IdeaPad Y500 BIOS Mods (overvolting, overclocked out of the box)

jester_socom

I think I'm going to go back to the SVL7 unlocked BIOS without the voltage mod. For whatever reason, my system is very unstable (the BSOD on waking/shutting down problem) whenever I have the card overclocked, no matter how tame the clocks are (even at 1100 Mhz, stable on stock voltage). I'm assuming this has something to do with the card not liking operating at 1.1V, ot just something else in the BIOS...

What power supply are you using? 120w or 170w?

I'm using the standard (120w) power brick. But it's only a single gpu setup, so I can't imagine it's drawing too much power...

Yes, that is odd. I thought maybe you were running SLI with the 120w.

I have a question... Bios v2.03/2.04 only for GT 750M users or not?

correct me if i am wrong, v2.02 is the most updated bios that you can get with the y500s with the gt650 and not sure that if the v2.03/2.04 is really is for the gt 750

I'm using the standard (120w) power brick. But it's only a single gpu setup, so I can't imagine it's drawing too much power...

Just go measure how much power you draw from the wall. I don't think it has anything to do with that.

If it were your battery would be draining at the same time you are playing games. At least that's what I read from other users.

Yeah sure.

If you have a i7 make sure to run prime95 while overclocking and monitor power consumption.

I have read reports that when overclocking too far battery starts to drain. 1000-1200mhz should be fine.

I would personally do 1100 max for daily usage.

If you turn off turbo boost you can overclock further. It's a 20C difference :P With a i7 probably 30C going from 2.1 to 3.1 compared to 2.5 to 2.9 on my i5

Trust me turning off turbo boost can help greatly with gaming comfortably. You will maybe have few fps less on games like Planetside 2 or ArmA 3.

This is just how I prefer to play games. Most will disagree on these forums. You choose how you play. Remember that :)

Yeah sure.

If you have a i7 make sure to run prime95 while overclocking and monitor power consumption.

I have read reports that when overclocking too far battery starts to drain. 1000-1200mhz should be fine.

I would personally do 1100 max for daily usage.

If you turn off turbo boost you can overclock further. It's a 20C difference :P With a i7 probably 30C going from 2.1 to 3.1 compared to 2.5 to 2.9 on my i5

Trust me turning off turbo boost can help greatly with gaming comfortably. You will maybe have few fps less on games like Planetside 2 or ArmA 3.

This is just how I prefer to play games. Most will disagree on these forums. You choose how you play. Remember that :)

ok jester explain to me how that works

how will lowering your fps via turbo boost make gaming more comfortable

are you talking about the 20c to 30c less heat you will feel on your hands

Just an update in case anybody was wondering:

I switched back to the SVL7 2.02 bios, and still got BSOD errors when the gpu was overclocked with .bat files. I then updated to the new drivers, and the crashes seem to have stopped. Therefore, it was likely not a problem with the BIOS specifically, but the display drivers messing things up in the previous version.

- - - Updated - - -

ok jester explain to me how that works

how will lowering your fps via turbo boost make gaming more comfortable

are you talking about the 20c to 30c less heat you will feel on your hands

I think what he means is disabling turbo boost will significantly cut down your temperatures. Same goes for using throttlestop to lock the core speeds above the regular 2.1Ghz nominal speed (to say... 2.4Ghz), it's still a lot cooer than letting the system boost up to 3.2Ghz. The loss in CPU power wont be noticed in any games, I'm fairly certain you wouldn't see a significant fps drop. OTOH, this would allow you to further overclock the gpu before reaching critical temperatures, thereby increasing your overall performance/framerates. You don't really lose anything by scaling down the CPU speeds, and gain more overclocking headroom for the gpu.

Just an update in case anybody was wondering:

I switched back to the SVL7 2.02 bios, and still got BSOD errors when the gpu was overclocked with .bat files. I then updated to the new drivers, and the crashes seem to have stopped. Therefore, it was likely not a problem with the BIOS specifically, but the display drivers messing things up in the previous version.

- - - Updated - - -

I think what he means is disabling turbo boost will significantly cut down your temperatures. Same goes for using throttlestop to lock the core speeds above the regular 2.1Ghz nominal speed (to say... 2.4Ghz), it's still a lot cooer than letting the system boost up to 3.2Ghz. The loss in CPU power wont be noticed in any games, I'm fairly certain you wouldn't see a significant fps drop. OTOH, this would allow you to further overclock the gpu before reaching critical temperatures, thereby increasing your overall performance/framerates. You don't really lose anything by scaling down the CPU speeds, and gain more overclocking headroom for the gpu.

Which drivers did you have problems with and which one fixed the problems? I'm still on 314.22 WHQL because the entire R319 branch (320.XX) have been absolutely horrendous for me. I've been getting all sorts of random glitches and bugs that I didn't have before, but thankfully nothing major, like BSOD's or dying GPU. Yes, that's actually a thing with these new drivers, a lot of people have reported that 320.18 WHQL killed their GPU after installation. The Internet forums have been blowing up with this and many other horror stories so I am staying away from this branch.

How much FPS you lose when you disable Turbo Boost really depends on the game and your GPU. The faster your GPU, the faster your CPU needs to be in order to keep up and not bottleneck it. Disabling Turbo Boost may not bottleneck a single stock 650M much, since the GPU is the limiting factor in most games, but it probably will hurt performance and SLI scaling with overclocked and overvolted 750M SLI. For something very GPU-bound like Metro 2033 you could probably disable Turbo along with two cores (on an i7) and still get roughly the same performance. However, do the same in PlanetSide 2 or BF3 and you will cripple performance. PS2 is all about single-threaded performance (more megahertz) while BF3 is all about more cores, more cache, and more megahertz (it scales up to 6 cores and as much MHz as you can give it). I wouldn't be surprised if your BF3 FPS doubled going from a mobile i5 to i7. Thankfully, my CPU thermal issues are behind me now that I've repasted my machine, so I can run my i7 at full speed using ThrottleStop without worries. It still gets murdered by BF3 at times, but I'm happy knowing that I'm getting the full performance I paid for. A while ago I tested out the effects of Turbo Boost in 64-player matches on CPU-heavy maps and turning it on raised my minimums by 10-15 FPS so it definitely helps in certain cases.

Which drivers did you have problems with and which one fixed the problems? I'm still on 314.22 WHQL because the entire R319 branch (320.XX) have been absolutely horrendous for me. I've been getting all sorts of random glitches and bugs that I didn't have before, but thankfully nothing major, like BSOD's or dying GPU. Yes, that's actually a thing with these new drivers, a lot of people have reported that 320.18 WHQL killed their GPU after installation. The Internet forums have been blowing up with this and many other horror stories so I am staying away from this branch.

How much FPS you lose when you disable Turbo Boost really depends on the game and your GPU. The faster your GPU, the faster your CPU needs to be in order to keep up and not bottleneck it. Disabling Turbo Boost may not bottleneck a single stock 650M much, since the GPU is the limiting factor in most games, but it probably will hurt performance and SLI scaling with overclocked and overvolted 750M SLI. For something very GPU-bound like Metro 2033 you could probably disable Turbo along with two cores (on an i7) and still get roughly the same performance. However, do the same in PlanetSide 2 or BF3 and you will cripple performance. PS2 is all about single-threaded performance (more megahertz) while BF3 is all about more cores, more cache, and more megahertz (it scales up to 6 cores and as much MHz as you can give it). I wouldn't be surprised if your BF3 FPS doubled going from a mobile i5 to i7. Thankfully, my CPU thermal issues are behind me now that I've repasted my machine, so I can run my i7 at full speed using ThrottleStop without worries. It still gets murdered by BF3 at times, but I'm happy knowing that I'm getting the full performance I paid for. A while ago I tested out the effects of Turbo Boost in 64-player matches on CPU-heavy maps and turning it on raised my minimums by 10-15 FPS so it definitely helps in certain cases.

Those who flash 1.1v bios mods for ultra bay, does your GPU-Z give you wrong readings? I get 1250 Memory readings but I only clock 1100 for it.

Yeah it does that on stock vBIOS too. The main GPU is fine though.

What sort of heat influx should an user expect when attempting an auto OC? Have you experienced any noticeable heat problems? And how about the temperatures? How do they compare from stock to OC? Thanks for the post!

Need main bios and ultrabay bios for Y500 with GeForce 650M overvolted to 1.15 or 1.25v. Can anyone help? :)

With vBios 1.1v my results is 1178Mhz for GPU Core, and 2638Mhz for Memory (It's Stable clocks), i want to try more, but i need to increase voltage :(

Need main bios and ultrabay bios for Y500 with GeForce 650M overvolted to 1.15 or 1.25v. Can anyone help? :)

With vBios 1.1v my results is 1178Mhz for GPU Core, and 2638Mhz for Memory (It's Stable clocks), i want to try more, but i need to increase voltage :(

1.25 is probably too high, but your card may be able to handle 1.15. Just use svl7's modded 2.04 BIOS and Ultrabay vBIOS in the sticky. It unlocks software voltage control so you can just adjust the voltage sliders in Nvidia Inspector.

I think you will run out of the power of adapter.

What sort of heat influx should an user expect when attempting an auto OC? Have you experienced any noticeable heat problems? And how about the temperatures? How do they compare from stock to OC? Thanks for the post!

I barely see any difference from the usual clocks. Reaches about 80C at worst for me when gaming BF3 but haven't tried any GPU stress tests. It seems like this card is just insanely under-clocked out of factory

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the hard work on this vbios rom, people have noticed that the 2.04 SLV7 Rom Nvidia inspector lets you over volt your cards. However GPUZ dose not indicate and increase in voltage at all so i dont think that works so thanks from me.

svl7 mentioned that the voltage change doesn't always "kick in" and may have a wrong offset. Basically slide the slider in steps of one, apply the voltage change and see if there's a change in the reported voltage. If not, move the slider one more step, and read voltage. Once you see a change in voltage you know the offset of the slider. GPU-z/Inspector should report correct voltages at all time.

I'm so sorry to ask this here but...

I have my ultrabay 650m flashed and it is reporting the 1.1v

But, i cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to flash the main GPU. I have an older whitelist flash from SLV7 but it doesn't let me change the voltages. Its v2.02 but it won't take the flash or anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do i just use nvlash on the main gpu as well?

I'm so sorry to ask this here but...

I have my ultrabay 650m flashed and it is reporting the 1.1v

But, i cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to flash the main GPU. I have an older whitelist flash from SLV7 but it doesn't let me change the voltages. Its v2.02 but it won't take the flash or anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do i just use nvlash on the main gpu as well?

You can flash main bios with increased voltage. Main bios contains GPU0 bios. GPU1 bios (Ultrabay) is separate and you must flash it with nvflash.

And.... You can flash bios v2.04 (you can patch your 2.02 bios file to upgrade it to 2.04) and modified Ultrabay bios for software vbios editing (watch it on screenshot)

software_bios.1374097515.jpg

I haven't been keeping up with the other threads, but would you happen to know whether an Ultrabay analogue exists alongside it? More flexibility with voltmodding might be the impetus I need to finally get this machine off 2.02.