IdeaPad Y500 BIOS Mods (overvolting, overclocked out of the box)

jester_socom

Based upon svl7's work.This has stock overclocked BIOS (memory only) and/or overvolted out of the box.

Check the pictures for proof.

post-12784-14494995318171_thumb.png Integrated GT-650M

post-12784-1449499531839_thumb.png Ultrabay GT-650M

post-12784-1449499531862_thumb.png My maximum overclock (150MHz higher compared to stock voltage)

Features

• Correctly reported clocks in overclocking software like nvidia inspector: 790mhz instead of 835mhz.
  • See GT650M versions.

GT650M (Manual Overclocking)

These mods are meant to be used with Nvidia Inspector, EVGA Precision X, MSI Afterburner. Use these if you want to overclock yourself.

Credits given to svl7 for letting me use his mods as a base.

• stock
  • 1.1v
  • stock - memory 2500MHz
  • 1.1v - memory 2500MHz

GT650M ECO (Auto Overclocking)

This mod features Kepler Boost, and throttles when power is not needed. These are overclocked by themselves. (You do not need Nvidia Inspector, EVGA OC Scanner X or MSI Afterburner). Voltage is also dynamically increased or decreased. Don't worry, they are rock stable.

These mods are not based on svl7's work (except the unlocked BIOS menu's)

Credits given to schranzmaster for pointing out how to increase GT650M core clocks in the VBIOS.

Voltage at 790MHz is 1.025v and raises up to 1.1v at 1GHz. I did not touch voltages. This is simply how Kepler works.

KNOWN ISSUES/LIMITATIONS

All limitations have been beaten, thank you everyone for your help.

For now I do not support the 750M yet..

My GT650M vbios mods also have the correct clocks reported at 790mhz instead of 835mhz

@svl7: if you want you can merge my thread with yours if you feel the need for this.

Flashing instructions: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod.html

I do not give support regarding flashing the BIOS. If you want to flash this BIOS and you have questions regarding flashing ask in the thread I mentioned above and look for instructions there. There are all the tools you need.

The BIOS and vBIOS are tested by me.

At request of a user, a buy me a beer link:

Feel free to buy me a beer here. A part of the donation also goes to svl7, because without him there wouldn't be the base I worked with.

v202_1100mv.zip

v202_1100mv_mem.zip

v202_stock.zip

v202_stock_mem.zip

gt650m_ultrabay_v2.zip

• Thumbs Up 11

Absolutely brilliant, jester_socom. What voltage is the ultrabay GPU set to? Also, do you have a 'buy me a beer' link? :)

Edit: After extracting the ultrabay zip I see you've included all the voltage steps for it that you have made available for the system GPU.

Edit 2: Flashed the ultrabay first and it was successful, nVidia Inspector reports voltage at 1.1v despite having flashed the 1.215v version. Bug?

You should remove the versions with memory already overclocked to 2500 MHz. Not everyone can handle that high of a memory overclock and it's a bad idea to flash an overclock that your system can't actually achieve. Could cause all kinds of stability issues. And I'd reckon most people with the GT 650M can't go that high anyway, or they might think they can but aren't even aware of error-checking and re-transmission kicking in and reducing performance since GDDR5 is crash-resistant. Best to just have the increased voltages and leave the clocks at stock so people can test what works for their particular hardware.

Absolutely brilliant, jester_socom. What voltage is the ultrabay GPU set to? Also, do you have a 'buy me a beer' link? :)

Edit: After extracting the ultrabay zip I see you've included all the voltage steps for it that you have made available for the system GPU.

Edit 2: Flashed the ultrabay first and it was successful, nVidia Inspector reports voltage at 1.1v despite having flashed the 1.215v version. Bug?

I have put a beer link. In case you still want it.

I can confirm the bug. It looks like a limitation. It is possible that we cannot get any higher than 1.1v. Still 0.075v can make a difference. I remember from my GTX650 I could get 150mhz higher. I am going to take a deeper look into this by July. I first have some exams to do at university. But 1.1v is still a nice improvement of 0.075v

@Opticeps, I have made a remark on the memory mod. I will remove them soon. I'm waiting for people to report if 1.138v and 1.2v versions work. Then I can make the new download packages.

Flashed main BIOS with 1.2v. Confirmed flashable, but voltage at 1.1v. Testing 1250/500 and looking promising.

Sent you some beer money, jester. :)

Thank you! I will give a part to svl7 if you don't mind. Without him I didn't have a base to work with!

I will remove all mods higher than 1.1v, I suspect the others won't work as well.

I tested 1.1v, just flashed it. My clocks were 150mhz higher as expected..

I don't know if I should be happy or not. It's a +53% overclock on the core. I did not even reach 70C.

I am now going to work on a undervolted version of the GT650M. I am aiming for 0.9125v-0.95v which should be very realistic. I really have to do this stepwise in 0.0125v steps. And every time I see what my headroom is I have left. And I am going to stop at 100-150mhz difference max overclock <-> base clock. Maybe I can get the 2D clocks undervolted as well for power savings.

Great work Jester! Raised voltage to 1.1v on both MB and Ultrabay. Now I need a better power supply, my 120w PS is not cutting it anymore.

disable hyperthreading in the BIOS if you can. Or either disable turbo boost. See what helps best. It could be a good temporary solution until you get the new charger :) !

I Barely see a difference. Dont worry ;)

But what CPU temperature increase at load, for example in Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, 3DMark 11, or anything else that stresses CPU and GPU simultaneously. That's what is most concerning, not how hot the GPU gets, 'cause I'm sure that will be fine. I'm not happy at all with temperatures at stock voltage. This happened to me in Battlefield 3 today. :(

post-10698-14494995324502_thumb.png

It was only 75F (~24C) in my room today and I was using the cooling pad turned all the way up too. There's a lot of dust caked on the bottom where the fans are so there's probably a lot of buildup due to me benching almost non-stop for a week, but it's no excuse for how hot the CPU is getting.

post-10698-14494995324233_thumb.png

But what CPU temperature increase at load, for example in Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, 3DMark 11, or anything else that stresses CPU and GPU simultaneously. That's what is most concerning, not how hot the GPU gets, 'cause I'm sure that will be fine. I'm not happy at all with temperatures at stock voltage. This happened to me in Battlefield 3 today. :(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7543[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7544[/ATTACH]

It was only 75F (~24C) in my room today and I was using the cooling pad turned all the way up too. There's a lot of dust caked on the bottom where the fans are so there's probably a lot of buildup due to me benching almost non-stop for a week, but it's no excuse for how hot the CPU is getting.

You shouldn't be forcing that turbo multiplier. The 3630QM or any other CPU isnt meant for that. All you are doing is screwing up your computer doing that. You should select the BALANCED Power Plan in energy management settings. And use that and dont force turbo multiplier.

If you do that your laptop should decrease temperatures a lot. I don't think the cooling is the problem here. The problem is just the way it scales up. I also have 75C just when doing VMWare stuff when that program is idle.

What you can do to prevent stuttering is disable core parking. You can google how to disable core parking on Windows 7. I have written several tutorials for it in the past. It should also work on windows 8.

I7's are good things. But in laptops, if you pack them with turbo multipliers, you are destroying everything.

On the other hand you shouldnt be worried, I have seen 3770Ks and 3570Ks running for almost over a year on 90C temps overclocked to 4.5GHz or something similar. So should you be worried? No. But you may want to take my advice removing that setting of forcing the turbo multiplier :) !

You shouldn't be forcing that turbo multiplier. The 3630QM or any other CPU isnt meant for that. All you are doing is screwing up your computer doing that. You should select the BALANCED Power Plan in energy management settings. And use that and dont force turbo multiplier.

If you do that your laptop should decrease temperatures a lot. I don't think the cooling is the problem here. The problem is just the way it scales up. I also have 75C just when doing VMWare stuff when that program is idle.

What you can do to prevent stuttering is disable core parking. You can google how to disable core parking on Windows 7. I have written several tutorials for it in the past. It should also work on windows 8.

I7's are good things. But in laptops, if you pack them with turbo multipliers, you are destroying everything.

On the other hand you shouldnt be worried, I have seen 3770Ks and 3570Ks running for almost over a year on 90C temps overclocked to 4.5GHz or something similar. So should you be worried? No. But you may want to take my advice removing that setting of forcing the turbo multiplier :) !

I paid for the i7 and I'm gonna run it at full speed because it increases my FPS in PlanetSide 2, which is very poorly optimized and only uses one core, by a lot. And core parking is already disabled out of the box on the Y500 i7.

I paid for the i7 and I'm gonna run it at full speed because it increases my FPS in PlanetSide 2, which is very poorly optimized and only uses one core, by a lot. And core parking is already disabled out of the box on the Y500 i7.

Out of curiosity.. what settings are you running in PS2? That is the main game, besides SWTOR that I am trying to play on my new Y500.

Also, does anyone know why my GPU core clock speeds are locked and cannot exceed 925? I am using the method found over on notebookreview.com (Y500 GT650M Overclock - Page 15) post #157 and everything works besides the problem mentioned above. Is this a BIOS issue and I need to flash it to get the speeds I am looking for? The memory overclock is fine at 2500 without issue but the core is locked in still.. Any help would be appreciated!

I will download planetside 2 again and I will report how it performs on my i5 :). Ill do some tests for you. :) !

Planetside 2 runs fine here on default settings... even with turbo boost turned off. If I turn on GPU Physics my FPS drop from 70 to 40.

Turn off vsync and limit FPS to 60 with nvidia inspector in the Planetside 2 profile.

Turbo boost is not supposed to be used all the time. It's only when the cooling allows it.

I have seen an option in the Power tab in the BIOS that controls a lot of how the cpu behaves. Take a look at that if it helps. But normally you should be fine with default settings.

Intel designed their CPUs to continue to use full Turbo Boost right up until the thermal throttling point. I am not sure why you keep saying that it is not supposed to be used all the time.

As long as the CPU is operating within the power and temperature limits set by Intel then yes, it should be using full Turbo Boost.

octiceps: Nice to see ThrottleStop being used and that you are getting or trying to get all of the Intel intended performance out of your CPU. Some laptop manufacturers have decided to limit their laptops with some ridiculous throttling schemes rather than spend the time and money designing some better cooling solutions. As long as your CPU is operating under the 105C thermal throttling temperature, Intel says that it is at a safe operating temperature. Intel sets high throttling limits because they fully believe in their CPUs ability to run 100% reliably at these temperatures, including full turbo boost.

Edit: Here's an example.

Both the CPU and Intel GPU are hot as hell and both continue to run at full speed.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6216/torturetest.png

It's not Intel that dreams up all these CPU limitations. It's laptop manufacturers that could all use a kick in the ass. Both are over 100C and both are running at full speed and then some. Fantastic technology.

• Thumbs Up 4

Planetside 2 runs fine here on default settings... even with turbo boost turned off. If I turn on GPU Physics my FPS drop from 70 to 40.

Turn off vsync and limit FPS to 60 with nvidia inspector in the Planetside 2 profile.

Turbo boost is not supposed to be used all the time. It's only when the cooling allows it.

I have seen an option in the Power tab in the BIOS that controls a lot of how the cpu behaves. Take a look at that if it helps. But normally you should be fine with default settings.

Yeah I get that kind of FPS too if I'm just walking around the Warp Gate. In that situation you are GPU-bound. But get into a big battle and then report back. I guarantee you your FPS will tank. If you press ALT-F in a big battle a frame rate counter will appear on the bottom left and show you what component (CPU or GPU) is bottlenecking. It will most definitely be the CPU.

I am currently running PlanetSide 2 at all medium settings with ultra textures enabled through the .ini file. GT 650m SLI is overclocked to 1120/2250.

Intel designed their CPUs to continue to use full Turbo Boost right up until the thermal throttling point. I am not sure why you keep saying that it is not supposed to be used all the time.

As long as the CPU is operating within the power and temperature limits set by Intel then yes, it should be using full Turbo Boost.

octiceps: Nice to see ThrottleStop being used and that you are getting or trying to get all of the Intel intended performance out of your CPU. Some laptop manufacturers have decided to limit their laptops with some ridiculous throttling schemes rather than spend the time and money designing some better cooling solutions. As long as your CPU is operating under the 105C thermal throttling temperature, Intel says that it is at a safe operating temperature. Intel sets high throttling limits because they fully believe in their CPUs ability to run 100% reliably at these temperatures, including full turbo boost.

Edit: Here's an example.

Both the CPU and Intel GPU are hot as hell and both continue to run at full speed.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6216/torturetest.png

It's not Intel that dreams up all these CPU limitations. It's laptop manufacturers that could all use a kick in the ass. Both are over 100C and both are running at full speed and then some. Fantastic technology.

Thanks unclewebb. And thanks for creating the invaluable tool that is ThrottleStop. I think we're on the same page as far as wanting to get the maximum rated performance out of our CPU's. I'd feel shortchanged if I didn't.

Yeah I get that kind of FPS too if I'm just walking around the Warp Gate. In that situation you are GPU-bound. But get into a big battle and then report back. I guarantee you your FPS will tank. If you press ALT-F in a big battle a frame rate counter will appear on the bottom left and show you what component (CPU or GPU) is bottlenecking. It will most definitely be the CPU.

I am currently running PlanetSide 2 at all medium settings with ultra textures enabled through the .ini file. GT 650m SLI is overclocked to 1120/2250.

How are you getting past 925 core clock? My memory clock is all the way up to 2500 but I am unable to go beyond 925 on my core.. Any help would be appreciated.

Throttlestop is great, it was the only way I could game on my Acer 3830tg, but the Y400 doesn't need it as much. I still run it to monitor temps though, I'm used to having temps in my toolbar now.

At max load, with CPU fully un-throttled (running at close to 56W, 53W on mine), and both GPU running at max load at 1.15V at 1250MHz, the 170W power supply DOES NOT provide enough power for the laptop.

I have problems with the battery started discharging halfway when I am running benchmark (small FFT prime95 + Uningine Heaven). Even when playing Bioshock Infinite I had this problem. Have you seen before, negative charge rate on the battery because the laptop was sucking so much power from the power supply that it started sucking power from battery.

Yeah....so now I have to find a 220W power supply just so I won't run out of juice. I can get the Sager 220W power supply, and with an adapter it should work fine on the Y500.

- - - Updated - - -

For those who are running ThrottleStop and running full boost, without any modification to the power limit in TS or BIOS just note that the CPU is pulling close to 53-54W at full load. And if you have your GPU overvolted and overclocked, at full CPU n GPU load you will probably run into the same problem as me. Each GPU is rated at 45W, but overvolted they probably eat more than 50W. So, 56+50+50 is 156W. Assuming the PSU has 5% loss, providing about 160W of power, you will see that juice is running out fast.

And UncleWebb, the power clamping feature in TS works. The 3630qm only lets me drop the power to 36W at its lowest though. With full load, 36W lets the CPU runs at 2.6GHz. At 45W, full load the CPU runs at 2.9GHz. At about 53W, the CPU boost fully up to 3.2GHz.