M17X Stutter

Huuy

I've noticed in some single-player games I get a slight stutter. Like the game and audio will freeze for about 0.5-1second. This happens mostly online but I think it's because of my terrible internet connection. I've noticed it happen in a few games (Homefront, Crysis 2). I'm not sure if it's the 5870m's that are causing it or my SSD.

I ran a crystaldiskmark and noticed that my write speeds are pretty low, not sure if this will cause a problem. My WEI score also shows 6.5. Does this mean I have a faulty SSD?

Kingston SSDNow SNV425-S2 128GB:

crystalt.png

I'm running the latest AMD drivers (11.4)

• Founder

I think you're running into microstutter that happens with Crossfire setups. The SSD numbers look a bit low for 4k but typical of an SSD in an M17x-R2.

Just found out that SSD is not running ATA in the BIOS. I tried changing it to ATA but now the laptop just hangs at the boot screen (alien head), not sure what do do now.

Not sure if ATA makes a difference or not.

(Hate this phone, it erased everything I write I lose so much and have to write everything over) Guys I had a problem in the past year on my R2... I can repeat the problem on multiple computers... So here is a heads up. If your like me and have changed your audio sample rate... yes I like to hear my movies and audio at a better rate than dvd 44khz. The problem is that some video games have a hiccup from it. The problem surface in two way... A stuttering in frame rates and audio. The other is that some games wouldn't even launch without having the sample rate back to 44khz from whatever I had it at like 192khz. So when set back to normal the particular games would not crash immediately to the desktop anymore nor the games that stuttered. So for an example I am going by memory so only have one, Saw the videogame (yes the one made about the horror movie). If I didn't have 44khz or lower the game wouldn't launch correctly. So I am not saying that this was the cause of the above posted problem, just know I had these mentioned problems on a couple computers I played games on so heads up guys.

• Founder

@mw86 hmmm interesting, good to know that...

@OP yeah your SSD's writes seem kinda slow, almost half of what they should be... so the first step is to resolve this issue and then see if the problem persists. I would suggest to free some space first and see if you get improved writes then we will see what else you can do

Re: Suttering

This isnt microstutter - microstutter is very very different. Microstutter doesnt actually stutter, so its a bit of a misnomer. Microstutter is when 2 gpu's render their frames too close together, making the output look like almost half of the FPS currently being rendered. This is present on all multi-gpu systems, and can be somewhat rectified with vsync+triple buffer.

What you are experiencing is most probably due to your SSDNOW having interrupt stutter, which happens with all jmicron SSDs. There isnt really a fix for this unless you buy expensive HDD caching software (i forget what it was called) or you toss it out. The whole jmicron generation was junk.

Switching temporarily to a normal hard disk will show this to be the case.

Sorry for your bad luck - whoever sold you the drive, try get a refund.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 3

Refund is well over by now, well at least I know what the problem is. I guess I'll just put in my previous HDD, which kind of sucks because I bought it with a 5400 RPM lol. When I bought it I thought it was the next generation, probably should have done more research :)

Wonder if i can get a hold of Kingston and exchange it for their newer model. doubt it, but worth a shot.

EDIT: I know this may be a stupid question, but what if I were to install all my games on a second drive, and just have windows, internet, etc on the SSD drive. I take it the games will run of of the HDD and not the SSD and solve the problem? that is if the SSD is the culprit.

Edited by Huuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah you could do that. Ashtefere is right tho, you'll want either newer Sandforce SF-1200 (or higher version) or Intel SSD. It happens, and it probably happened to everyone around here ... at least couple of times. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Happened to me :(

But it was my first ssd, 8gb. I thought I was so awesome! Early adopter and all.

Such a scam!

-Ash

Edit: Huuy, if you have windows on the SSD, make sure the page file ISNT on the ssd.

Writing to the drive causes the stutter, so pagefile, temp files, save game, etc will all cause the stutter.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Re: Suttering

This isnt microstutter - microstutter is very very different. Microstutter doesnt actually stutter, so its a bit of a misnomer. Microstutter is when 2 gpu's render their frames too close together, making the output look like almost half of the FPS currently being rendered. This is present on all multi-gpu systems, and can be somewhat rectified with vsync+triple buffer.

What you are experiencing is most probably due to your SSDNOW having interrupt stutter, which happens with all jmicron SSDs. There isnt really a fix for this unless you buy expensive HDD caching software (i forget what it was called) or you toss it out. The whole jmicron generation was junk.

Switching temporarily to a normal hard disk will show this to be the case.

Sorry for your bad luck - whoever sold you the drive, try get a refund.

-Ash

The SSDNOW info I wasn't aware of. Good stuff.

Well, I installed my 5400RPM HDD and that seemed to solve the problem for single-player games, but I still have the problem with online games, not sure if it's my internet or all. I maintain a 40-50 ping. Anyone know of a problem that will show my ping during games so I can monitor it?

• Founder

well if you know the ip address of the server you are connected, you can open a command console and type:

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the actual ip address of the server)

• Thumbs Up 1