Proper Temps for CPU/GPU Laptops?

I'm just curious. What are considered safe, dangerous, and seriously killer temps for laptop CPU/GPU's?

Max temps before throttling are 105C for ivy bridge CPUs and 90C for nvidia GPUs. For AMD APUs max is 100C. IDK about their descrete GPUs.

CPUs can run hotter since they are socketed. Heat can't cause solder balls to flex and break like they can for GPUs. I used to run a sandy bridge over 90C a lot and I never had any problems. The only question is if the CPU cooler also cools other chips like FETs for voltage regulation, in which case you probably should keep temps under 90C.

Higher temps do mean there is a higher likelyhood for parts to fail, but many people have laptops that hit throttle temps regularly, and that hardware is still alive today. There really are no "killer temps" since built in throttle points kick in before then. The only thing to look out for really is if a part is known for being prone to failure, such as back in 2008 for the 8600m gt. People saying they prefer lower temps and mostly just being conservative and their hardware would be fine if they ran hotter anyway. Personally I like to stay over 5C under throttle points.

Alright thanks. My CPU seems to be doing fine but my GPU... I have a GTX 680m and I OC'ed it to 901/2200 then tried Kombustor for 10 minutes... it reached 86, so i guess I should be worried? Using stock BIOS, so that means I shouldn't even touch vBIOS because it will run too hot?

Alright thanks. My CPU seems to be doing fine but my GPU... I have a GTX 680m and I OC'ed it to 901/2200 then tried Kombustor for 10 minutes... it reached 86, so i guess I should be worried? Using stock BIOS, so that means I shouldn't even touch vBIOS because it will run too hot?

svl7's bios disables the throttling for kombustor causing it to get the card hotter than anything. Games should be several degrees cooler.

svl7's bios disables the throttling for kombustor causing it to get the card hotter than anything. Games should be several degrees cooler.

The thing is, I haven't even flashed any kind of modded vBIOS or modified my vBIOS for that matter at all. I'm still using the BIOS that my laptop came with. The only thing I did was flash an EC Firmware that stopped throttling of the CPU, which should therotecially leave the GPU temps untouched for the most part.

That's why I'm thinking, if I already have such high temps with the locked vBIOS, I don't know if I should even bother using a modified vBIOS to push the clocks even further (I have a feeling I'll hit the 90 degree ceiling quickly...)

EDIT: Ok I just finished playing for about 20 minutes, I had my GPU OC'ed to 901 (+135)/2200 (+400). After gaming I noticed that my GPU throttled a bit at some points, but the biggest thing was I noticed my temps were pretty much staying at 90 degrees! That's not a big OC (it was the max I could push the core without using a modded vBIOS) and I don't think I should be getting these types of temps.

The thing is, I haven't even flashed any kind of modded vBIOS or modified my vBIOS for that matter at all. I'm still using the BIOS that my laptop came with. The only thing I did was flash an EC Firmware that stopped throttling of the CPU, which should therotecially leave the GPU temps untouched for the most part.

That's why I'm thinking, if I already have such high temps with the locked vBIOS, I don't know if I should even bother using a modified vBIOS to push the clocks even further (I have a feeling I'll hit the 90 degree ceiling quickly...)

EDIT: Ok I just finished playing for about 20 minutes, I had my GPU OC'ed to 901 (+135)/2200 (+400). After gaming I noticed that my GPU throttled a bit at some points, but the biggest thing was I noticed my temps were pretty much staying at 90 degrees! That's not a big OC (it was the max I could push the core without using a modded vBIOS) and I don't think I should be getting these types of temps.

What laptop is this?

What laptop is this?

MSI GT60-0NE w/ GTX 680m

The strange thing is, when I use Kombustor, the max temperatures only reach about 79 degrees. However, when I run GPU/CPU intensive games (in particular, PlanetSide 2), my temps rise to 90 degrees! I've tried running Kombustor for about 10 minutes and the maximum temp it reached was 79, so I dunno what's up. I doubt it's a thermal paste issue because Kombustor is supposed to push my GPU to the max, and it doesn't break 80 degrees, so why would PlanetSide 2 break 90?

MSI GT60-0NE w/ GTX 680m

The strange thing is, when I use Kombustor, the max temperatures only reach about 79 degrees. However, when I run GPU/CPU intensive games (in particular, PlanetSide 2), my temps rise to 90 degrees! I've tried running Kombustor for about 10 minutes and the maximum temp it reached was 79, so I dunno what's up. I doubt it's a thermal paste issue because Kombustor is supposed to push my GPU to the max, and it doesn't break 80 degrees, so why would PlanetSide 2 break 90?

Because with the default BIOS Kombustor will not push the card much. Games will push it even harder. I'm not very familiar with that laptop's cooling effectiveness but 90C is very hot for default voltage so I suspect a die contact issue.

Because with the default BIOS Kombustor will not push the card much. Games will push it even harder. I'm not very familiar with that laptop's cooling effectiveness but 90C is very hot for default voltage so I suspect a die contact issue.

Ah I see. So what do you suggest I do? What should be the temps for my current OC? (+135/400)?

Ah I see. So what do you suggest I do? What should be the temps for my current OC? (+135/400)?

Again I am not very familiar with the cooling of your laptop, but it should certainly not be hitting the throttle point on stock volts. Repaste it and maybe up die pressure and see if it improves.

Do you have an aftermarket thermal paste on? I'd consider repasting with icd7. I had similar temps to you and after repasting my temps dropped quite significantly, like around 67c on full load.

Do you have an aftermarket thermal paste on? I'd consider repasting with icd7. I had similar temps to you and after repasting my temps dropped quite significantly, like around 67c on full load.

Well I went out and bought IC Diamond and repasted... Didn't seem o make much difference although it runs a bit cooler (still hitting 90 degrees... Maybe I pasted badly? It was my first time pasting but I followed all instructions carefully.)

What about on stock clocks? If you could afford to repaste definitely should, and check to see if there were any air bubbles accidentally formed - that would screw with the thermal performance.

Well I went out and bought IC Diamond and repasted... Didn't seem o make much difference although it runs a bit cooler (still hitting 90 degrees... Maybe I pasted badly? It was my first time pasting but I followed all instructions carefully.)

How much paste did you put on? It sounds like you need to raise die pressure, or your heatsink is uneven.

Or maybe MSI laptops just have underpowered GPU cooling?

I dunno but I couldn't solve the heat issue. I tried repasting again (sadly I did it literally PERFECT the first time, and I don't know if I can get that perfection again :pudency:) and I also replaced some of the thermal pads. Temps still reach 90.

However I did notice that the fan didn't really change speed UNTIL it hit 90 degrees, so at least on Kombustor I got it back down to 80 with turbo enabled. Not sure how that will fare in-game (before repasting it hit 91 with 100% fan speed.)

• 3 weeks later...

I no this is kind of offtopic but could you tell me what throttling is. I have problems with my CPU getting 104*c in 3dmark11 and the cooling fans going from zero to whirlwind in seconds. Is this from so called throttling?

I no this is kind of offtopic but could you tell me what throttling is. I have problems with my CPU getting 104*c in 3dmark11 and the cooling fans going from zero to whirlwind in seconds. Is this from so called throttling?

Throttling is when a processor slows down from its expected speed. What you describe is overheating. It sounds as if your heatsink is barely touching the processor die.