Guide: DSDT Override, Simultaneous iGPU + dGPU + eGPU

Please ask for support in the main DSDT Override or DIY eGPU Experiences Thread.

I have been out of the eGPU realm for too long to provide adequate support.

Here is a guide to performing a DSDT override with hopefully less misery, and setting up your computer to have your iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU working at the same time! Oh boy this is going to be fun.

This is my system specs (Fujitsu T901):

i7-2620M

16GB RAM

NVS 4200M

GTX 660 Ti

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Now it begins..

Disconnect your eGPU until I say so.

If you can, you should perform a DSDT override. The method shown in the official thread was really hard at

How to perform a DSDT override:

Spoiler

Get the 'DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win.7z' here:

DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win.7z

(source: olarila.com • View topic - DSDT editor and patcher) I included the asl.exe file required as well to the zip in with the program's folder.

1. Run DSDT Editor.bat

2. File -> Extract DSDT

3. Wait a bit, then click 'Device PCI0' - it should be just after your Processor.

4. Scroll down until you see your DWordMemory stuff, go to the bottom of this list.

5. At the bottom add:

0x0000000000000000, // Granularity
0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum
0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum
0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset
0x00000001F0000000, // Length
,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

6. I made it look nice and pretty after pasting that in (made it match).

(These next steps are optional I think, I have no idea if they are necessary, but I did them.)

o1. IASL -> Compile (or hit F5)

o2. Fix errors if you have any.

(Back to important stuff.)

7. File -> Save DSL as..

(I named mine dsdtoverride.dsl - I will use this name for future steps - I would put this file in the DSDT program directory with asl.exe and iasl.exe)

8. Close the DSDT editor.

9. Open up command prompt (maybe as admin? probably a good idea).

10. Go to where you saved your dsdtoverride.dsl (in command prompt).

11. In command prompt run:

iasl dsdtoverride.dsl

(Make sure the previous command made a .aml file. It may have made the name as dsdtoverride.aml, but mine was dsdt.aml)

12. Then run

asl /loadtable dsdt.aml

Reboot and check for a 'Large Memory' section in Device Manager -> Resources by Connection -> Memory

post-6146-14494995136988_thumb.png

See the official DSDT override post for more info: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post102517

Now for the fun part........

• Disconnect your eGPU
  • Uninstall ALL (ALL MEANS ALL) (dGPU included!!!) Nvidia drivers (keep the Intel graphics driver)
  • Use Driver Sweeper and check all the Nvidia options, run, reboot, turn off computer -- don't install the driver for the dGPU yet
  • Connect eGPU and go to Setup 1.x
  • Set your eGPU port to G2 (assuming your have an adapter that supports G2, and your computer as well - if not, then skip setting the port to G2)
  • dGPU off
  • 32-bitA compaction for iGPU eGPU
  • chainload to your OS
  • Windows may yell at you to reboot due to hardware changes, don't quite yet
  • Check device manager, you might (I did) have error 43
  • Attempt to install the latest Nvidia drivers for you eGPU -- still don't install drivers for your dGPU

If your lucky, it will install, if not:

• shutdown/reboot
  • Setup 1.x
  • do the same as before (dGPU off and such)
  • Attempt to install the Nvidia drivers again for your eGPU
  • After a few hours of fiddling around, you should get them installed
  • (keep your dGPU off this whole time)
  • ONLY AFTER YOU GET YOUR eGPU DRIVERS INSTALLED!!
  • (and as such, error 12 in device manager)
  • Go to Setup 1.x
  • Set port G2 on your eGPU port (again, if you support G2)
  • 32-bitA compaction for iGPU dGPU eGPU (or choose 36-bit if you performed a DSDT override)
  • chainload

You will probably get the reboot due to new devices again, but before you do, check device manager

Might have a generic VGA device or something instead of the NVS 4200M

Attempt to install the drivers for you dGPU now

If no luck, reboot and do the same Setup 1.x as before (with dGPU on)

Attempt to install dGPU drivers again

Reboot after you get your dGPU drivers installed

Keep the same Setup 1.x method

If your lucky you should have your iGPU dGPU and eGPU show up fine in device manager.

You can go to the Nvidia control panel and dedicate your dGPU as your PhysX processor, it works really well. (If you play stuff that supports PhysX and have an at least somewhat useful dGPU)

------------------------------------

I hope this helps.

^ over 20 hrs of fiddling around well spent ;-;

------------------------------------

HOW TO: Update drivers (probably):

Spoiler

1. Open device manager

2. Right-click your eGPU and click uninstall.

3. Reboot as you would normally if you had your eGPU all working happy.

4. You hopefully will have your eGPU show up in device manager after reboot (probably with error 43 ?)

At this point you should have your iGPU and dGPU working fine (no errors or yellow warning flags), and you eGPU showing up but with the yellow error flag)

5. Right-click your dGPU and click uninstall, and check the box to delete the driver as well.

IMPORTANT: Your dGPU should now NOT be in the list in device manager (DO NOT CLICK "Scan for hardware changes"). And your eGPU should still be in the list with the yellow error flag.

6. Extract your driver update (default to C:\NVIDIA\* ), close the auto run installer thing.

7. Right click your eGPU in device manager and click "Update Driver Software..."

8. Select browse computer for driver.

9. Select the NVIDIA folder created in step 6 (or since you probably have old drivers, go inside that folder and click the version of the driver you are trying to install.

10. It should start installing at this point, just wait for a bit.

11. Hopefully it installs correctly / no issue. Should ask to reboot, go ahead.

12. Upon reboot your eGPU should be working, but time to fix the dGPU (should have some generic drivers installed on boot.

13. Similar to the eGPU, for the dGPU select the 'Update Driver Software..." option in device manager and pick the current notebook driver for your dGPU.

14. Should install successfully and ask to reboot, go ahead.

15. Done.

Note:

You can check your driver version for both your eGPU and dGPU in the System Information dialogue box under 'Help' in the NVIDIA Control Panel (you can even check your Bus here too (PCI Express x1 Gen2 as shown for my eGPU).

Results:::::

iGPU + dGPU + eGPU

post-6146-14494995137147_thumb.png

dGPU PhysX dedicated:

post-6146-14494995137411_thumb.png

WEI:

post-6146-14494995137642_thumb.png

ALL THE MONITORS (and all different resolutions too <_<):

post-6146-14494995137885_thumb.jpg

Weeee~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out a video here:

• Thumbs Up 12

Is this better than using egpu with opt?

What angerthosenear has done here is the DSDT override to allow pci-e addressing of the both the dGPU+eGPU within Win7 allowing both to be simultaneously active. Some systems with low TOLUD wouldn't need the DSDT override to achieve the same result.

Having the NVidia dGPU active gives less NVidia eGPU functionality and DX9 performance in an Optimus-capable configuration

One important point about this configuration with the NVidia dGPU being active is given is it's Optimus functionality priority. This has two important side-effects relating to eGPU usage:

1. the eGPU doesn't get the x1 pci-e compression (x1.2Opt). DX9 apps such as 3dmark06 will see quite a dramatic performance degradation as a result. DX10 is affected too but to a lesser extend. DX11 seems unaffacted. Can see the difference in x1 2.0 versus x1.2Opt at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-12-5-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 where 3dmark06 sees 10978 and 19673 respectively.

2. The NVidia control panel optional "High-performance NVidia processor" against an app, as shown below, will use the dGPU rather than eGPU for acceleration:

NVidia-3.jpg

The good news is that it's simply a matter of adding a 'call dGPU off' into his Setup 1.x startup.bat to disable the dGPU and grant the eGPU the above functions. Setup 1.1x also has an experimental Video cards->dGPU on-demoted where I attempted to move the dGPU further down the PCI BUS to give the eGPU Optimus priority and still allow the dGPU for such functions like Physx. Unfortunately feedback so far suggesting the NVidia driver doesn't enumerate the devices that way. Would need NVidia to explain how their driver prioritizes GPUs for Optimus for us to then re-tweak such a configuration.

• Thumbs Up 2

Having the NVidia dGPU active gives less NVidia eGPU functionality and DX9 performance in an Optimus-capable configuration

2. The NVidia control panel optional "High-performance NVidia processor" against an app, as shown below, will use the dGPU rather than eGPU for acceleration:

Does setting my dGPU to be dedicated solely to PhysX solve this? I noticed when running FluidMark (PhysX testing):

dGPU dedicated to PhysX - FluidMark sometimes struggles (this is a lot of particles moving at once), but I can have the effects on without issue (since this is passed onto the eGPU

dGPU not dedicated to PhysX - PhysX is processed on the eGPU (and so are the effects), noticeably smoother calculations (since the GTX 660 Ti is far better than the NVS 4200M)

FluidMark indicates what GPU is doing what.

I will try 3DMark09 and 3DMarkVantage and see what happens.

--

I have the dGPU demoted to 32-bit space while the iGPU and eGPU are in 36-bit space, I'm not sure if this helps with running stuff in DX9/10. The games I have been playing are DX11 anyways, so I'm not too worried about it.

--

Since the dGPU is dedicated to just PhysX, would the Opt link still be working between the iGPU and eGPU? I can see that it is a 1.2x link in GPU-Z, where would I check for Optimus?

Oh boy, that was a fun slew of sitting watching benchmarks run.

For some reason I cannot get Vantage to work worth squat.

I ran each test with stock clocks (eGPU clocks).

I ran 3DMark06, 3DMark11, and the new 3DMark. For each, I tested with dGPU dedicated to PhysX, CPU for PhysX (with dGPU on), and dGPU off (CPU for PhysX).

This is certainly all over the place. I'll just post results and guess what it means...

3DMark06

dGPU PhysX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231 score: 10476 3DMarks

10476 - SM2.0 4597 - HDR/SM3.0 4247 - CPU 3232

CPU PhysX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231 score: 10399 3DMarks

10399 - SM2.0 4536 - HDR/SM3.0 4244 - CPU 3206

dGPU off: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231 score: 14052 3DMarks

14052 - SM2.0 6048 - HDR/SM3.0 8146 - CPU 2580

3DMark11

dGPU PhysX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231 score: P5503 3DMarks

P5503 - Graphics 6908 - Physics 3376 - Combined 3486

CPU PhysX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231 score: P5490 3DMarks

P5490 - Graphics 6899 - Physics 3372 - Combined 3455

dGPU off: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231 score: P5131 3DMarks

P5131 - Graphics 6944 - Physics 2835 - Combined 2945

3DMark

dGPU PhysX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231

Ice Storm 73773 - Cloud Gate 8913 - Fire Strike 3714

CPU PhysX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231

Ice Storm 73937 - Cloud Gate 8859 - Fire Strike 3725

dGPU off: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231

Ice Storm 75153 - Cloud Gate 9020 - Fire Strike 3701

-----------------

I can only come up with the conclusion that it really matters what you will be running. Since I run a lot of DX11 and PhysX applications, it is more optimal for me to have the dGPU enabled and running as PhysX. Having the dGPU on but not to set PhysX doesn't seem very beneficial. If you run DX9 applications it is certainly in your best interest to have the dGPU disabled. It is mainly a personal preference thing.

-----------------

For the leaderboard, I achieved this score through some overclocking:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231 score: P5762 3DMarks

P5762 - Graphics 7469 - Physics 3422 - Combined 3415

Thank you for posting these. THe 14062 3dmark06 result is with the dGPU off is way lower than the others. We can see that there the CPU result is 2582 whereas the prior tests have it > 3200. That means the pci-e compression isn't working at full performance.

Try redoing the 3dmark06 test with dGPU off again and if necessary set the power profile of your system to High Performance. With your CPU running at > 3200 I'd expect to see a 3dmark06 of ~18k for your i7-2620M 2.7 + GTX660Ti.

Can you also do a RE5-var-dx9-1280x800 test too with and without the dGPU on? That would give a clear indicator of real-world performance DX9 gaming performance difference with and without the pci-e compression (x1.2Opt) engaged.

Thank you for posting these. THe 14062 3dmark06 result is with the dGPU off is way lower than the others. We can see that there the CPU result is 2582 whereas the prior tests have it > 3200. That means the pci-e compression isn't working at full performance.

Try redoing the 3dmark06 test with dGPU off again and if necessary set the power profile of your system to High Performance. With your CPU running at > 3200 I'd expect to see a 3dmark06 of ~18k for your i7-2620M 2.7 + GTX660Ti.

Can you also do a RE5-var-dx9-1280x800 test too with and without the dGPU on? That would give a clear indicator of real-world performance DX9 gaming performance difference with and without the pci-e compression (x1.2Opt) engaged.

I seem to have an issue when running 36-bit compaction after setting the dGPU off. I ran the test without explicitly running compaction in Setup 1.2x. I will try one of the 32-bit compactions and try again. My computer is always set to High Performance. Yeah I thought that result was a bit odd.

I'll give it a whirl. Is there a DX11 / PhysX benchmark that is gaming focused you would like me to test as well?

I seem to have an issue when running 36-bit compaction after setting the dGPU off. I ran the test without explicitly running compaction in Setup 1.2x. I will try one of the 32-bit compactions and try again. My computer is always set to High Performance. Yeah I thought that result was a bit odd.

I'll give it a whirl. Is there a DX11 / PhysX benchmark that is gaming focused you would like me to test as well?

Do a dGPU[off] prior to compaction will not get a result or give errors. Instead, do a ignore[dGPU], then your PCI compaction, then dGPU[off] as a workaround. Both my writeups below include a DX11 set of tests if you want something to compare against:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870-th05-%40-x2-2-0-a.html#post42483

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-12-5-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197

I've been downloading (and still am) the RE5 benchmark since I replied to your post. I forgot to note in my scores / writeup. I performed all this testing with my full hookup of monitors. Internal + external connected to laptop, and 4 monitors connected to eGPU. I'm sure this hurt the score somewhat.

I will post results from some more testing in probably the next 2hrs.

2hrs

.... More like 2 days....

I still cannot have iGPU + eGPU compaction without the dGPU. Even with using the dGPU ignore, compaction, dGPU off. Setup 1.2 just breaks. No idea. I tried a nvidia driver update (the 320.xxx beta) DON'T DO THAT. Black screen on boot, with dGPU off, video playback becomes a game of watching squares. Had the fun of re-installing drivers.

I ran the RE5 Benchmark though. 130 fps average if I recall correctly. TBH I kinda forgot.

Any other thoughts on why I cannot compact with dGPU [ingore] or [off] ? Sometimes with [ignore] I cannot boot at all. Get a black screen / have to kill the system. Funny how iGPU + dGPU + eGPU is easier for me lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a guide to performing a DSDT override with hopefully less misery, and setting up your computer to have your iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU working at the same time! Oh boy this is going to be fun.

Now it begins..

If you can, you should perform a DSDT override. The method shown in the official thread was really hard... so I did it another way that is MUCH easier (and is good about fixing errors).

(source: olarila.com • View topic - DSDT editor and patcher) I included the asl.exe file required as well to the zip in with the program's folder.

1. Run DSDT Editor.bat

2. File -> Extract DSDT

3. Wait a bit, then click 'Device PCI0' - it should be just after your Processor.

4. Scroll down until you see your DWordMemory stuff, go to the bottom of this list.

5. At the bottom add:

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

(These next steps are optional I think, I have no idea if they are necessary, but I did them.)

o2. Fix erros if you have any.

7. File -> Save DSL as..

(I named mine dsdtoverride.dsl - I will use this name for future steps - I would put this file in the DSDT program directory with asl.exe and iasl.exe)

iasl dsdtoverride.dsl

(Make sure the previous command made a .aml file. It may have made the name as dsdtoverride.aml, but mine was dsdt.aml)

12. Then run

asl /loadtable dsdt.aml

Reboot and check for a 'Large Memory' section in Device Manager -> Resources by Connection -> Memory

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7310[/ATTACH]

See the official DSDT override post for more info:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#post27379

I'm stuck after saving the .dsl file. I'm able to load the dsl in cmd but thats not the point right? and if I put iasl in front of it I get a message like: is not recognized as an internal or external assignment, program or batch file (something like that I'm dutch)

Also had to ask my friend google how cmd commands work, I'm no expert lol..

Never mind I had the dsl file in the wrong directory so it wasn't loading aml..

Man I don't know who you guys are and what I just did exactly, but it worked! no error 12 anymore!

You guys must be really smart and stuff, because I have a hard time wrapping my head around this.

But I guess thats why I'm a mechanical engineer xD

I will now enter 'the fun part' because I need amd drivers on a nvidea based laptop..

But I guess thats why I'm a mechanical engineer xD

I will now enter 'the fun part' because I need amd drivers on a nvidea based laptop..

I'm a mechanical engineer too lol!

I don't any experience with an AMD eGPU so you would have to look elsewhere to get info on that. Glad you got rid of the error 12 though, do you have error 43 now (no-driver)?

haha ok! thats a funny fact.

I got it to work this evening.

Installed the nvidea drivers, put the pc in sleep, start the egpu, wake the pc up, pc searches installed ati drivers, turn of the nvidea card in windows, external screen pops up.

Only bad thing is my external soundcard doesn't work anymore.. strange.

And I definitely need a x2E link because I can't run farcry 3 on 1600x1200 very high dx9 with a radeon hd 7870 iceq turbo.

Now to figure out how to make the laptop see the card while booting.

haha ok! thats a funny fact.

I got it to work this evening.

Installed the nvidea drivers, put the pc in sleep, start the egpu, wake the pc up, pc searches installed ati drivers, turn of the nvidea card in windows, external screen pops up.

Only bad thing is my external soundcard doesn't work anymore.. strange.

And I definitely need a x2E link because I can't run farcry 3 on 1600x1200 very high dx9 with a radeon hd 7870 iceq turbo.

Now to figure out how to make the laptop see the card while booting.

Is your external soundcard connected over USB? Mine is and it works fine. More info on that?

Is your eGPU running on a Gen1 link atm? Setting it to Gen2 helps significantly. I would guess you have the PE4L v2.1 of some sort.

Yes the external audio device is plugged in usb. its a native instruments komplete audio 6. When I activate the egpu my pc seems to loose a bunch of hardware including the external audio device. Also my (usb) mouse and keyboard stop working for a second. Most of the ports turn back on but the audio remains gone. its not detected anymore.

I have a PE4H which is a more stable plate to put the card on and its 16x.

Not sure what gen1 and gen2 is all about.

I still don't have setup 1.x so I'm only running the card at the lowest performance right now.

My card is a bit overkill and I won't get everything out of it, but doing it this way I have more time to save money for a complete gaming rig. Also most standard gaming rigs don't even have that great cards.

Another thing, can I free my wifi (port 2) with software to perform a 2xE optimization using port 1 2 3 4? port 4 is the mxm port of the dgpu.

Also my pc is really upset, a lot of stuff is not working and some games just won't start. Hitman absolution for example just doesn't start at all.. sometimes my screen turns off and back on.. strange stuff..

(btw this forum thinks I'm a terrorist or something logs me out ever 2 milli seconds)

I normally have to unplug and re-plug the USB devices cause they like to drop after compaction and whatnot. You are loosing a lot of performance by having the PE4H since it does not support Gen2 (PCIe 2.0 vs Gen1 which is PCIe 1.0). If you can use all 4 ports that is a huge plus and actually one of the better options overall.

@Tech Inferno Fan would be the one to talk to in this case. I don't have experience with this.

Thank you, you are right the newest version of the PE4H v3.2 also supports gen 2 btw. I have 2.4 so in fact thats half the speed :o.. I know nando knows a lot but I dont want to bother to much. The info is somewhere on this forum so I should find it.. on the other hand I think if my system works great it would be good info. Because not a lot of people try ati with nvidea and have the same laptop and a gen 3 graphics card.

Thanks for the help, I might reinstall windows its really neccesary (its a mess) but I dont want to re-install all my stuff haha..

Any other thoughts on why I cannot compact with dGPU [ingore] or [off] ? Sometimes with [ignore] I cannot boot at all. Get a black screen / have to kill the system. Funny how iGPU + dGPU + eGPU is easier for me lol.

Given that case, you can try a iGPU+dGPU+eGPU compaction, force iGPU+eGPU into 32-bit, then do a dGPU[off]. That will then assign the iGPU+eGPU into 32-bit PCI space and make the DSDT override unnecessary. THough since you do have the DSDT override you can also try without the forcing 32-bit of the iGPU+eGPU.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my system specs (Fujitsu T901):

i7-2620M

16GB RAM

NVS 4200M

GTX 660 Ti

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Now it begins..

If you can, you should perform a DSDT override. The method shown in the official thread was really hard... so I did it another way that is MUCH easier (and is good about fixing errors).

1. Run DSDT Editor.bat

2. File -> Extract DSDT

5. At the bottom add:

o2. Fix erros if you have any.

7. File -> Save DSL as..

iasl dsdtoverride.dsl

12. Then run

asl /loadtable dsdt.aml

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7310[/ATTACH]

Hello angerthosenear and Tech Inferno Fan,

Just wanted to say that I have a Sony Vaio VPCS12 (S series) notebook and I was getting the Code 12 message constantly. After guidance from Tech Inferno Fan to run the DSDT Override (as one of my options) that fixed my issue. So thanks Tech Inferno Fan for the advice and thanks angerthosenear for the simplified instructions to perform it :D

Cheers

Martin

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello angerthosenear and Tech Inferno Fan,

Just wanted to say that I have a Sony Vaio VPCS12 (S series) notebook and I was getting the Code 12 message constantly. After guidance from Tech Inferno Fan to run the DSDT Override (as one of my options) that fixed my issue. So thanks Tech Inferno Fan for the advice and thanks angerthosenear for the simplified instructions to perform it :D

Cheers

Martin

Glad the guide helped you. Have fun with your eGPU goodness!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to understand the setup/configuration and the benchmark scores, but after going over and over again, I still have some questions.

So, I assume the desire was to use the dGPU for PhysX, and to have Optimus render the eGPU on the iGPU.

So what would happen, I mean how would the score look like if you give up Optimus and render the benchmark on the external display connected to the eGPU?

Also, I have one idea...

What if you disable the dGPU from Device Manager, then start a DirectX demo to engage Optimus between eGPU and iGPU, then re-enable the dGPU for PhysX, start a real game and then you close the DirectX demo? Could that work?

I tried to understand the setup/configuration and the benchmark scores, but after going over and over again, I still have some questions.

So, I assume the desire was to use the dGPU for PhysX, and to have Optimus render the eGPU on the iGPU.

So what would happen, I mean how would the score look like if you give up Optimus and render the benchmark on the external display connected to the eGPU?

Also, I have one idea...

What if you disable the dGPU from Device Manager, then start a DirectX demo to engage Optimus between eGPU and iGPU, then re-enable the dGPU for PhysX, start a real game and then you close the DirectX demo? Could that work?

I have been doing all the rendering on an external display, so the information is passing through the eGPU.

Hmmm, that is a really interesting thought, I'm not sure if it would throw an error at me or not. I guess I'll give it a whirl tonight. Might not do anything at all.

--

Edit:

I already have Optimus compression as shown in my GPU-Z window. PCI-e x1 2.0. derp. There is no reason to disable the dGPU and re-enable it again.

• 3 months later...
Given that case, you can try a iGPU+dGPU+eGPU compaction, force iGPU+eGPU into 32-bit, then do a dGPU[off]. That will then assign the iGPU+eGPU into 32-bit PCI space and make the DSDT override unnecessary. THough since you do have the DSDT override you can also try without the forcing 32-bit of the iGPU+eGPU.

I tried this again after updating my video drivers and I still cannot get my computer to boot with the dGPU off. Tried every combination of compaction and dGPU [ignore] and dGPU [off]. Hoping to figure this out to see why my scores are so low for the benchmarks.

What else would affect this? I think I got the thermal throttling issue mostly resolved so I'm guessing it is something software wise.

Anything else in Setup 1.2 or in the BIOS I should look for/change?

--

Also in Setup 1.2, it asks for devices to involve in compaction, which to have in 36bit, and which to have in 32bit. Suggestions for this? Getting to the point of too many options for me to try them all.