thanks!

Hey guys I am super new to these forums so sorry if Im being a noob. I just recently got an Alienware 17 with the 780m and I have gotten a score up to 7k without going into vbios, I just downloaded the overclock edition and its in a rom format. Is there a special program that I use to open this? I looked on the web and it seems like I need an emulator.

Sorry for the noob question. How do I deal with this .rom file after I unzip the 780 nvidia vbios unlocker?

any idea's on this? just downloaded your bios on the 1st page to try out on my 780 evga sc acx

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8221[/ATTACH]

Try downloading again, something's terribly wrong with the file you want to flash... did you extract the file etc.?

Hey guys I am super new to these forums so sorry if Im being a noob. I just recently got an Alienware 17 with the 780m and I have gotten a score up to 7k without going into vbios, I just downloaded the overclock edition and its in a rom format. Is there a special program that I use to open this? I looked on the web and it seems like I need an emulator.

Sorry for the noob question. How do I deal with this .rom file after I unzip the 780 nvidia vbios unlocker?

You're completely in the wrong forum here... that's the desktop section of T|I, you want to flash a 780m and not a desktop GTX 780. Grab the proper file here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

Also if you're so clueless about vbios flashing you should at least read up a bit before going to flash anything. Here's a guide about flashing, read it thoroughly and follow the instructions, there won't be any problems if you do what I wrote there: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

ok downloaded it again, extracted the file with winrar.

its not a rom file? so renamed it to gk110.rom

tried to flash in nvflash in windows using cmd, with run as admin

chdir c:/nvflash

nvflash -6 gk110.rom /y

still doesnt work ?!

flashed lots of other bios's this way

- - - Updated - - -

ahh got it, double clicked the 'non rom file'

to see the:

EVGA 780 - SC ACX - 80.10.37.00.0B - 'OC edition v00'.rom

+

READ ME.txt

svl7 thank you vm for mod bios! Flashed it on my gigabyte gtx 780 reference without any warnings with kepler bios tweaker and nvflash. Stable clocks are very nice, 1150 MHz for GPU without voltage adjusting is great, but there is an issue with Memory OC - on stock bios it was like 6800-6900 MHz stablea OC , now only 6300 MHz, with higher clocks - driver recovery (320.49 beta, win 7 64bit sp1, MSI Afterburner)... Any advice? Thanks!

P.S. Problem solved... 1150 MHz on GPU without adjusting voltage is stable only when the memory isn't overclocked. 1125\6800 MHz stable so far in Valley benchmark. But there is another issue - adjusting voltage gives nothing. Any value - +37, +50 and even +100 mV - in monitoring max value is default 1.175 V. The same picture is also with nvidia inspector. On stock BIOS this card was working fine 1176\6800 MHz or 1215\6000 MHz +37mV. Now it can't handle 1150 MHz - strange =\

P.P.S. Modified myself stock bios, there is boost but at least voltage regulation works fine up to 1.2 v (1.212v gives only +13 MHz more), so now it's like that http://img.techpowerup.org/130710/nvidia_20130710_125651.png Power limit set max to 110%. This way I get 1124 MHz\6800 MHz (1.162 V) and 1189\6800 MHz (1.187 V). 1202\6800 MHz works fine with 1.212 V (need to force in P00 state constant voltage - 1.212 V) but I don't want 3-4 degrees more and noise in exchange for additional 13 MHz on GPU. So using bios with default voltages (1.2 V max, but monitoring shows mostly 1.187 V).

Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25 works great without issues for editing bios. Then just command line, cmd and nvflash =)

svl7 thank you vm for mod bios! Flashed it on my gigabyte gtx 780 reference without any warnings with kepler bios tweaker and nvflash. Stable clocks are very nice, 1150 MHz for GPU without voltage adjusting is great, but there is an issue with Memory OC - on stock bios it was like 6800-6900 MHz stablea OC , now only 6300 MHz, with higher clocks - driver recovery (320.49 beta, win 7 64bit sp1, MSI Afterburner)... Any advice? Thanks!

P.S. Problem solved... 1150 MHz on GPU without adjusting voltage is stable only when the memory isn't overclocked. 1125\6800 MHz stable so far in Valley benchmark. But there is another issue - adjusting voltage gives nothing. Any value - +37, +50 and even +100 mV - in monitoring max value is default 1.175 V. The same picture is also with nvidia inspector. On stock BIOS this card was working fine 1176\6800 MHz or 1215\6000 MHz +37mV. Now it can't handle 1150 MHz - strange =\

P.P.S. Modified myself stock bios, there is boost but at least voltage regulation works fine up to 1.2 v (1.212v gives only +13 MHz more), so now it's like that http://img.techpowerup.org/130710/nvidia_20130710_125651.png Power limit set max to 110%. This way I get 1124 MHz\6800 MHz (1.162 V) and 1189\6800 MHz (1.187 V). 1202\6800 MHz works fine with 1.212 V (need to force in P00 state constant voltage - 1.212 V) but I don't want 3-4 degrees more and noise in exchange for additional 13 MHz on GPU. So using bios with default voltages (1.2 V max, but monitoring shows mostly 1.187 V).

Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25 works great without issues for editing bios. Then just command line, cmd and nvflash =)

You need to learn how to use line breaks, it's quite hard and somewhat annoying to read a wall of text :P First, as far as I know, MSI AB doesn't work properly with 780's, use EVGA Precision X instead.

Secondly, drop your ram clock in order to increase your core clock. Clocking the ram doesn't give you much but a few extra points in benchmarks, you'll most likely not see any difference while gaming. Boost works in 13Mhz "clusters". Meaning you will have to drop or increase the core clock offset with 13 in order to get a decrease or increase on the boost.

I'm curious to try out a new BIOS myself since my card only gives me +24mV over volting, the last 13mV bump does nothing. My current best result so far is 1202Mhz core and 6600Mhz on the ram, really hoping svl7 will find the time to look into a custom bios for the inno3d icill 780 :)

MSI AB works just fine, the same way as Nvidia Inspector. Besides EVGA Precision X isn't even near to MSI AB in terms of user-friendly interface IMO. And I've already made everything I wanted about clock profiles. 1189 MHz\6800 MHz is almos the same in games as 1202-1215 MHz\ 6000 MHz but better in terms of temperatures & noise.

The only thing left - to decide about leaving stock cooler or buying something like AC Accelero Xtreme III or Hybrid Cooler (not cheap solutions, but even now in my country there aren't any non reference GTX 780 cards available).

flashed on July 6th and been using my card fine, until today it gave me a BSOD while I was playing FFXIV realm reborn Beta. I have the Ref MSI GTX 780 card. At first I thought it was my cpu, but after I flashed the original Bios back, it's all fine. Does anyone get a BSOD yet? besides me.

MSI AB works just fine, the same way as Nvidia Inspector. Besides EVGA Precision X isn't even near to MSI AB in terms of user-friendly interface IMO. And I've already made everything I wanted about clock profiles. 1189 MHz\6800 MHz is almos the same in games as 1202-1215 MHz\ 6000 MHz but better in terms of temperatures & noise.

The only thing left - to decide about leaving stock cooler or buying something like AC Accelero Xtreme III or Hybrid Cooler (not cheap solutions, but even now in my country there aren't any non reference GTX 780 cards available).

You sure? I've only got better scores in benchmarks more or less with high ram seeing that not many games utilize that sort of speed :) Maybe you can do some benchmarks run in a game and show me the difference then! :)

I'm guessing you're not gonna go SLI then? Or where you planning to go SLI with two hydro copper cooler for instance? Yeah, that'll be expensive as hell :/

Guys, how high can you go with the stock bios?

Not really sure what you mean with how high can you go, are you talking about voltage? It's supposed to be able to hit 1.200mV but some cards (mine for example) can't get higher than 1.187mV on stock bios.

Sorry, I may be asking a somewhat silly question, but what driver works best for the GTX 780. I'm having a lot of difficulties with sometimes good sometimes poor performance with the 320.18 and 320.49 drivers.

I'm definitely not going to make SLI. Only once have used crossfire with 2 x 6850 - was fun, but lot's of headache sometimes =) Besides my MB can't afford that - Asus P8P67-M. Although i5 2500K @ 4.6 GHz is fair enough.

I made my choise yesterday and bought AC Accelero Twin Turbo II - what can I say? Awesome (so silent).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u33aexkjlmahtwj/IMG_1993.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t25094k99rjss06/IMG_1999.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7y9wv5bvi5f33eq/Twin%20turbo%2012v.png

glad to join this forum ..

i have 3 gtx 780 gigabyte in tri sli - they are windforce editions 3gb --

i want to flash them with the modded bios which is avaliable on this forum - as i am new to flashing nvidia gpus - would appreciate some help on how to do so -

do i have to flash all 3 of them - or just do it 1 by 1 ..

one more question -would the new bios in some way in long term damage the card by the slight over voltage etc ----

thanks

Sorry, I may be asking a somewhat silly question, but what driver works best for the GTX 780. I'm having a lot of difficulties with sometimes good sometimes poor performance with the 320.18 and 320.49 drivers.

I use this one NVIDIA DRIVERS 326.01WHQL

326.01 whql, working perfect on windows 8 also, and also on windows 7 (tested both)

320.49 by far. Actually havn't had anyone saying that they had problems with the latest drivers and 780 cards. Have you switched cards as in ati/nvidia without proper uninstalling recently?

glad to join this forum ..

i have 3 gtx 780 gigabyte in tri sli - they are windforce editions 3gb --

i want to flash them with the modded bios which is avaliable on this forum - as i am new to flashing nvidia gpus - would appreciate some help on how to do so -

do i have to flash all 3 of them - or just do it 1 by 1 ..

one more question -would the new bios in some way in long term damage the card by the slight over voltage etc ----

thanks

Individually. It depends on what clocks you run them at and at what speed. Of course, over volting the cards and running them at a high clock speed will shorten their life span, but as far as I've read, these cards are able to push so much more then what they're capable of stock without doing anymore damage than it would do running a i5 2500k @ 4,5ghz at say... 1.345v. As long as you keep your card cooler than 80 degrees and run at voltage around 1.2xx there should be no risk of damaging your card, however this is just what I read and heard from others so it's not 100% accurate, but i'd guess at least 85% ;)

i tried to flash the bios but it says u need a new version of nvflash i think i downloaded the latet version ..

can some please give a link to the latest version of nvflash that works on the gtx 780 gigabyte windforce edition ....