100 Hz refresh rate in G75VW!

96 or 72 right? Just multiples of 24 I guess? Setting it at some other 'random' value isn't any worse than the 60Hz most screens offer right?

That's right. A multiple of 24 is best for watching films. Setting it at other values like 67Hz causes the video player to playout frames unevenly. If I owned an overclockable 60Hz LCD, I would have a multiple of 24 for films, of 25 for some PAL (EU AND UK framerate) and the highest possible for gaming.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's right. A multiple of 24 is best for watching films. Setting it at other values like 67Hz causes the video player to playout frames unevenly. If I owned an overclockable 60Hz LCD, I would have a multiple of 24 for films, of 25 for some PAL (EU AND UK framerate) and the highest possible for gaming.

Right, thanks for the info. I'll create some different profiles of those multiples. 72Hz for film watching if it's on a DVD or something (I'll use FRAPS to check what the actual framerate is first), 75Hz for watching BBC iplayer, and I may up it to the limit of 78Hz that I can get for games. Thanks.

Does video content sync it's output to a complete frame then, like Vsync in games (if the multiple of Hz fits)? Because if it didn't sync it's output anyway, then would it not matter what your Hz setting was anyway?

I find with BBC iPlayer it's reasonably synced. A few dropped frames here but nothing to worry about. As for films, guess you can look into MadVR, it has an exclusive mode (as opposed to windowed mode) that locks the framerate to the refresh rate to prevent tearing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just though I'd share some success. I have the G75VW with the Chi Mei display(its non 3D) and it topped at a 105 hz. But I just used the custom resolution setting in Nvidia control panel and it works just fine. Its definitely a lot smoother too. Thanks for the heads up Klem, I didnt event think that a laptop screen would have some untapped ooomph.

• 1 month later...

Just to add, I did this as well on a G750JH w/GTX 780M and it works great at 100Hz. Windows is more fluid. Never thought of overclocking a display until I started to look into the G750 display and realized it was different from the G74 display I had before which was one of the things I loved most about that laptop.

Going from Glossy to Matte I didn't know if I would like it. Turns out its not bad at all. Display quality are on par with one another comparing the two, and the 100Hz bump just helps it that much more.

I also use the Nvidia control panel and just choose to make a custom resolution.

• 5 weeks later...
WOW Klem thank you it worked. Im on a G75 VX and the refresh rate is running at 100hz. Games looks so much better now. Thank you.

This worked for me as well. Thank you very much! I noticed the difference right away. FYI I play on my main system with 120hz Acer 3d display.

• 1 month later...

Guys sorry for the necro, but wanted to share my experience as well.

Don't have an ASUS, but I was able to overclock the AUO B173HW01 V4 panel in my P370SM all the way up to 112Hz. At 113Hz images start getting distorted and at 114Hz only random scrambled lines are left. I don't mind using 100 or even 90Hz since beyond 90Hz I can barely tell the difference. Going from 60 to 80Hz was a huge jump though; there was a noticeable increase in the smoothness/fluidity when sliding around open windows or even just moving the cursor around. From 80 to 100Hz I guess the smoothness increased slightly? But I honestly don't know whether to attribute this to a placebo effect or if it's real. In any case the change is much smaller than going from 60 to 80.

It can't hurt. Increasing the refresh rate does stress CRTs more, but LCDs cannot be damaged by doing this. Most power draw is by the backlight and this does not affect that at all.

I Have a Clevo P150EM + AMD 7970m and a LCD MATE, can i use a program to OC LCD 90H?? Its safe? i Try the guid, but dident work on w8.1

I Have a Clevo P150EM + AMD 7970m and a LCD MATE, can i use a program to OC LCD 90H?? Its safe? i Try the guid, but dident work on w8.1

If I could find a way to raise the refresh rate I would have. Unfortunately the intel driver does not allow increasing refresh rates. The only solution is to flash the EDID, which I don't see how to do on laptop screens.

If I could find a way to raise the refresh rate I would have. Unfortunately the intel driver does not allow increasing refresh rates. The only solution is to flash the EDID, which I don't see how to do on laptop screens.

I think i found some goodddd... can you check this?

software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/303998

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/custom-resolutions-on-intel-graphics

communities.intel.com/thread/43713

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone tried this on a G75VW-TH71 with 1600x900 display (60hz)? It would be quite nice to push the refresh rate higher. I can actually see the refresh rate, and it's quite bothersome. Also, is there any chance that this could have a negative impact on your LCD, even if it works?

Has anyone tried this on a G75VW-TH71 with 1600x900 display (60hz)? It would be quite nice to push the refresh rate higher. I can actually see the refresh rate, and it's quite bothersome. Also, is there any chance that this could have a negative impact on your LCD, even if it works?

No real risk of negative impact, I've had mine overclocked for a year now without problems. NVidia even advertise that you can overclock panels with their cards, however they do put in a little disclaimer, but at the same time they intimate that it won't be a problem. I've not heard of any issues doing this before.

• 2 years later...

Can someone who has increased the refresh rate long term comment on reliability or issues? I can go to 72Hz on my 1080p Chi Mei screen without skipping any frames. Just not sure on any long term effects this might have on the panel. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/17/2013 at 8:38 AM, Klem said:

Hi All!

100 Hz refresh rate in G75VW (and maybe G75VX)! For non 3D models!

History according to Peter » G75VW Hidden Powers

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Enjoy!

Heyy old post but I was able to get my screen to push too 100hz with nvidia custom resolution a couple days ago!

• 1 year later...