Y500 Matte Screen?

theagent

hey octiceps i is see you have the 16gb ssd in your y500, is it performing well enough boot times and overall systems responsiveness wise to warrant one to be comfortable and not need a ssd.

The Y500 I had before had only the 1TB HDD and no SSD, so that's what I'm comparing it to. I've never used a real SSD so I can't compare it to that. Plus I just got my machine so I've only been navigating around Windows and Web browsing. Haven't used any games or applications on it yet. Windows definitely feels a bit snappier overall. Boot times have only improved a little because Windows 8 boot times were already insanely fast, even on an HDD. I've noticed that there's almost no disk thrashing after bootup and startup items load immediately. Windows is responsive immediately after the desktop loads. My WEI primary hard disk score went up from 5.9 (the maximum on an HDD) to 6.8.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I just ordered the keyboard skin from HK , buy 1 colored take 1 transparent. I got for my 2 laptops. the z400 and my y500.

Just arrived yesterday. The materials used for the z400 skin is defenetly better than the y500. The z400 skin (Purple )is thicker and you can type on it. The y500 skin ( yellow ) is just to thin and glossy that the keys get stuck when you put it in . You cannot type at all with the skin in place.

been asking for replacement and he said that the skin is the same with z400 and y500, but that is not the case. I am not dumb enough not to know the difference. IMO

If anyone of you has a better skin for out amazing laptop, please do post it :D

THANKS T.I!

When I got my replacement Y500 I purchased a Samsung 840 SSD to drop in place of the 1TB 5400 cloning the drive. I would be playing BF3 and the auto save would for a split second freeze the game play prior to having the SSD as my sole drive vs the 1TB. SSD has eradicated this. Boot times are insanely fast in comparison. The 1TB is the Y500 Achilles heel IMO albeit once booted and stable is okay. I have since bought a external caddy and use the 1tb drive for backup over USB.

• 3 months later...
Here are some pics of my Keyboard cover, which I ended up getting from Amazon(from china). Here is the link to it on amazon, Amazon.com: Coolskin Clear TPU Keyboard Cover Skin for Lenovo Ideapad Y580,Y570,Y570D,Y500,Z580,Z560,Z565,Z570,Z575 Size: 12.2x5.1x0.1, Color : Clear: Electronics

If you look at the picture with my finger in it you can see the remnants of the wave that I used my blow-dryer t flatten out. It was shipped rolled up and because i am in florida it probably remolded itself from the heat and position. Overall I am satisfied with the product, If I bought another one I would look for a black translucent cover because that would look sick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7601[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7602[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7603[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7604[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7605[/ATTACH]

Do know if this work with the y510p? I dont want wait a month to get.