NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

Hey all, I flashed the bios to my evga 780 sc acx cards yesterday had ran many test and did a lot of research. Thanks Svl7 for the awesome bios (and for posting the dos version of nvflash)! I only want to know why I'm not getting the boost from my sli bridge that I receive with the stock bios...I have done all kinds of research and can't find out much about the loss of the increase. For instance, all of my overclock programs with the stock bios say 1070 boost right now so when I bring up the "Valley Benchmark" it is showing a current clock of 1356. This is because of the sli bridge. Now when I switch to the modded bios, what the overclocking programs read for clock speed on the cards is what it shows for the card on the same benchmark. If it says 1070 boost on those programs, it will show 1070 on the "Valley Benchmark." I'm hoping someone has advise or insight on this, it would be very appreciated as I've hit a wall on the issue...

Does this mean, that my 780 stay on the Clock I set?

I have watercooling, so I never get into TT but in PT @ 1202 Mhz....

Any suggestions?

Can u maybe make one with the new update from EVGA with 37.80 not 37.0B ?

Its not about the framerate its about the freedom and speed of movement in the game which is greatly improved with the card downclocking the movement forward feels like something is pushing/ holding you back like some unseen force but when the card is at the clock speed it feels frictionless moving jumping about freely seamlessly free as a bird. If you are an overclocker you probably got interested in clocking because of games(but you will deny this is as the meme of the overclocker(they are too good for video games now but of course you want to overclock your computer to run superpi which has no application to your life and to clock microsoft excel and word so you can type faster or your getting rich off bitcoins or helping the scientists crack protein interaction because you care about science and not burning your computer up like a hotrod because doing burnouts at an intersection is cool(becuz iz goes fasteyr than u boah)..... lol))So why would anyone shorten the lifespan of their computer so they can essentially turn their pc into a drag racer?(not knocking overclocking i fully understand its importance just making a point here) Because it gives you a better understanding of the details and capability of the hardware to use it in an a more efficient way(at least money wise buying stock clocked parts can become very expensive). So knowing you are here I find it hard to understand your assertion that it will only make the fans run louder and waste electricity(green is a propaganda front anyway by oil companies to make money with carbon taxes; burning fossil fuels puts more co2 in the air for plants to breathe which increases life so I'm not worried about using electricity I'm worried my countries finanical infrastructure is being destroyed increasing energy prices via inflation and my home electric bill go up(but for now im just bearing the increased cost and using all the electricity I want so f em) and I shouldnt have to pay the extra cost because of intentional currency mismanagement to destroy my country's economy and the subsequent attack on energy resources the 2 main pillars to attack when breaking a country's infrastructure). Games and rendering are more than just framerate that is only one aspect that everyone focuses on and now that games are only going to see limited performance windows because of threading and the fact games are no longer single core endlessly scalable by mhz which was stopped by the 4ghz heat wall(crysis 1 most you can get is still like 60 fps and the hardware has improved allot in the last 6 years). There are many latencies: physics depending on if its cpu or gpu, windows tweaks(of which there are a great many and when you add them all up there is a significant difference) hardware tweaks(of which the bios is key switch out your intel storage rom and look at that) so everything adds up. I can tell the difference in game between different ram timings. Please if you are an overclocker or tweaker abandon the it doesnt matter cause you can't percieve the difference argument because you don't know the answer to the question because that line IS OVER or its digital it just works I love that one too like a better sata cable accomplishes nothing(wrong, wrong, wrong). Humans can percieve 100s of fps or more probably thousands or even millions. Every detail timing tweak every detail in the universe matters and any performance increase possible that produces results is universally verifiable in these modular universal standard computers we all use and should be desired by everyone. Any other viewpoint is just ridiculous brainwash rat maze cynicism(animals on earth are like rats where the walls of the rat maze are other electric rats that zap you to make you conform because they dont like you shaking up the heirarchy and making them look bad; to free yourself of the trap become immune to zaps and spread your own influence free of the zaps and the maze).

Or to some it up this way: If yer an overclocker, don't tell me I dont need more mhz, boah; That's heresy.

Can't concentrate... Giant. Wall. Of. Text.....

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't concentrate... Giant. Wall. Of. Text.....

Yeah, hahaha, same here. @ColdFlo, would you mind slapping in some line breaks to make it more readable? :)

Thanks for saving that. I just flashed the OC Bios and it worked fine. Not sure why I couldn't save it though

Try the nvflash 5.142 which I posted in the GPU forums.

Can u maybe make one with the new update from EVGA with 37.80 not 37.0B ?

37.80 is just the naming scheme of EVGA, the actual version is not 37.80, GPU-Z reports it wrong. 37.0B is the actual version of the latest EVGA SC ACX vbios. Maybe I should have renamed it to the GPU-Z name in order to prevent confusion, but then again I have the files named properly on my drive and if I rename it I'll end up confused :P

Trying to save and flash my reference Gigabyte 780 Bios, using latest nvflash from techpowerup.

Turned write protect off with nvflash.

Upon running --save backup.rom I get the "ERROR: PCI Block chain corrupted - PCI Expansion ROM Header not found - GetUEFISupport() failed" in Windows or DOS.

I can backup the Bios through GPUz 0.6.6 but not sure if it is actually correct...

Any ideas to whats the problem?

Trying to save and flash my reference Gigabyte 780 Bios, using latest nvflash from techpowerup.

Turned write protect off with nvflash.

Upon running --save backup.rom I get the "ERROR: PCI Block chain corrupted - PCI Expansion ROM Header not found - GetUEFISupport() failed" in Windows or DOS.

I can backup the Bios through GPUz 0.6.6 but not sure if it is actually correct...

Any ideas to whats the problem?

Hi, I haven't tried nvflash yet, but I discovered that Gigabyte has a tool called vga@bios which was able to backup my BIOS for the my GB 780 Windforce OC. Worth checking.

It uses nvflash 5.138 -v to get info on the board. Just tried it and it works. Are you able to -v with it? (dos window administrator mode)

Hello svl7. There are some people complaining about coil whine using your mod in their gtx 780... Could you please make a new mod, using the evga 780 sc reference design (bios 80.10.37.00.80) to see if solves that problem??? Could it be posible to upload nvflash 5.142 to a server (I cannot download it from the posted link because I am not an elite member)??? Thanks in advance..

Hi, I haven't tried nvflash yet, but I discovered that Gigabyte has a tool called vga@bios which was able to backup my BIOS for the my GB 780 Windforce OC. Worth checking.

It uses nvflash 5.138 -v to get info on the board. Just tried it and it works. Are you able to -v with it? (dos window administrator mode)

I just tried nvflash 5.138 in Win7 64bit, using an administrator DOS window & it saved my BIOS. My card is Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD 780 GTX Windforce 3X OC

Worst comes to worst, I posted it on OCN, but I also could upload it here. I didn't try flashing it yet though since I don't think I use a modded BIOS for now (card works fine as it is atm).

Here's the result of the nvflash --save (see attachment)

result.txt

I used a "spare" EVGA 780. Had the same error on bios backup in nvflash.

So i again used GPUz 0.6.6 to dump the stock bios.

Then i flashed with the techinferno bios through windows nvflash. Worked perfect.

I flashed the stock bios back, still works.

After that testing, i did my own Gigabyte 780, flashed fine to techinferno. Im going to assume the backup will also be fine from the above testing i did.

My ASIC is 71%. For stable gaming my final offest was +195/195, for Core of 1187Mhz constant

Hello svl7. There are some peple complaining about coil whine using your mod in their gtx 780... Could you please make a new mod, using the evga 780 sc reference design (bios 80.10.37.00.80) to see if solves that problem??? Could it be posible to upload nvflash 5.142 to a server (I cannot download it from the posted link because I am not an elite member)???

I used a "spare" EVGA 780. Had the same error on bios backup in nvflash.

So i again used GPUz 0.6.6 to dump the stock bios.

Then i flashed with the techinferno bios through windows nvflash. Worked perfect.

I flashed the stock bios back, still works.

After that testing, i did my own Gigabyte 780, flashed fine to techinferno. Im going to assume the backup will also be fine from the above testing i did.

My ASIC is 71%. For stable gaming my final offest was +195/195, for Core of 1187Mhz constant

Finally got my answer! I will try the BIOS after this post :). I'd have a question about throttling for low demanding games though. Does it stick to max OC? or does it throttle when the power is really not required? (say I play Oblivion.. still do with tons of MODS), my current BIOS throttle down voltage & clock, & my temps never exceed 42c! Just hoping it will do the same with this BIOS.

Going to test right now... brb with some results :D

Note that the new GPUz 0.7.2 now reads (sensors) correctly for modded BIOS (0.7.1 didn't in my case).

OK, I made the plunge to modded BIOS :Banane16:

NOTE: I used nvflash 5.138 & I did not have to use --protectoff (for those interested in those things).

Differernces between stock on Gigabyte GTX 780 WF 3X OC...

Base clocks revert down to the nVidia reference (makes sense).

No Boost (fine by me)

Games that do NOT require much juice will throttle the core speed, but not the voltage... voltage is **always** at whatever you set it (1.212v in my case). So BL2 will throttle the core to 901mhz (lowest possible) but not the voltage. In the stock BIOS, it would throttle down to 964 (or was it 954) & voltage to 1.025v.

Temps are about the same on the gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3x OC. I really like the cooler on that card.

Improvement over my stock BIOS was Valley 70.0 to 72.3 -- at least I know now that the extra voltage helps.. not by much though. I can now run at 1202/3500 while stock was 1176/500.. so +26Mhz gain. Worth it? not sure.. but at least the option is there if I ever want it! which is nice to know. Remember that my card is ASIC 62.3%.

So it was worth a try definitively. I'll probably revert to Stock (gotta try it anyway to be 'certain' that the backup works).

• Founder
Note that the new GPUz 0.7.2 now reads (sensors) correctly for modded BIOS (0.7.1 didn't in my case).

NOTE: I used nvflash 5.138 & I did not have to use --protectoff (for those interested in those things).

No Boost (fine by me)

Games that do NOT require much juice will throttle the core speed, but not the voltage... voltage is **always** at whatever you set it (1.212v in my case). So BL2 will throttle the core to 901mhz (lowest possible) but not the voltage. In the stock BIOS, it would throttle down to 964 (or was it 954) & voltage to 1.025v.

Temps are about the same on the gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3x OC. I really like the cooler on that card.

Improvement over my stock BIOS was Valley 70.0 to 72.3 -- at least I know now that the extra voltage helps.. not by much though. I can now run at 1202/3500 while stock was 1176/500.. so +26Mhz gain. Worth it? not sure.. but at least the option is there if I ever want it! which is nice to know. Remember that my card is ASIC 62.3%.

So it was worth a try definitively. I'll probably revert to Stock (gotta try it anyway to be 'certain' that the backup works).

The biggest advantage of this vbios isn't so much for the gain in overclock (though that's a nice addition), it's that the clocks are stable where you put them and GPU boost doesn't mess with it. That ensures a smoother gaming experience, especially for those of us running SLI.

The biggest advantage of this vbios isn't so much for the gain in overclock (though that's a nice addition), it's that the clocks are stable where you put them and GPU boost doesn't mess with it. That ensures a smoother gaming experience, especially for those of us running SLI.

Noted. I'll definitively keep that in mind for 'when' (not if) I get my second card. Flashed back for now (after 24 hrs testing) to see if there's any differences in temps. So far it's very very close so I'd say 1c or 2c maximum on demanding games/benchs and even then, it might be the room temperature that made the difference -- it can get very hot in here even with AC.

So, kudos to vl7 for this mod.. very impressive!

No Boost (fine by me)

Melk you have a gtx 780 windforce oc??

You flashed bios?, which is??

hello I'm french, I use your bios oc, my problem is that the frequencies after a game is in 3D.

After a game voltages and frequency rest therefore 901/1.212 map heater for nothing.

I'm 3x gtx 780 gigabyte bios with the original no worries voltage frequency.

thank you very much

Witch bios ? Gr8 clock, what's you ASIC ? And you have to get better numbers for those clocks, I've got ~15400 GPU with 1215mhz core. Edit: Inspecting your result further, you must be throttled or instable in some kind, your GT4 is way lower than it should be with those clocks near 45 area, not 43

This bios:

Nvidia GTX 780 - 80.10.36.00.01 - 'OC edition v00'

My Asic is 65.6%

can teach your benchmark? i think my benchmark is very good for one gtx 780