NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

Soo... ACX and normal vbios both allow for 100% fan speed? (Well my modified normal 780 vbios should, but the ACX... up to 100% is possible?)

Using the ACX BIOS on a Reference card does not allow the fan to reach 100%. This is because 100% on a ACX fan is much lower in terms of RPM than on a reference cards fan. If you increase the % to above 100% for people that use the ACX BIOS on a reference card that should fix it, if possible.

But stock ACX vbios on a ACX card allows for 100% fan?

Someone with ACX card should tell this exactly, we're saying just the opposite - with 100% fan set we're getting near 70-75% of the reference card rpm speed ~3250-3300 rather than 4250-4300 rpms:)

If you're not able to mod this ACX BIOS to run full speed fan on reference card, you can always apply the same mod to the standard 37 SC bios, located at the same location - EVGA Forum firmware update.

You ACX guys can try this version if you want, I can't test it myself as I don't have an ACX respectively a 780.

Check the fan RPM when you set the fan to minimum and also when you set it to the max and please report back.

ACX_FanTest00.zip

Someone with ACX card should tell this exactly, we're saying just the opposite - with 100% fan set we're getting near 70-75% of the reference card rpm speed ~3250-3300 rather than 4250-4300 rpms:)

If you're not able to mod this ACX BIOS to run full speed fan on reference card, you can always apply the same mod to the standard 37 SC bios, located at the same location - EVGA Forum firmware update.

Its because the ACX fans at 50% run at a lower RPM than the fan on a reference card at the same %. If svl7 increased the limit (for people with reference cards) to 130-135% that should give us the full RPM of our fan.

130% doesn't make any sense for a PWM controlled fan..

Ok, the ACX fans run at lower RPM at any percentage, When I use the ACX BIOS on my REFERENCE card I lose 1000RPM at 100%. So an extra 30% will add 990 RPM and bring a REFERENCE cards fan up to what the RPM should be at 100%

• Founder

From what I can tell these guys are running ACX vbios on a reference 780 due to quieter fan operation and want a higher maximum so that when under load, it can reach the full RPM of their reference blower.

• Founder
One thing you have to consider is the price, you already known another think you don't know is all the benchs a did was with 3570k stock clocks with intel stock cooler. Right now I'm running a shoebox :) . So my rig is down for complete. So by this weekend I goibg to put my hole back "I wish I can finish it" but at least my acx going under water on hydro's it will be here friday and I'm waiting on my third rad to arrive too. Even if I don't finish my rig my 3570k and my 780's will be under water for some serius bench and by that svl7 will realese another beast bios and I will be right behind you ;)

Oh I know, that's why I mentioned NVIDIA ripping off Titan owners like me :D But mine are on air also with a stock blower so that's a disadvantage vs ACX cooler.

From what I can tell these guys are running ACX vbios on a reference 780 due to quieter fan operation and want a higher maximum so that when under load, it can reach the full RPM of their reference blower.

No, I'm running it because I wanted to test it. sKyn3t gained higher clocks with it although the BIOS's are the same apart from compatibility fixes I thought I'd give it a shot. If I wanted quieter fan operation I would change my fan curve alas I don't and will not.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I know, that's why I mentioned NVIDIA ripping off Titan owners like me :D But mine are on air also with a stock blower so that's a disadvantage vs ACX cooler.

Not really, These cards (GTX 780 and Titan) are voltage limited, you could throw your card under water and at best will gain 1 speed bin i.e.13MHz. The only way is to remove that limit i.e. hardware mod.

• Founder
No, I'm running it because I wanted to test it. sKyn3t gained higher clocks with it although the BIOS's are the same apart from compatibility fixes I thought I'd give it a shot. If I wanted quieter fan operation I would change my fan curve alas I don't and will not.

Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, These cards (GTX 780 and Titan) are voltage limited, you could throw your card under water and at best will gain 1 speed bin i.e.13MHz. The only way is to remove that limit i.e. hardware mod.

That's true to a certain extent. You are forgetting to take into account that less heat is spread out to the VRM's by going to water or even better air cooler so it does result in higher overclocks and stability - many Titan owners have discovered this and went from say 1202 to 1230+ overclocks with an unlocked vbios - not a huge gain but at those frequencies 2 steps higher can give the edge in a benchmark contest. With my Titans for example, if I shut down my case fans and purposely restrict air flow by reducing the GPU fan as well, my max overclock drops by 2 steps (26 MHz) and the cards barely make it through a benchmark run stable. Conversely, keeping the voltage the same, if I push the case fans + GPU fan to 100% I can raise the max OC by 26+ MHz and it is also much more stable.

Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

That's true to a certain extent. You are forgetting to take into account that less heat is spread out to the VRM's by going to water or even better air cooler so it does result in higher overclocks and stability - many Titan owners have discovered this and went from say 1202 to 1230+ overclocks with an unlocked vbios - not a huge gain but at those frequencies 2 steps higher can give the edge in a benchmark contest. With my Titans for example, if I shut down my case fans and purposely restrict air flow by reducing the GPU fan as well, my max overclock drops by 2 steps (26 MHz) and the cards barely make it through a benchmark run stable. Conversely, keeping the voltage the same, if I push the case fans + GPU fan to 100% I can raise the max OC by 26+ MHz and it is also much more stable.

I assume this is only in becnhmarks.

You ACX guys can try this version if you want, I can't test it myself as I don't have an ACX respectively a 780.

Check the fan RPM when you set the fan to minimum and also when you set it to the max and please report back.

Hi,

I flashed it just to test ref.card and there's no change compared to EVGA 780 - SC ACX - 80.10.37.00.0B - 'OC edition v00'.zip

40% fan = 1300-1333 RPM

100% fan = 3250-3300 RPM

• Founder
Anyone else have a bad overclocking card? Mine is only Stable at 1008Mhz core but the memory does go up to 1750Mhz stable. My card only volts up to 1.2v hoping with this bios I can at least reach 1050Mhz.

Does your core go higher if you keep memory at base?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Does your core go higher if you keep memory at base?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Before touching the memory I tried raising the core clock, I can easily benchmark with higher clocks but playing any games I can't push it any higher.

Before touching the memory I tried raising the core clock, I can easily benchmark with higher clocks but playing any games I can't push it any higher.

Does enabling k-boost (if you are using Precision) help the core clock at all or no?

Sadly it does not, I tried leaving the memory at 1502 and just pushing the Core clock before touching the memory.

One of mine does about 1100~1130ish and the other does about 1070. Like yourself, the memory on both are pretty good clocks too.

I don't know how stable others are at 1200, but mine definitely can't do that much.

Does enabling k-boost (if you are using Precision) help the core clock at all or no?

Haven't tried let me try it now, the thing that upsets me is that I am running water with an EK XXL block and the card only reaches 42C at max load when gaming.