Supermicro X9DRG-QF R 1.1 BIOS with nVidia SLi support

Boomer

This board comes with four PCIe 3.0 x16 dual width slots for graphic cards and additional three PCIe slots for other expansion cards such as RAID controllers and sound cards. I ran GTX Titan 4-way SLi on this board. R 1.1 is the last version of official BIOS supporting UEFI Video OpROM and I modified it to enable nVidia SLi support as official BIOS comes without nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF2_C21.zip

• Thumbs Up 7

• 1 month later...

X9DRGQF3_424.zip is the R 2.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF3_903.zip is the R 3.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF3_C05.zip is the R 3.0a BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF5_325.zip is the latest R 3.2 BIOS with nVidia SLi support. Sorry but the forum does not allow me to upload it as attachment anyone.

Note that these BIOS versions disable UEFI Video OpROM support. Please always update IPMI firmware to the latest version from the official website before updating BIOS. All versions tested on my own machine and everything is fine.

X9DRGQF3_424.zip

X9DRGQF3_903.zip

X9DRGQF3_C05.zip

• Thumbs Up 6

• 3 weeks later...
This board comes with four PCIe 3.0 x16 dual width slots for graphic cards and additional three PCIe slots for other expansion cards such as RAID controllers and sound cards. I ran GTX Titan quad SLi on this board. R 1.1 is the latest official BIOS for this board now and I modified it to enable nVidia SLi support as official BIOS comes without nVidia SLi support.

thx a lot! May i ask a small favor?i`d like a BIOS for X9DRG-QF with SLI-READY and Crossfire Ready(enable CFX and SLI in driver).~ thx~

Actually, most server grade board doesn't support CF & SLI at all. I have the same board with 4 Titans on it, but just for Folding, it is very steady. thanks to your mod bios, may be someday will use it for gaming to have fun. thanks a lot. Also, I'm thinking adding CF support into the Mod BIOS, may I ask what kind of software or tools did you use to add SLI into the BIOS?

hey cayman, it is good to see u there. may i ask a small favor? i ve send it by shot message in CHH.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Forgive me for asking this potentially "stupid" question, but does this mean that:

1. The default states for said BIOS options are set to "disabled" instead of "enabled" or
  2. did you alter access to these options within BIOS UI or
  3. did you remove the BIOS support for these in order to include the SLI support

?

Sorry for the late reply...

I just keep all things official, only adding SLi support.

UEFI Video OpROM and etc. are officially disabled by Supermicro, for unknown reasons.

That means these features come as disabled by default and cannot be enabled in BIOS setup menu.

I really want to re-enable these features but I don't have the ability to do so...

Hello, everyone.

I think about the Supermicro X9DRG-QF mainboard for my next system.

But unfortunately it did not support nVidia SLI from factory.

In use of 2, 3 or 4 graphicscards, as multiGPU

@Boomer:

Your modified BIOS version sounds good.

Could you post some screens of SLI support, system control, preferences and GPU-Z ect.

@cayman:

You uses the BIOS version from Boomer, have you compared it with the original BIOS?

Did you may notice some differences? crashes? Or is all working fine?

For an short answer i would thankfull.

Friendly greetings,

johannes

Hello, everyone.

I think about the Supermicro X9DRG-QF mainboard for my next system.

But unfortunately it did not support nVidia SLI from factory.

In use of 2, 3 or 4 graphicscards, as multiGPU

@Boomer:

Your modified BIOS version sounds good.

Could you post some screens of SLI support, system control, preferences and GPU-Z ect.

@cayman:

You uses the BIOS version from Boomer, have you compared it with the original BIOS?

Did you may notice some differences? crashes? Or is all working fine?

For an short answer i would thankfull.

Friendly greetings,

johannes

Hi,

I'm still top 10 in 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme,

3DMark Hall Of Fame : Fire Strike Extreme

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Looks like nice SLI Support.

@Boomer:

Can you tell more about your System?

Do you use the one of the SuperChassis 747 Series?

CPU´s? RAM? OperatingSystem? Windows 64bit?

Is it running stabel or some crashes?

I have asked Supermicro Support for CrossFire support.

The answer was:

- Hardware wise yes (Crossfire only requirement is 2pcs or more PCI-E x16 slots)- Only Crossfire is always supported as long as a mainboard has 2x PCI-E x16 slots with x16 link

- And if this is supported by the OS and drivers (of the VGA cards) then yes this is supported

- We have not tested this configuration so we cannot guarantee it will work but it should be supported.

So, there bothe multiGPU are supported.

AMD´s CrossFire with the standard BIOS and SLI with your version.

Friendly greetings,

johannes

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Looks like nice SLI Support.

@Boomer:

Can you tell more about your System?

Do you use the one of the SuperChassis 747 Series?

CPU´s? RAM? OperatingSystem? Windows 64bit?

Is it running stabel or some crashes?

I have asked Supermicro Support for CrossFire support.

The answer was:

- Hardware wise yes (Crossfire only requirement is 2pcs or more PCI-E x16 slots)- Only Crossfire is always supported as long as a mainboard has 2x PCI-E x16 slots with x16 link

- And if this is supported by the OS and drivers (of the VGA cards) then yes this is supported

- We have not tested this configuration so we cannot guarantee it will work but it should be supported.

So, there bothe multiGPU are supported.

AMD´s CrossFire with the standard BIOS and SLI with your version.

Friendly greetings,

johannes

I use Lian-Li PC-D8000 case because I installed 4 SSD + 24 HDD in my system.

CPU, RAM information can be seen in the 3DMark result.

Stability: Very stable, I run 24 * 7. If overclocked too much it will blue screen of course :D

Hello,

I will run CrossFireX on this Board.

During my search to run AMD CrossFireX on the Motherboard,

i asked Supermicro´s support (the answer can be found in the previous post)

but however, i wasn´t satisfied with these statements of the supermicro support.

So i asked AMD´s support what prerequisites would needed for CrossFireX.

The answer was: yes it should going, i think i would try it for my own.

Friendly greetings,

johannes<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply...

No problem ... As you can see I haven't been around for a while myself.

I just keep all things official, only adding SLi support.

UEFI Video OpROM and etc. are officially disabled by Supermicro, for unknown reasons.

That means these features come as disabled by default and cannot be enabled in BIOS setup menu.

I really want to re-enable these features but I don't have the ability to do so...

Thanks for clearing that up.

As follow up: Do you intend to do a similar fix for the current F3_903 revision of the BIOS for that board?

[edit] ~hmm~ Seems like my Cache-settings sucked ... I could have sworn that yesterday the posting on page 1 didn't include the download link for the F3 version ...

• 1 month later...

Hi boomer I'm divnstud, I'm in the top 10 under the normal preset in firestrike. I just ordered this mobo for a new build I'm doing and stumbled onto your thread man! Great work :) can't wait to try your bios out. Say we should chat online sometime man love to hear more about your build or builds

Scott

I forgot to ask but what cpus are you running Boomer? Will your 903 ver support the E5-2697 v2 Ivy Bridge cpu? Thanks[h=1][/h]

• 2 weeks later...
X9DRGQF3_424.zip is the R 2.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

X9DRGQF3_903.zip is the latest R 3.0 BIOS with nVidia SLi support.

Note that these two BIOS versions disable UEFI Video OpROM support. All versions tested on my own machine and everything is fine.

Hi Boomer,

Are your 4 Titans still running ok with current NV drivers and latest Supermicro BIOS 3a?

I have 4 Titans and the X9DRG-QF, but can only get the two cards attached to CPU1 to work (CPU1 Slot2, CPU1 Slot4). With original R 1.0 BIOS, I had 4 AMD 7970's running OpenCL fine. Then updated IPMI firmware, loaded BIOS R 3.0. and started adding Titans. With either 1 or 2 cards (in CPU1 Slot2 and CPU1 Slot4), everything was perfect. But when I added the 3rd Titan into CPU2 Slot6 (connected to CPU2), any CUDA calls to this 3rd card caused instant BSOD. Same with 4th card in CPU2 Slot8. Funny thing was, the other two cards (attached to CPU1) still ran any CUDA code fine.

Supermicro tech support thought BIOS R 3.0a would help, but now with 4 cards, no cuda calls work. Once I take out the cards attached to CPU2, all is good. Using Win7 x64, NV driver 332.21, 128 GB DDR3.

You mention "disable UEFI Video OpROM support". Do you think the UEFI BIOS in Titan is causing my problem? X9DRG is certified for quad GK110, but that's the non-UEFI Tesla...

System runs beautifully with two Titans in slots on CPU1. Any ideas why I can't get all four to work? BIOS setting for > 4GB decoding is enabled.

thanks!!

Nigel

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me what version of BIOS this board originally comes with?

The manual says:

For Intel E5-2600(v2) processor support, BIOS version 3.0 or

above is required.

on almost every single page, but the Einsteins who wrote the manual forgot to mention what BIOS is actually on it.

I don't have any E5-2600 v1 lying around. If I buy this motherboard, and it doesn't have BIOS 3.0, I'm screwed?

This situation is not new; give it a try first. Some motherboards can boot with unidentified CPUs and give you a warning, so you can flash newer BIOS; other motherboards refuse to boot with unidentified CPUs. If you face the latter one, you must get a compatible CPU, flash the latest BIOS, and switch to the CPU you want. Also, you don't need two CPUs for this motherboard to boot.

Can anyone tell me what version of BIOS this board originally comes with?

The manual says:

on almost every single page, but the Einsteins who wrote the manual forgot to mention what BIOS is actually on it.

I don't have any E5-2600 v1 lying around. If I buy this motherboard, and it doesn't have BIOS 3.0, I'm screwed?

Pleased to report that clearing a Win7 registry setting allowed all four Titans to run as normal.

@nnunn/Nigel: could you specify what registry key needed to be changed? Got the same symptoms with Titans only working when attached to CPU1. Can you give a hint what CUDA tools you use to verify whether they're all working?

@Boomer: good to see your latest bios patches for the X9DRG-QF. The bios devs at Supermicro are probably pretty busy with the upcoming platform/mainboards. Thx!