i7-3630QM what can I/should I upgrade to?

I have an msi GT60-0NE and it came with the stock i7-3630QM CPU. I've been playing PlanetSide 2 and I have been mostly CPU bound.

I'm assuming that future games that come out will just be as, if not more CPU intensive, so I have started thinking about what to upgrade my CPU to.

Because I don't think I can provide adequate cooling to my laptop (I am fairly new at modifying computers, so I won't be modding anything inside the laptop) so I was wondering what is the best bang for my buck? Also, I'm expecting a significant boost in performance, or am I setting myself up for disappointment if I buy a 3840QM?

Sorry last question: Without modifications to the PSU, laptop, etc. Is it worth it to get an XM chip to OC or will it just heat up my CPU too much?

Cheers :pride:

I can't give you a recommendation for the CPU, but keep in mind that many games today do not use all four cores. Thus, faster clock speeds will help you more. Personally, I doubt all games will be so heavily CPU bound. I would wait and look at a few other upcoming games before upgrading. At least you can increase your sample size that way.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering am I expecting too much by upgrading to 3840QM? At least in terms getting PlanetSide 2 to not always be CPU bound @ 30 fps... (I'm also worried about future MMO games that will require a lot of CPU power.)

I've also thought about upgrading to an XM chip, but it's way too expensive and tbh with the heating problems I'm bound to have, not to mention my GPU not being SLI, I doubt I can OC it to it's full potential. Therefore I'm most likely just going to upgrade to the highest QM chip ATM (which is the 3840QM). Question is, do you guys think I'll be disappointed by the CPU power increase? I'm hoping that this upgrade will make the games I run more GPU bound, because it's a lot easier to OC my GPU.

For the record, I love to play MMO games, which nowadays seem more CPU hungry than GPU hungry, as evidenced by PlanetSide 2 (usually CPU bound instead of GPU bound).

IIRC, Planetside 2's unusual in overly relying on the CPU - it's rather odd, considering it doesn't have an overly dynamic game world to deal with. I'd personally wouldn't want to make the decision solely on and for PS2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

does anyone know if gt60 supports intel XTU? If it did, you could go for 3740qm, increase max multiplier by 400 mhz and increase TDP settings to allow the cpu to always run at full speed. When I did this to my clevo p150em I was able to run prime at a constant 3.9Ghz with all 4 cores fully utilized, giving me temps of around 80-85c... there was no point going for faster CPU as in the end you will be bound by thermal ceiling anyway so 3740qm would perform about the same as 3940xm.

• 1 month later...
I have an msi GT60-0NE and it came with the stock i7-3630QM CPU. I've been playing PlanetSide 2 and I have been mostly CPU bound.

I'm assuming that future games that come out will just be as, if not more CPU intensive, so I have started thinking about what to upgrade my CPU to.

Because I don't think I can provide adequate cooling to my laptop (I am fairly new at modifying computers, so I won't be modding anything inside the laptop) so I was wondering what is the best bang for my buck? Also, I'm expecting a significant boost in performance, or am I setting myself up for disappointment if I buy a 3840QM?

Sorry last question: Without modifications to the PSU, laptop, etc. Is it worth it to get an XM chip to OC or will it just heat up my CPU too much?

Cheers :pride:

If you can afford it it's worth getting an XM chip, but you'll do just fine with a 3XXXQM chip.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend upgrading to a 3720QM. It is the best bang for your buck upgradewise. You can sell your CPU and buy the 3720QM for a difference of $70-100, and you are upgrading your frequency from 3.4GHz to 4.0GHz, since that is the max overclock allowed on the 3720QM with Intel XTU. You may also be able be able to find a similarly priced 3740QM which will give you 4.1GHz.

• 2 weeks later...