Y500 Matte Screen?

theagent

Anyone know of a compatible 1080p matte LCD panel I can replace this glossy thing with? It's becoming incredibly annoying to game on. I don't mind doing some soldering / re-wiring if need be.

Edit: I may have just found an answer to my own question, if anyone else is interested... https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/IDEAPAD~Y500/index.php?section=products&model=IDEAPAD%20Y500%2059360242&brand=IBM-Lenovo, thanks to a thread on the Lenovo forum. Priced just right too.

There's also this: 15 6'' Anti Glare Cover Keyboard Skin Protector FOR IBM Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Y500 | eBay

I can't attest to the quality, as generally applying an anti-glare film after-the-fact will induce a highly grainy appearance.

I'm loathe to replace the panel, now that I've figured out that I can overclock the panel to 108hz without frame skipping. This allows me to keep v-sync off and not worry about tearing except in quite old games with obscenely high or spiking fps.

There's also this: 15 6'' Anti Glare Cover Keyboard Skin Protector FOR IBM Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Y500 | eBay

I can't attest to the quality, as generally applying an anti-glare film after-the-fact will induce a highly grainy appearance.

I'm loathe to replace the panel, now that I've figured out that I can overclock the panel to 108hz without frame skipping. This allows me to keep v-sync off and not worry about tearing except in quite old games with obscenely high or spiking fps.

Also, matte notebook displays, especially the ones that aren't high-end, tend to not only be more grainy but have less vivid and saturated colors and lower brightness and contrast compared to a comparable glossy screen. Reduction in image quality is similar to what you get when you apply an anti-glare film but not quite as bad.

Wow, you overclocked from 60Hz to 108Hz? That's pretty incredible for this laptop display. Have you noticed any other side effects such as stuttering or dropped frames? Or are you actually seeing all 108 frames when using Vsync?

Interesting... I'll have to look into the overclocking. I'm not sure I'd go with the skin... I'd imagine it would reduce quality quite a bit. I was looking at the AUO B156HW01 v4, which should work, and is a high quality panel (for a TN panel), but I've read of others having issues with adjusting brightness.

edit: Just adjusted to 108Hz using EVGA Pixel Clock Tool. I see no issues so far. Pretty cool.

Anyone know of a compatible 1080p matte LCD panel I can replace this glossy thing with? It's becoming incredibly annoying to game on. I don't mind doing some soldering / re-wiring if need be.

Edit: I may have just found an answer to my own question, if anyone else is interested... https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/IDEAPAD~Y500/index.php?section=products&model=IDEAPAD%20Y500%2059360242&brand=IBM-Lenovo, thanks to a thread on the Lenovo forum. Priced just right too.

I bought the Y500 Matte Screen from Laptopscreen.com the other day, recieved it like two days ago.

I even made a video on how to install the screen here:

I install the matte screen right now, I like it A LOT better then the glossy one... seems more natural, better on the eyes without the exaggerated colors... lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I actuallys ordered the keyboard cover from ebay and can't wait for it to arrive. Wish amazon had a few of these that didin't come from china so I dont have to wait like 20 days T_T, I also ordered the King Honor Film that goes on like a skin for the laptop. Has anyone ever tried this before? Here is the link Original KH Special Laptop Carbon Cover Skin for Lenovo Y500 Series | eBay

I actuallys ordered the keyboard cover from ebay and can't wait for it to arrive. Wish amazon had a few of these that didin't come from china so I dont have to wait like 20 days T_T, I also ordered the King Honor Film that goes on like a skin for the laptop. Has anyone ever tried this before? Here is the link Original KH Special Laptop Carbon Cover Skin for Lenovo Y500 Series | eBay

I probably ordered the same y500 keyboard cover from eBay... buy one get one free? Same about waiting time :D Takes long.

Also, I have carbon fiber skin for Y500.... I just installed it 5 hours ago. Looky here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkjdtdy6dggi4g0/2013-05-21%2000.56.42.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szfibmb1hvhn6vo/2013-05-21%2000.56.55.jpg

It's awesome! I highly recommend it...

Is the skin vinyl? I think I'll be getting one of those. Looks pretty freaking sweet.

Yeah it is like a vinyl, sort of a sticker vinyl without leaving any adhesive residue. It looks amazing, especially with the Red lit keyboard the red & black theme is awesome. Also say goodbye to fingerprint magnet.

here is the ebay link Original KH Special Laptop Carbon Cover Skin for Lenovo Y500 Series | eBay

If you scroll down you can see an Asian dude installing it.

Here are some pics of my Keyboard cover, which I ended up getting from Amazon(from china). Here is the link to it on amazon, Amazon.com: Coolskin Clear TPU Keyboard Cover Skin for Lenovo Ideapad Y580,Y570,Y570D,Y500,Z580,Z560,Z565,Z570,Z575 Size: 12.2x5.1x0.1, Color : Clear: Electronics

If you look at the picture with my finger in it you can see the remnants of the wave that I used my blow-dryer t flatten out. It was shipped rolled up and because i am in florida it probably remolded itself from the heat and position. Overall I am satisfied with the product, If I bought another one I would look for a black translucent cover because that would look sick.

post-13091-14494995375274_thumb.jpg

post-13091-14494995373649_thumb.jpg

post-13091-14494995374101_thumb.jpg

post-13091-14494995374492_thumb.jpg

post-13091-1449499537488_thumb.jpg

Yeah it is like a vinyl, sort of a sticker vinyl without leaving any adhesive residue. It looks amazing, especially with the Red lit keyboard the red & black theme is awesome. Also say goodbye to fingerprint magnet.

here is the ebay link Original KH Special Laptop Carbon Cover Skin for Lenovo Y500 Series | eBay

If you scroll down you can see an Asian dude installing it.

$30 bucks is a bit pricey though, If it were like $15-20 I'd be all over it.

Yup just got my vinyl today also, loving it. Now I can use my laptop without wiping it down 24/7. Also I put the vinyl over the touchpad and it makes it so much better in my opinion. I guess I just like texture on my touchpad.

Do you have any idea about the quality in the keyboard cover?

I am looking for one atm.

How do you know which screen to choose? I'd like to change my glossy display to a matte finish but see that there are 6 model numbers for the y500.

p.s. thanks for that video! it will be very helpful once I know which screen to order.

Also, matte notebook displays, especially the ones that aren't high-end, tend to not only be more grainy but have less vivid and saturated colors and lower brightness and contrast compared to a comparable glossy screen. Reduction in image quality is similar to what you get when you apply an anti-glare film but not quite as bad.

Wow, you overclocked from 60Hz to 108Hz? That's pretty incredible for this laptop display. Have you noticed any other side effects such as stuttering or dropped frames? Or are you actually seeing all 108 frames when using Vsync?

I haven't seen any laptop displays that were too grainy. LG was notorious for heavy AG coating on their IPS models, but stopped that practice when Samsung's PLS came with a low grain coating and looked a heck of a lot better. Glossy has more vivid color usually in the dark, but once it's bright, it makes up for it. Blacks become hell and all apparent contrast gets lost quickly. My MSI GT685 doesn't have a strong anti-glare grain on it, but it can't be overclocked.

No side effects. I started with 96hz for a while, but since I rarely watch 24fps video, 108 became my standard. I also tried 120, but that introduced snow in games which tells me that something (RAMDAC, panel PCB) did not support that speed. Weirdly enough the problem only showed up on gaming, not desktop.

Sorry for the late reply, as I have been hella-busy lately.

Do you have any idea about the quality in the keyboard cover?

I am looking for one atm.

Haven't tried it but I plan to and let you know.

I bought the Y500 Matte Screen from Laptopscreen.com the other day, recieved it like two days ago.

I even made a video on how to install the screen here:

I install the matte screen right now, I like it A LOT better then the glossy one... seems more natural, better on the eyes without the exaggerated colors... lol