IdeaPad Y500 BIOS Mods (overvolting, overclocked out of the box)

jester_socom

It is possible yes, but if you guys can convince svl7. My mods are based on svl7's work. Which means that he disabled GPU Boost so the voltage doesn't scale as well.

500-series of nvidia and those before that were ridiculously easy to modify. Kepler is a real pain. They use a nasty way to hide things.

eg: when a limit is set in the vbios at 790mhz, you find it in the vbios as 790000000 or 790000. At least this is the case with 500 series and before that of nvidia. Now it's like they have a clocktable and 790mhz is at step 27 of the clock table, which translates into (1B)h in hexadecimal. And still when I modify all these things my stock overclocked VBIOS is still not working despite all my efforts.

I know for sure svl7 has the solution for this. He knows what I have to do I think.

I can try finding it, but it can take a while.

Hi jester_socom, I moded both my Bios & vBios using your standard mod (no voltage & no mem) and they are working great on 310.90.

However when I installed latest nVidia driver 320.18 I get very jerky/choppy videos running Counterstrike, Left 4 Dead 2, 3Dmark, etc. in SLI mode. If I disable SLI it's ok.

Any advice?

---------------------------------------

The 310.90 only worked for a while. I logout of steam and signed on to another account and the choppy/jerky video (SLI) returned. Rebooting doesn't help and turning off SLI solved the problem!

The "jerkiness" also happen on the intro video (which is running at 24 fps by default). Doesn't happen when viewing videos, or running Heaven Benchmark 4.0) thou. It seems that the 2 GPU are somehow not in sync...

Can anyone advice on this? I tried searching on the web but no help. I bought the Y500 solely for the SLI and it's frustrating to run on single 650m only. Thx.

Just found out from another forum that Y500 SLI doesn't work properly with Valve games.

Only workaround is to go to your Steam Library, right click on the Source Game and choose "Properties". Go to "Set Launch Options". In that box, put the following:

-windowed -noborder +fps_max 60

Finally solved after doing above!

It is possible yes, but if you guys can convince svl7. My mods are based on svl7's work. Which means that he disabled GPU Boost so the voltage doesn't scale as well.

500-series of nvidia and those before that were ridiculously easy to modify. Kepler is a real pain. They use a nasty way to hide things.

eg: when a limit is set in the vbios at 790mhz, you find it in the vbios as 790000000 or 790000. At least this is the case with 500 series and before that of nvidia. Now it's like they have a clocktable and 790mhz is at step 27 of the clock table, which translates into (1B)h in hexadecimal. And still when I modify all these things my stock overclocked VBIOS is still not working despite all my efforts.

I know for sure svl7 has the solution for this. He knows what I have to do I think.

I can try finding it, but it can take a while.

i got it now! i changed the clocks of my 660m of the Y580 in the vBIOS! and it's working!

but i can't change the voltage of my card for some reason :/

i can try to change the clocks of your 650m, if you want!

*Jester, i sent you a pm with a vbios 1,2 ghz core for testing.

i got it now! i changed the clocks of my 660m of the Y580 in the vBIOS! and it's working!

but i can't change the voltage of my card for some reason :/

i can try to change the clocks of your 650m, if you want!

*Jester, i sent you a pm with a vbios 1,2 ghz core for testing.

I noticed your PM, however you did not include a attachment. Can you resend your PM with the attachment? Really looking forward!

Also I would be happy to know what you exactly did on the 660M. Maybe we can write it down in a tutorial as a reference for future modders.

haha, forgot the link xD sorry... i resended you the pm

at first you have to find the lines in the vBIOS for the clock-table...

this is how it looks like in the vBIOS of my GTX 660m

post-10385-14494995405583_thumb.png

e.g. the lines with the yellow backround are the ones i had to change for overclocking...

as you can see, is ''28 0A'' my new core clock. 1300 mhz.

damn, i needed so much time to find that out :D

*and no, you can't change the clocks with the Kepler BIOS tweaker, sadly...

because it doesn't take effect to the clock table... and you only can change the clocks of the new kepler's by changing the clock table

You said that there is currently no support for the 750m. Are there any plans in the future to support them? And if so, is there an approximate date we can expect it by?

21st of June - 1st of July

I have university exams. I hope you understand, I will start modding again when they are done.

Thanks to schranzmaster you can expect more. ;)

Guys I have released the ECO series for the 650M. Which increase and decrease core clocks and voltages when needed. Use these if you do not want to overclock using software. These mods cannot be overclocked using software. These mods are not based on svl7's mods, they are based on stock vbios.

This mod will feature a 1GHz core clock for the 650M and 2500MHz for the memory.

The 750M may follow in three or or four weeks. I hope you understand I have exams which I have to succeed in university.

Thank you schranzmaster for your help!

Tell your friends, bring them to techinferno!

Flashing instructions are found in svl7's pinned thread. I do not give support on flashing. Everything you need is there, read it thoroughly ;)! Don't forget to backup your original BIOS as it contains your Windows 8 serial key and Lenovo S/N

eco_v202_650m_1000C_1250M.zip

Guys I have released the ECO series for the 650M. Which increase and decrease core clocks and voltages when needed. Use these if you do not want to overclock using software. These mods cannot be overclocked using software. These mods are not based on svl7's mods, they are based on stock vbios.

This mod will feature a 1GHz core clock for the 650M and 2500MHz for the memory.

The 750M may follow in three or or four weeks. I hope you understand I have exams which I have to succeed in university.

Thank you schranzmaster for your help!

Tell your friends, bring them to techinferno!

Flashing instructions are found in svl7's pinned thread. I do not give support on flashing. Everything you need is there, read it thoroughly ;)! Don't forget to backup your original BIOS as it contains your Windows 8 serial key and Lenovo S/N

Wait, why doesn't it let you use software? Is it a locked version?

Wait, why doesn't it let you use software? Is it a locked version?

The ECO version is locked yes. You can still overclock the memory though I think.

My point is that if you want to do a massive overclock, you dont want the dynamic voltages if you go 1200mhz or higher. 1200MHz is a 53% overclock. Which is self-destructive anyway in my opinion.

The ECO mod gives you a nice 25% boost on the core and on the memory and doesn't ruin the card by running 1.1v or 1.025v all the time.

If you want massive overclocks go with the first versions I released. I use the ECO versions as a preference for myself.

This might be the dumbest question in the world, but the files for flashing in the tutorial say they're supposed to be .bin, but they can be a .rom right? and the I can flash your v202_11mv_mem before I do the vbios right? It wont screw anything up if I dont do the vbios at the same time will it?

This might be the dumbest question in the world, but the files for flashing in the tutorial say they're supposed to be .bin, but they can be a .rom right? and the I can flash your v202_11mv_mem before I do the vbios right? It wont screw anything up if I dont do the vbios at the same time will it?

Just rename the extension from bin to rom or from rom to bin if it refuses to flash.It doesn't matter ;)

By the way guys, is 3850 and 3920 a normal score for 3DMark 11 Demo at 1GHz and 2500mhz memory ?

I got the i5 model so it's hard to say.

Just rename the extension from bin to rom or from rom to bin if it refuses to flash.It doesn't matter ;)

By the way guys, is 3850 and 3920 a normal score for 3DMark 11 Demo at 1GHz and 2500mhz memory ?

I got the i5 model so it's hard to say.

You could probably get more if you fine-tune the overclock. But that requires a lot of patience. Try running Uningine Heaven 4 and compare to mine (http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-71.html#post51532). For gaming I run it a few MHz lower for more stability. In Metro Last Light I can run Very High, normal tesselation, advanced Phsyx off with average 40fps, vsync-ed. My stable max gaming setting is 1256MHz on core, and 2780 MHz on VRAM. Temp stays below 80C even in most games. Highest temp I have seen after running dozens of Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark was about 88C on both GPU.

By the way, what's the ECO version for? Even with svl7's mod, dynamic clocking still works, it just boost much higher, without temperature limit (depends on your setting in Nvid Inspector). I found out that setting a temp target make it less unstable, so I don't have it on.

You could probably get more if you fine-tune the overclock. But that requires a lot of patience. Try running Uningine Heaven 4 and compare to mine (http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-71.html#post51532). For gaming I run it a few MHz lower for more stability. In Metro Last Light I can run Very High, normal tesselation, advanced Phsyx off with average 40fps, vsync-ed. My stable max gaming setting is 1256MHz on core, and 2780 MHz on VRAM. Temp stays below 80C even in most games. Highest temp I have seen after running dozens of Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark was about 88C on both GPU.

By the way, what's the ECO version for? Even with svl7's mod, dynamic clocking still works, it just boost much higher, without temperature limit (depends on your setting in Nvid Inspector). I found out that setting a temp target make it less unstable, so I don't have it on.

I think svl7s version works differently. It doesnt reduce voltage when not needed

It does. When idling, it goes back to lowest P8 state (0.831V) even if I try to force a P state.

But this is better, no? No need to run the highest voltage and performance state when you're not gaming. Would increase battery life as well.

I errored. Your first versions do scale down the voltage at lower clocks/p-states. I must've been drunk when I first examined it, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! The most stable one I can get with my single 650m about 1205 core, 2450 memory. For MLL I have everything turned up in the game settings, except AA is off and physx on, and that gets me between 30 and 60fps with the new drivers. The first time I tried to run the game it cooked my cpu, had it going up to 106 according to HW monitor :/. After that, I use throttlestop to turn off the turbo boost state while playing it. In fact, I'm doing it for all games, since gpu is still far more of a bottleneck than an i7 cpu. Running at 2.4Ghz for any game gives you power to spare, and keeps the temps around 85 or below even while playing Metro (vs. 95+ for most games with the GPU overvolt). GPU stays at 78~80 or below.

For some reason my ultrabay GPU keeps saying its at 925v... and my temps get up to about 88-90c when gaming. Did I do something horribly wrong lol? or do I have to change some settings in the bios to get the ultrabay up to 1100?

Edit: Nvm, I just restarted it and it's at 1100 now.... but Im still getting rediculous temps

For some reason my ultrabay GPU keeps saying its at 925v... and my temps get up to about 88-90c when gaming. Did I do something horribly wrong lol? or do I have to change some settings in the bios to get the ultrabay up to 1100?

Edit: Nvm, I just restarted it and it's at 1100 now.... but Im still getting rediculous temps

Well you are overvolting so that has something to do with it. Have you tried seeing if you can get 1100 MHz on the core with stock voltage? I could run 1120 Mhz on stock voltage stable 24/7 and neither of my GPU's exceeded 80C.

Flash svl7's mod for the BIOs, and additionally the Ultrabay vBIOS if you have SLI. Sticky at the top of the Lenovo section.

Or you can use the stock voltage ones provided by jester_socom on the first page of this thread. I'm pretty sure they're the exact same thing since he based the overvolt mod on svl7's work.

You'll probably find that you cannot get as high on the core with stock voltage as you can with increased voltage. Whether the trade-off in heat is worth it is up to you. It seems I got a good GPU so I was able to get pretty high without overvolting. It really depends on the luck of the draw.

Flash svl7's mod for the BIOs, and additionally the Ultrabay vBIOS if you have SLI. Sticky at the top of the Lenovo section.

Or you can use the stock voltage ones provided by jester_socom on the first page of this thread. I'm pretty sure they're the exact same thing since he based the overvolt mod on svl7's work.

You'll probably find that you cannot get as high on the core with stock voltage as you can with increased voltage. Whether the trade-off in heat is worth it is up to you. It seems I got a good GPU so I was able to get pretty high without overvolting. It really depends on the luck of the draw.

Okay, that makes a ton more sense, thanks man! I'm probably going to try and see how it runs on stock volts tommorow. All that bios flashing stuff confused the hell out of me at first but it really isn't all that bad now that I've done it once.

If you hesitate go with svl7s work.

Version 1 is based on his mod.

ECO is all my work and the only difference is that you cannot overclock with this one I believe. And this is an attempt to restore kepler boost and overclock the vbios out of the box like it was meant to be in my opinion.

99% of all people may want svl7s mod or the 1.1v version i made.

I did some benchmarks and it seems i7 users are scoring a lot more points in 3Dmark. While i am lagging behind with 300-500 points