Supermicro X9DRG-QF R 1.1 BIOS with nVidia SLi support

Boomer

Hi did you solved your problem with TItans? I have X9DRG-QF with two xeon 2687w on board and 4x GTX 780Ti - everything looks good, but i upgraded bios to R 3.0a and still don't have SLI support. :-( I was got R 3.0a on suppermicro official site. Where can i get Bios with SLI support - thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

@Boomer: First of all thanks again for providing those upgraded BIOS versions. They certainly worked well for me.

However, I'm now in the process of trying to acquire the knowledge to do stuff like that myself and I seem to run into a brick wall on pretty early steps and my google-fu seems weak there :)

Could you give me directions on how you actually do your BIOS modification for SLI support?

I came across various sites / forums that talk about BIOS modification but so far I haven't found anything that explains how SLI support (or Crossfire) can be modified into an existing BIOS of a board that is technically capable of running SLI (like the X9DRG-QF and possibly it's successor X10DRG-Q *which shows up on the Supermicro site for the barebone SYS-7048GR-TR but so far not as separately available board).

It's rather obvious that'd need an editor program like the MMTool and/or others plus the necessary files to be injected into the existing BIOS. But which tool (+version) would I need exactly? How, where would I get the file(s)/information that has/have to be inserted?

hello - where can i get bios version for x9drg-qf with SLI support?

X9DRGQF3_424.zip is the R 2.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF3_903.zip is the R 3.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF3_C05.zip is the latest R 3.0a BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

Note that these BIOS versions disable UEFI Video OpROM support. Please always update IPMI firmware to the latest version from the official website before updating BIOS. All versions tested on my own machine and everything is fine.

which is a fundamental difference between these versions?

• 2 weeks later...
@Boomer: First of all thanks again for providing those upgraded BIOS versions. They certainly worked well for me.

However, I'm now in the process of trying to acquire the knowledge to do stuff like that myself and I seem to run into a brick wall on pretty early steps and my google-fu seems weak there :)

Could you give me directions on how you actually do your BIOS modification for SLI support?

I came across various sites / forums that talk about BIOS modification but so far I haven't found anything that explains how SLI support (or Crossfire) can be modified into an existing BIOS of a board that is technically capable of running SLI (like the X9DRG-QF and possibly it's successor X10DRG-Q *which shows up on the Supermicro site for the barebone SYS-7048GR-TR but so far not as separately available board).

It's rather obvious that'd need an editor program like the MMTool and/or others plus the necessary files to be injected into the existing BIOS. But which tool (+version) would I need exactly? How, where would I get the file(s)/information that has/have to be inserted?

Hi,

X10DRG-Q is already up. Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRG-Q

To inject SLi "license" into BIOS, you need to extract DSDT from the official BIOS.

Use UEFITool [uEFITool] UEFI firmware image viewer and editor to "extract body" from AMIBoardInfo module.

Then, use a hex editor such as HxD. Downloads | mh-nexus

Search for keyword "DSDT" in the module that you extracted. 2 bytes following keyword "DSDT" is the length of the DSDT. For example, if the 2 bytes is AABB, then the length of DSDT, starting from the keyword "DSDT" is 0xBBAA bytes.

Copy the whole DSDT to a new file.

Decompile the official DSDT using the latest iASL compiler and Windows ACPI tools. https://acpica.org/downloads/binary-tools

When you decompile the official DSDT, the iASL compiler will tell you the version number of iASL compiler used to compile the official DSDT. For example, Version 20120420.

To avoid any possible problem, you must download and use the exactly same version of iASL compiler to recompile the DSDT.

Extract the SLi "license" from any official SLi compatible motherboard bios. To make it look "legit", extract the "license" from the same generation of Supermicro motherboards with official SLi support. However, any SLi "license" will work.

Then, inject the SLi "license" to the decompiled DSDT of your motherboard, and recompile the DSDT using the corresponding iASL compiler.

The recompiled DSDT will be longer than official. To simplify the process, you can adjust the length of modded DSDT by deleting some operating system descriptors at the head. Recompile the DSDT after you make adjustments, until the length exactly match the official version.

Now replace the official DSDT in the module with the version you modded, and replace the module in the BIOS ROM image using UEFITool.

Then flash the modded BIOS using official tool. If every step is done without error, your motherboard will have SLi support right after flashing. It is not required to reinstall display driver or the operating system.

- - - Updated - - -

hello - where can i get bios version for x9drg-qf with SLI support?

which is a fundamental difference between these versions?

First of all, you must always install the latest IPMI firmware from the official website.

If you need UEFI GOP support, you must use R 1.1 BIOS.

In order to support E5-2600 V2 CPUs, you must use the latest BIOS (currently R 3.0a).

Other versions are for archive purposes only. There is no need to use them.

@Boomer:

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I guess I will have to process that for a while because that whole process certainly exceeds what I have done on such low machine levels so far.

Oh and thanks for that link on the supermicro site. When I tried last both on the .com and .nl sites the links to the individual board either didn't show up or redirected to one of the entry pages.

Now I just have to keep wondering why supermicro doesn't get those two boards SLI licensed in the first place.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bumping this thread as I've got the X9DRG-QF REV 1.02 in my basement.   I haven't seen it post yet but I have hopes :)

... I hadn't quite realized how big this board is.

Questions: 

1) I need a new enclosure.  I was planning on an e-atx (z9pe-d8 or d16 but this showed up and I am building an HPC box - 4 Xeon Phi's).  The  board sticks out the side of my TT Core X9 a good 2 inches.  (I just bought it :( )

*  The supermicro 747 superchassis is lovely but until one falls from the sky at an obscenely low price it is not to be.

*  The same for the Lian Li D8000. Awesome but not a priority in the budget.

Are there any good alternative for inexpensive 4 or 5u cases OR retail computer cases that  will take this board and has the pci slots in the back to support it?

This is going to end up as a compute node so I don't need much disk and 2.5 ssd fit anywhere. 

The phis will be water cooled but I can mount the rad/fans on the exterior if there isn't room.

2) I have 2 - ES QA8X v1's.  that don't post with this BIOS (2665 8 core 2.3GHz).   The board is at the current BIOS revision 3.2.   Supermicro has provided me with 1.0c (the original shipping BIOS)  and I have a C0 on temporary loan so that I can post the board and downgrade the BIOS with afudos.

Is anyone aware of which BIOS revisions allowed this board to run with B0 stepping v1 E5's?

I will be upgrading to C0's ( The 10 core 2780's on taobao are tempting) at some point but  I want to start building my environments.

3)  Are the early SLI modded ROMS available? 

I tried downloading them but got a not authorized message for all but the most recent one on the site.  I could use a collection of ROMS so that I can find out what works best with the chips I currently have.

Thanks,

Robert

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2013 at 4:20 AM, Boomer said:

X9DRGQF3_424.zip is the R 2.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF3_903.zip is the R 3.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF3_C05.zip is the R 3.0a BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF5_325.zip is the latest R 3.2 BIOS with nVidia SLi support. Sorry but the forum does not allow me to upload it as attachment anyone.

Note that these BIOS versions disable UEFI Video OpROM support. Please always update IPMI firmware to the latest version from the official website before updating BIOS. All versions tested on my own machine and everything is fine.

X9DRGQF3_424.zip

X9DRGQF3_903.zip

X9DRGQF3_C05.zip

Hey do you still have the OLDER bios files? I am looking for older bios for this mobo... Having issues with the latest 3.2 version and no where to find previous versions... I would really appreciate it if I can get a few older versions from you..

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2014 at 0:19 AM, Boomer said:

First of all, you must always install the latest IPMI firmware from the official website.

If you need UEFI GOP support, you must use R 1.1 BIOS.

In order to support E5-2600 V2 CPUs, you must use the latest BIOS (currently R 3.0a).

Other versions are for archive purposes only. There is no need to use them.

What happen when using later BIOS version with UEFI GPU? Is it boot? Can you reupload the older files?

On 12/22/2015 at 10:32 AM, robertfontaine said:

Bumping this thread as I've got the X9DRG-QF REV 1.02 in my basement.   I haven't seen it post yet but I have hopes :)

... I hadn't quite realized how big this board is.

2) I have 2 - ES QA8X v1's.  that don't post with this BIOS (2665 8 core 2.3GHz).   The board is at the current BIOS revision 3.2.   Supermicro has provided me with 1.0c (the original shipping BIOS)  and I have a C0 on temporary loan so that I can post the board and downgrade the BIOS with afudos.

Is anyone aware of which BIOS revisions allowed this board to run with B0 stepping v1 E5's?

I will be upgrading to C0's ( The 10 core 2780's on taobao are tempting) at some point but  I want to start building my environments.

Have you success boot it yet? I also plan to buy this motherboard to use with ES CPU

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...