NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

any thought on updating the new EVGA bios's release i.e. the .37 versions release for MB compatibility?

I think the latest ACX bios he posted incorporated that fix. Though the ref/SC version has not be updated yet?

No, that won't be a problem at all.

All you need is nvflash filename.rom

If you want to flash a vbios from a different vendor use the -6 parameter. More information here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

I didn't adjust the fans of the ACX as I don't have an ACX cooler and don't know whether it needs adjusting and what needs to be adjusted...

Note that the SCX and non-SCX will have different fan behavior, even with the stock. With which mod did you get 4.5k? I guess with the ACX since that one has a higher fan speed in it.

Yes, except for the fan (see above). Well it's all in the read me file.

Hi, new to updating video card BIOS's, so forgive me if my questions seem silly. I'm using NVflash V.5.134 for windows. I type in the nvflash filename.rom and I get an error saying PCI subsystem ID mismatch. What do this error mean?

Flash with -6 filename.rom, and then confirm the subsytem ID override with y. That's nothing to worry about.

Thanks svl7, I got the new bios on my gtx 780 but it seems to negatively affect my o/c. With the stock bios I could get 1202 on the core, but now I can only get 1100. Has anyone else run into this?

Did you adjust the voltage? I removed boost, therefore the voltage won't adjust itself automatically.

Turns out Afterburner was my problem. Using Precision X now and everything seems to be good. Running at 1250 on the core and 3500 on the memory, all at 1.2mv. Thanks again svl7!

Turns out Afterburner was my problem. Using Precision X now and everything seems to be good. Running at 1250 on the core and 3500 on the memory, all at 1.2mv. Thanks again svl7!

Hell no, just kidding, show 5 runs Crysis2/CrysisWarhead benches maxed and 3DMark 2013 normal and extreme results @ those frequencies ;)(tho 1250 not possible 1241/1254 MHz real) Mind share your ASIC/temps also please.

Svl7 when we can expect 37 modded nonAVXcooler BIOS ?

Is any way you can just increase the Power target to 340W on the ACX bios? if so here is my bios 780Stock i just want to test something here. I found the ACX moded bios you made has a big issue in memory clock OC, on my cards with vbios i can only go +120MHz and stock bios i can go +600MHz, but on the stock bios my OC is limited to 1228MHz and on ACX vbios is 1254MHz.

Is any way you can just increase the Power target to 340W on the ACX bios? if so here is my bios 780Stock i just want to test something here. I found the ACX moded bios you made has a big issue in memory clock OC, on my cards with vbios i can only go +120MHz and stock bios i can go +600MHz, but on the stock bios my OC is limited to 1228MHz and on ACX vbios is 1254MHz.

I've been noticing this too. Looking forward to seeing if this can be adjusted. Also ran into a weird issue, if I put my memory at around +170ish I notice my framerates will actually drop after about 20 min of gaming, like 10-20 FPS in some cases. Could only get it to run correctly at +166 and below. I did try running it at +400 just for kicks, ran Crysis 3 for about 4 min then crashed. Card is running at 63c max,

For some reason this bios still downclocks on crysis 3 when on low everything 720p which is how you have to play it if you want to play multi competitively. Everything on high or other games it stays pegged at the clock. If the default is 340W how come I cant see that in nvidia inspector? Regardless ty for the bios and I think its the best one I've seen yet but still needs some work and there is room for improvement(anyone ever figure out how to get at ram timings in bios? since makve and mkvtech are no longer on net and nibitor never had ram timings on kepler). Not to knock you tho this is the first time I've seen Boost 2.0 removed. TY and keep up good work.

Went back to my stock BIOS, since the highest I can get the voltages on my stock bios is 1.187 volts the highest I can get my GPU is 1175MHz. However the RAM goes MUCH MUCH higher, I have been testing it at 1749MHz (I think it can go much higher, this was some random super high number I dialed it in at) verses the modded bios which the highest I can hit in RAM is 1584 MHz. Something is defiantly going on with the RAM speeds in the new vBIOS, if this can be resolved, this card would be amazing.

For some reason this bios still downclocks on crysis 3 when on low everything 720p which is how you have to play it if you want to play multi competitively. Everything on high or other games it stays pegged at the clock. If the default is 340W how come I cant see that in nvidia inspector? Regardless ty for the bios and I think its the best one I've seen yet but still needs some work and there is room for improvement(anyone ever figure out how to get at ram timings in bios? since makve and mkvtech are no longer on net and nibitor never had ram timings on kepler). Not to knock you tho this is the first time I've seen Boost 2.0 removed. TY and keep up good work.

The only time I have seen the modified bios do this is with Vsync on, what are your framerates?

Okay, having some issues, and was hoping you guys could help. I flashed the original BIOS mod svl7 posted, but I wanting to go to the newer BIOS EVGA posted on their forum. I know svl7 made an updated mod with that one, but it's labeled as ACX, but mine is just a stock cooler SC. When I try to run the EVGA update, it tells me that no compatible hardware can be found. Does anyone have a .ROM of the updated BIOS that I can try to flash in NVFlash? I want to test the newer stock BIOS out compared to the modded ones to see what works best for me. Please help :)

EDIT: To make things worse, I can't find my backups either :(

I must have over-written them or deleted them by accident. Can I restore off of someone else's backup, or am I screwed. I'm close to a panic now :26_002:

Okay, having some issues, and was hoping you guys could help. I flashed the original BIOS mod svl7 posted, but I wanting to go to the newer BIOS EVGA posted on their forum. I know svl7 made an updated mod with that one, but it's labeled as ACX, but mine is just a stock cooler SC. When I try to run the EVGA update, it tells me that no compatible hardware can be found. Does anyone have a .ROM of the updated BIOS that I can try to flash in NVFlash? I want to test the newer stock BIOS out compared to the modded ones to see what works best for me. Please help :)

I must have over-written them or deleted them by accident. Can I restore off of someone else's backup, or am I screwed. I'm close to a panic now :26_002:

If you are talking about ACX BIOS just force flash with -4-5-6 .36 one , after that you shouldn't have any problem to update 37 from EVGA executable file ;)

Somebody tried ASUS DC2 BIOS on a reference card till now ?

Svl7 when we can expect 37 modded nonAVXcooler BIOS ?

As soon as I find time.

The ACX rom should be compatible with an EVGA SC card?

Yes.

I've been noticing this too. Looking forward to seeing if this can be adjusted. Also ran into a weird issue, if I put my memory at around +170ish I notice my framerates will actually drop after about 20 min of gaming, like 10-20 FPS in some cases. Could only get it to run correctly at +166 and below. I did try running it at +400 just for kicks, ran Crysis 3 for about 4 min then crashed. Card is running at 63c max,
Went back to my stock BIOS, since the highest I can get the voltages on my stock bios is 1.187 volts the highest I can get my GPU is 1175MHz. However the RAM goes MUCH MUCH higher, I have been testing it at 1749MHz (I think it can go much higher, this was some random super high number I dialed it in at) verses the modded bios which the highest I can hit in RAM is 1584 MHz. Something is defiantly going on with the RAM speeds in the new vBIOS, if this can be resolved, this card would be amazing.

Not sure what's causing this, but I noticed a while ago that at a certain point of pushing the memory the performance will drop. Curiously it went up again when I pushed the mem even further... I don't know what the issue is, might be the driver.

Well, most people want to have the card run at lower clocks when the load is so low... I think this could be adjusted but only very few people would ever use this.

What do you mean with " If the default is 340W how come I cant see that in nvidia inspector?" The inspector only shows the % of the power that is currently used...

The timings stuff changed a lot since the 9 series, the current vbios, it wasn't possible for fermi cards to change them properly and it didn't get easier with kepler.

Doesn't matter. There's a bit of confusion going on regarding the serial nr. in the vbios. I can assure you that it doesn't get overwritten by flashing the bios the usual way. You can use the vbios of anyone, your serial is currently still on your chip and also will stay there.

Trust me everyone playing crysis 3 on multiplayer want a bios where the card doesnt downclock when the graphics are set to low. You have to play it this way in multi if you want to play competitively like you want to win(really all multi games when the win is on the line you play them on low and with most older games that are still played competitively on low the graphics are considered too low by the bios and will always downclock this is as major flaw of nvidia boost they should allow you to turn it off completely if you wish to... you seem closest to figuring it out but maybe you only care about overclocking bench tests, and not games, which are always run at high level graphics unless your running some old 3dmark or something). The run and movement speed are greatly enhanced otherwise you feel liike your trying to fight your way out of lag wet paper bag with graphics on high(maybe not 4 generations from now but by then well be playing some other game i mean I do have gtx 780s afterall). Sometimes the card will stay at the higher clock frequency but only briefly and when its at the clocked speed the game really does feel good. I think I get higher performance with crysis 3 on low on my old bios but every other game with a bios that doesnt downclock because im playing it on high graphics(because they are not multiplayer deathmatch competitive games) like borderlands 2 or farcry 3 dragon blood this bios is better. Im thinking the reason why people are getting lower memory performance is somewhere in your bios the timings on the ram are tighter and their stock bios have a looser timings. Could be many factors, but the ram timings have to be set somewhere in there its just no one has figured out how to get at those registers yet or which ones they are.

I see many innovators at the moment that have parts of the graphics tweaking picture but no one is pulling them all into play. We very badly need a replacement for nibitor that can read bios from newer windows flash bios from newer windows all integrated into one app(anatolymik over at techpowerup with hypersli is also a nice development this guy even beats nvidias attempts to stop him from circumventing sli licenses which is truly impressive). Ram timings OC profiles and curves..... the works all tweakable and testable in the operating system before flashing. All in one easy to understand and tweak application. Its too bad we dont have ram timing tweakability on older cards really did improve the latency on them allot. Infact I found tighter timings and not more mhz is what gave me better gaming performance because in a game at a certain point its not about higher frames its about lower latency or buying a new card.

• Founder

I bet you would see minimal gain in frame rate if the card stayed pegged at max frequency in a game that has a low load %. Think about it, if the card isn't being fully utilized, what would raising the clocks do? Just waste power and increase noise.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I'm having troubles doing any sort of modification. I have the Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD (GTX 780 with Windforce Cooler.) I am on Windows 7 x64 with Nvidia drivers 314.22 (installed with modified inf file) because both 320.11/320.18 gave me artifacting in Battlefield 3. But anyway I want to disable boost and do some good old fashioned overclocking but here is what's going on.

If I open NVFlash V5.134.0.1 in Windows it lets me do nvflash --protectoff and it works fine. I am running in an elevated command prompt by the way. If I try to save the BIOS with nvflash --save xxx.rom it just says "ERROR: PCI Block chain corrupted - PCI Expansion ROM Header not found - GetUEFISupport() failed". If I try in DOS with version v5.128.01 using a bootable flash drive, I get the exact same error. If I try to save the file with GPU-Z 0.7.1 it tells me "BIOS reading not supported on this device" even after doing nvflash --protectoff.

Does anybody have a clue what I can do to get this fixed? I appreciate these BIOS mods by the way, can't wait to get this flashed.

edit:

Bellow is the BIOS for the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780. Would it be possible to just get a modded version of this with only a higher power target and the rest default? Thanks!

[ATTACH]7835[/ATTACH]

Also how does one go about editing these files? I would love to be able to do it myself

Thanks for saving that. I just flashed the OC Bios and it worked fine. Not sure why I couldn't save it though

Its not about the framerate its about the freedom and speed of movement in the game which is greatly improved with the card downclocking the movement forward feels like something is pushing/ holding you back like some unseen force but when the card is at the clock speed it feels frictionless moving jumping about freely seamlessly free as a bird. If you are an overclocker you probably got interested in clocking because of games(but you will deny this is as the meme of the overclocker(they are too good for video games now but of course you want to overclock your computer to run superpi which has no application to your life and to clock microsoft excel and word so you can type faster or your getting rich off bitcoins or helping the scientists crack protein interaction because you care about science and not burning your computer up like a hotrod because doing burnouts at an intersection is cool(becuz iz goes fasteyr than u boah)..... lol))So why would anyone shorten the lifespan of their computer so they can essentially turn their pc into a drag racer?(not knocking overclocking i fully understand its importance just making a point here) Because it gives you a better understanding of the details and capability of the hardware to use it in an a more efficient way(at least money wise buying stock clocked parts can become very expensive). So knowing you are here I find it hard to understand your assertion that it will only make the fans run louder and waste electricity(green is a propaganda front anyway by oil companies to make money with carbon taxes; burning fossil fuels puts more co2 in the air for plants to breathe which increases life so I'm not worried about using electricity I'm worried my countries finanical infrastructure is being destroyed increasing energy prices via inflation and my home electric bill go up(but for now im just bearing the increased cost and using all the electricity I want so f em) and I shouldnt have to pay the extra cost because of intentional currency mismanagement to destroy my country's economy and the subsequent attack on energy resources the 2 main pillars to attack when breaking a country's infrastructure). Games and rendering are more than just framerate that is only one aspect that everyone focuses on and now that games are only going to see limited performance windows because of threading and the fact games are no longer single core endlessly scalable by mhz which was stopped by the 4ghz heat wall(crysis 1 most you can get is still like 60 fps and the hardware has improved allot in the last 6 years). There are many latencies: physics depending on if its cpu or gpu, windows tweaks(of which there are a great many and when you add them all up there is a significant difference) hardware tweaks(of which the bios is key switch out your intel storage rom and look at that) so everything adds up. I can tell the difference in game between different ram timings. Please if you are an overclocker or tweaker abandon the it doesnt matter cause you can't percieve the difference argument because you don't know the answer to the question because that line IS OVER or its digital it just works I love that one too like a better sata cable accomplishes nothing(wrong, wrong, wrong). Humans can percieve 100s of fps or more probably thousands or even millions. Every detail timing tweak every detail in the universe matters and any performance increase possible that produces results is universally verifiable in these modular universal standard computers we all use and should be desired by everyone. Any other viewpoint is just ridiculous brainwash rat maze cynicism(animals on earth are like rats where the walls of the rat maze are other electric rats that zap you to make you conform because they dont like you shaking up the heirarchy and making them look bad; to free yourself of the trap become immune to zaps and spread your own influence free of the zaps and the maze).

Or to some it up this way: If yer an overclocker, don't tell me I dont need more mhz, boah; That's heresy.