IdeaPad Y500 BIOS Mods (overvolting, overclocked out of the box)

jester_socom

At max load, with CPU fully un-throttled (running at close to 56W, 53W on mine), and both GPU running at max load at 1.15V at 1250MHz, the 170W power supply DOES NOT provide enough power for the laptop.

I have problems with the battery started discharging halfway when I am running benchmark (small FFT prime95 + Uningine Heaven). Even when playing Bioshock Infinite I had this problem. Have you seen before, negative charge rate on the battery because the laptop was sucking so much power from the power supply that it started sucking power from battery.

Yeah....so now I have to find a 220W power supply just so I won't run out of juice. I can get the Sager 220W power supply, and with an adapter it should work fine on the Y500.

- - - Updated - - -

For those who are running ThrottleStop and running full boost, without any modification to the power limit in TS or BIOS just note that the CPU is pulling close to 53-54W at full load. And if you have your GPU overvolted and overclocked, at full CPU n GPU load you will probably run into the same problem as me. Each GPU is rated at 45W, but overvolted they probably eat more than 50W. So, 56+50+50 is 156W. Assuming the PSU has 5% loss, providing about 160W of power, you will see that juice is running out fast.

And UncleWebb, the power clamping feature in TS works. The 3630qm only lets me drop the power to 36W at its lowest though. With full load, 36W lets the CPU runs at 2.6GHz. At 45W, full load the CPU runs at 2.9GHz. At about 53W, the CPU boost fully up to 3.2GHz.

What game are you playing? I'm not aware of any game named Prime95.

You get my point, sarcasm notwithstanding. No game, video rendering, or graphics rendering workload is going it work your CPU like Prime95. The CPU doesn't draw anywhere close to 45 W in the most CPU-demanding game, and given the lackluster cooling system, it would probably shut down if it sustained a workload close to TDP while the GPU's are also fully loaded. In Prime95, the i7-3630QM only draws over 45 W for a short period of time before throttling back the clock speed to maintain TDP. The duration of time before that happens is set by the Long Duration PWR Limit in the BIOS and the highest it goes is 56 seconds.

When I play Battlefield 3 all cores are running at 3.2 GHz, power consumption is 30-35W, and the temperatures get to almost 100C. I would reckon that's more of a realistic scenario.

So I think the 170W adapter being inadequate to power the system is overblown for practical, real-world workloads. You could save on heat and power consumption by not overvolting 750M as well. I'd be surprised if it can't hit at least 1250 MHz on stock voltage.

What game are you playing? I'm not aware of any game named Prime95.

You get my point, sarcasm notwithstanding. No game, video rendering, or graphics rendering workload is going it work your CPU like Prime95. The CPU doesn't draw anywhere close to 45 W in the most CPU-demanding game, and given the lackluster cooling system, it would probably shut down if it sustained a workload close to TDP while the GPU's are also fully loaded. In Prime95, the i7-3630QM only draws over 45 W for a short period of time before throttling back the clock speed to maintain TDP. The duration of time before that happens is set by the Long Duration PWR Limit in the BIOS and the highest it goes is 56 seconds.

When I play Battlefield 3 all cores are running at 3.2 GHz, power consumption is 30-35W, and the temperatures get to almost 100C. I would reckon that's more of a realistic scenario.

So I think the 170W adapter being inadequate to power the system is overblown for practical, real-world workloads. You could save on heat and power consumption by not overvolting 750M as well. I'd be surprised if it can't hit at least 1250 MHz on stock voltage.

I didn't say the Prime95 is a game. The games I played is what I said 2 posts above, Bioshock Infinite. The GT750m cannot hit 1250MHz on stock voltage. Stock voltage goes up to 1.125V. My voltages are about 50-75mV higher than that.

There are workload that will make the laptop pull too much power. Trying running Folding@Home or Seti@Home and you will see what I mean. Perhaps GT650M in SLI take less power at full load than the GT750M.

The power it pulls depends on how you set the Short Duration Power Limit and Long Duration Power Limit. At full load, without setting Long Duration Power Limit to at least 53W you will not get 3.2GHz full boost.

The Dell power supply is half the size and weight of the Lenovo stock adapter so I am just doing myself a favor.

I didn't say the Prime95 is a game. The games I played is what I said 2 posts above, Bioshock Infinite. The GT750m cannot hit 1250MHz on stock voltage. Stock voltage goes up to 1.125V. My voltages are about 50-75mV higher than that.

There are workload that will make the laptop pull too much power. Trying running Folding@Home or Seti@Home and you will see what I mean. Perhaps GT650M in SLI take less power at full load than the GT750M.

The power it pulls depends on how you set the Short Duration Power Limit and Long Duration Power Limit. At full load, without setting Long Duration Power Limit to at least 53W you will not get 3.2GHz full boost.

The Dell power supply is half the size and weight of the Lenovo stock adapter so I am just doing myself a favor.

Interesting. So I take it voltage control works for the 750M using Nvidia Inspector? It's grayed out for the 650M.

Folding and SETI aren't normal workloads for a mobile consumer CPU inside a cramped chassis with inadequate cooling, so all of that is to be expected.

Interesting. So I take it voltage control works for the 750M using Nvidia Inspector? It's grayed out for the 650M.

Folding and SETI aren't normal workloads for a mobile consumer CPU inside a cramped chassis with inadequate cooling, so all of that is to be expected.

The voltage control works for me. I run Nvidia Inspector by putting all the clock and voltage offsets into a .bat file, then use Task Scheduler to run the .bat file.

Awesome! Can't believe I didn't see this til today. I flashed my 650m with the basic 1.1 overvolt bios. Increased the core clock to about 1230 which passed 3dmark with the result below. However, it wasn't furmark stable. about halfway through the gpu hit 87 degrees and started to throttle down. Soon after, furmark and the gpu crashed, lol. I'm guessing 1210 is more the stability limit, which is still about 10% higher in core speed and benchmark performance. I've heard of most 750m ownersm overclocking to around 1250, and have heard of 650m owners doing over 1300 on other systems. I imagine the 750m owners have the slightest advantage there with an extra .03 volts (1.13 max). It seems to me that the performance scales linearly with the core clock increases, which is surprising, but the power consumption increases much faster as you up the core clock.

post-11952-14494995332502_thumb.jpg

File names are quite confusing a bit . But can you people help me which is the file with stock memory clocks and 1.1 overvolted gpu for single gt650m?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

File names are quite confusing a bit . But can you people help me which is the file with stock memory clocks and 1.1 overvolted gpu for single gt650m?

If the file name contains the 'mem' tag or '2500mem' or something similar that means the memory is overclocked.

The ones without dont have overclocked memory.

Watch out though with ocing. At 1100mhz core and 2500 memory im already using 150w from the wall at peak moments with my i5- 3210m running prime 95 at the same time. Most of the time i sit around 110-120 w

• Thumbs Up 1

If the file name contains the 'mem' tag or '2500mem' or something similar that means the memory is overclocked.

The ones without dont have overclocked memory.

Watch out though with ocing. At 1100mhz core and 2500 memory im already using 150w from the wall at peak moments with my i5- 3210m running prime 95 at the same time. Most of the time i sit around 110-120 w

Can i overclock my own with files doesnt have tags with mem or 2500mem

I wish to have overvolt and my custom clocks

Which file should i flash bro?

Sorry for xtra noobism :D

The unlocked BIOS.

I upgraded to the modded version of v2.02 BIOS but haven't yet touched the BIOS of my GPUs.. Will I have to modify the BIOS of each GPU to ensure I get the clocks I want? I would really rather not mod my BIOS of each card compared to being able to change the clocks on-demand through software.. do I have other options or is BIOS the only way to max out clock speeds?

I upgraded to the modded version of v2.02 BIOS but haven't yet touched the BIOS of my GPUs.. Will I have to modify the BIOS of each GPU to ensure I get the clocks I want? I would really rather not mod my BIOS of each card compared to being able to change the clocks on-demand through software.. do I have other options or is BIOS the only way to max out clock speeds?

The bios contains the vbios of your builtin gt650m the sli ultrabay has a separate vbios. Read the pinned thread by svl7.

Redlion i wouldnt turn off the throttling. Someone's gpu already died of running too hot too often overclocked together with throttlestop forcing turbo boost.

I am going to make a undervolt bios that is still able to overclock to the official limit.

Watch out with your oc speed

The bios contains the vbios of your builtin gt650m the sli ultrabay has a separate vbios. Read the pinned thread by svl7.

Redlion i wouldnt turn off the throttling. Someone's gpu already died of running too hot too often overclocked together with throttlestop forcing turbo boost.

I am going to make a undervolt bios that is still able to overclock to the official limit.

Watch out with your oc speed

I'm the person he's referring to "whose GPU already died of running too hot blah blah blah." Don't this listen to him. I don't know why he apparently loves sticking his nose in other people's business.

According to this, I should then be able to at least go above 925 on my main 650m correct? That however is not the case. I have already modded the 2.02 BIOS w/ svl7's pinned thread.

Hi jester_socom, what is the difference between your mod & svl7? I am looking to oc my 650m SLI only and don't really need the wlan whitelist removal. Thanks in advance.

alongside the wlan card whitelist you mentioned, svl7's bios mod also allowed overclocking the core of the internal GPU to above 925(?)Mhz. svl7 also released a separate download which unlocked the limit for the ultrabay 650m as well. However, I've read here that the new 320 drivers from Nvidia have unlocked the 925Mhz limit as well. It's worth noting that overclocking with this method may require the use of a program called Nvidiainspector (it's actually a really great program with a very small memory footprint, I highly recommend it regardless).

I still did the svl7 mod and ended up getting a new wlan card (because the centrino 2230 was terrible). I bought the centrino 6235, and honestly it hasn't been much better; in the end I just moved my router upstairs.

My mod has the corrected clocks reported. svl7s mod has something with the core clock not being reported correctly in nvidia inspector of gpu-z. But it appears to be reported correctly by the sensors. I made sure it is reported correctly at all times.

Then the question is do you really need to have it reported correctly? I say no. svl7's bios mod is completely fine. But if you like to have everything show up correctly mine might be better.

I have sent svl7 a private message I think explaining what I did to correct the clocks. So if he has time he might integrate it in his mod as well.

tehweelz: yes you should be able to go above 925mhz with svl7's mod or my mod. :)

How would you guys want undervolted 650M to 0.9v, 0.95v, 1.0v and a overvolted 1.2v?

Stock VBIOS has max load temps of 60C on my machine. With the 1.1v mod i get about 80C with the new max overclock.

What I am saying is let's overclock further with the unlocked vbios, but let's play safer with a lower voltage.

For the extreme people wanting to do extreme benchmarks the 1.2v should come in handy.

My mod has the corrected clocks reported. svl7s mod has something with the core clock not being reported correctly in nvidia inspector of gpu-z. But it appears to be reported correctly by the sensors. I made sure it is reported correctly at all times.

Then the question is do you really need to have it reported correctly? I say no. svl7's bios mod is completely fine. But if you like to have everything show up correctly mine might be better.

I have sent svl7 a private message I think explaining what I did to correct the clocks. So if he has time he might integrate it in his mod as well.

tehweelz: yes you should be able to go above 925mhz with svl7's mod or my mod. :)

How would you guys want undervolted 650M to 0.9v, 0.95v, 1.0v and a overvolted 1.2v?

Stock VBIOS has max load temps of 60C on my machine. With the 1.1v mod i get about 80C with the new max overclock.

What I am saying is let's overclock further with the unlocked vbios, but let's play safer with a lower voltage.

For the extreme people wanting to do extreme benchmarks the 1.2v should come in handy.

Is there no way to have the voltage scale up the way it does on the stock BIOS? I believe it should start low and go higher with higher core clocks. But on the modded one it stays constant.

Hey Jester first off thank you for these. I just wanted to let you know that you really don't to make an undervolted version, as you can undervolt your card by 12mv increments by increasing the P0 clock offsets (nvidiainspector), and locking the card to p5 state. You can have total voltage control, especially in conjunction with your increased voltages. So the ideal situation would be to flash the 1.1v version you posted, then adjust the base clock offsets to really have the card running at like 1.012v, 1.025v, or 1.037v as needed.

As an example, If anyone wants to try (on a stock voltage y500), here is my .bat file for nvidiainspector:

nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,400 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setGpuClock:0,1,1090 -setMemoryClock:0,1,2500 -setBaseClockOffset:1,0,400 -setMemoryClockOffset:1,0,500 -setGpuClock:1,1,1090 -setMemoryClock:1,1,2500 -forcepstate:0,5 -forcepstate:1,5

This will put you at 1090 core/2500 mem @ .975V (probably not gaming stable). See what I mean?

I just booted up mu y500 this morning and found an update to go from 314.22 to the new drivers which are 320.18. Has anyone tried this yet? Are their overclocked settings still working after updating?

I updated, and oc works just fine. Good boost for games too.

Awesome. Will check it out later. Heard it gives a good boost to MLL and I just started playing the game.

I started playing that too. The new drivers do help, along with the latest patches. Initially the game nearly fried my system (temps went up to 106 on the cpu), and scared the heck out of me, lol. That game is definitely demanding, but the updates have brought that down some. Still, it grasps for every bit of GPU power, and as such, I've used throttlestop to disable turbo boost, which keeps my cpu temps in the 80s at all times.