The M18x is released!

• Founder
Well that just means the screen is larger as expected. The dimensions of the actual notebook are barely any bigger than R3. ;)

Barely any bigger ? LOL!

Keep telling that to yourself :)

• Founder

Indeed I was referring to the R2 compared to the M18x based on Ashtefere's post, so I also contributed to the confusion cause Brian mentioned the R3 on his post.

• Founder
My comparisons were to the r2 - the r3 is significantly smaller than the r2/18. The r2 and the 18 are similar in size.

People should learn to read :P

-Ash

Indeed I was referring to the R2 compared to the M18x based on Ashtefere's post, so I also contributed to the confusion cause Brian mentioned the R3 on his post.

oh yeah, i was referring to Brian's comparison to the R3.

• Founder

I had the R3 in front of me for 3 weeks, believe me, it doesn't appear much smaller than the M17x-R2 in person. It's not some tiny slim machine, it's a monster as well. The biggest difference is the R3 is much lighter due to it's plastic + rubber construction. It's not like I'm only bringing this up now after I've ordered an M18x, Stam and Michael heard me complain about the M17x-R3's build quality over the course of the time I owned it. Awesome system for those that want a portable DTR that you can use on your lap but just not for me.

For reference:

Computer Model

Alienware M18x

Dimensions

Height

Front

53.0 mm (2.09 inches)

Back

54.20 mm (2.13 inches)

Width

436.0 mm (17.17 inches)

Depth

322.0 mm (12.68 inches)

Weight with 12-cell battery and optical drive (starting at)

5.41 kg (11.93 lb)

Computer Model

Alienware M17x-R3

Dimensions

Height

Front

44.5 mm (1.75 inches)

Back

45.0 mm (1.77 inches)

Width

410.0 mm (16.14 inches)

Depth

304.0 mm (11.97 inches)

Weight with 9-cell battery and optical drive (starting at)

4.26 kg (9.40 lb)

It's wider with more depth as expected for a system with an 18.4" display and weighs more. The most important variable is thickness and that is only 0.3" which is not much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hehe, I just found the M18x page on the Swiss Alienware site, even though it's not linked in the main page yet :D

But that's about all I can laugh about... starting price is $2900, 6970m CF costs you $1000 and the 2920xm will set you back $1980... insane!! Hopefully they lower the prices before they officially release it, these prices are crazy, even for Switzerland, especially the 2920xm.

Here's the link: Swiss M18x configurator page

Edit: Prices are official...

Edited by svl7

• Founder

Hopefully those are just placeholder prices much like the Crossfire prices were in the US. If not, then AW won't make a single sale in switzerland.

Hopefully those are just placeholder prices much like the Crossfire prices were in the US. If not, then AW won't make a single sale in switzerland.

I just checked again, prices are official, they only forget to link it from the Swiss Alienware site, the Dell site links directly to the configurator... :(

• Founder
I just checked again, prices are official, they only forget to link it from the Swiss Alienware site, the Dell site links directly to the configurator... :(

That sucks, well for those that know someone in Canada or US, I suppose they could resort to importing.

Hehe, I just found the M18x page on the Swiss Alienware site, even though it's not linked in the main page yet :D

But that's about all I can laugh about... starting price is $2900, 6970m CF costs you $1000 and the 2920xm will set you back $1980... insane!! Hopefully they lower the prices before they officially release it, these prices are crazy, even for Switzerland, especially the 2920xm.

Here's the link: Swiss M18x configurator page

Edit: Prices are official...

They are crazy, order from Canada ... $150 for Crossfire 6970m.

• Founder
How much did you sell it for? I am now thinking of selling mine but I am not sure I want to lose $1000.00 on it as it is a new machine almost... :)

Sold it for $1930 shipped but got raped with paypal fees + $17 shipping materials cost. Fortunately the buyer paid for his own overnight shipping. I purchased it for $2050 with a razer orochi mouse included. So it wasn't a huge loss.

WOW that was great. So you sold it through Ebay? If you want to PM me on how to protect myself to sell such expensive items through Ebay that would be great. I've never done it for a PC and I would not want to get ripped off.

• Founder

I sold it on NBR to a very reputable buyer. Normally I don't accept paypal unless I know the person buying it has an established reputation, that is the best protection you can afford yourself. As for eBay, I stopped using them for high value items a long time ago, just don't trust anyone there.

Did you get your m18X? Inquiring minds wonder about it,

I will be getting it, its a matter of time now. I am waiting on the return box and labels in the mail, then I am ordering that beast. Can't wait to overclock the 2920 and dual 6970M!

Australian alienware website just came up with pricing. Its fucking hilarious.

Dell AU is even greedier than USA.

Starting price is $3299 AUD.

Yeah, fuck that.

-Ash

Hi Alex.

I have been waiting for the M18x, and was using the Dell USA site to guage pricing before release.

You see, because the australian dollar is quite a lot higher than the US dollar at the moment, I expected dell to have fairer pricing with the m18x when it was released in australia.

Obviously, this is not the case.

As you can see here: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dkcwkr1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=alienware-m18x

The USA pricing for the same laptop is $2269 USD (only $2101 AUD!!!)

In australia it is $3299 AUD. This is nearly $1200 more for the exact same laptop, shipped from the exact same global location (malaysia was the last place I had my m17x shipped form).

I know, personally, that the price to ship the laptop to australia is the same or less than it is to USA.

I know that the AUD is higher than the USD.

What I dont know, is what costs the extra $1200? Was the crate made of gold? Did an olympic swimmer drag it along the ocean by a golden string in their teeth?

I can order this price through a USA drop shipper (as I did for my m14x) and only pay a very small price in customs duties. For the m18x this would be less than $200. I know dell must also pay this - so that leaves the extra $1000 unaccounted for.

I am sorry, but I cannot buy any more products from Dell Australia. They have demonstrated unrivaled greed for no reason, and I am not going to feed that business model. Instead, I will be placing this order through Dell USA.

Thank you for letting me know, though Alex. Feel free to forward this along to your management so they can understand customer sentiment.

I will also be letting other australian users of cheaper alternatives, as it is harmful to australian consumers to feed this kind of business model.

-Jonathan

Thats the email I sent the rep who notified me. Cant wait for the response!

-Ash

Edited by Ashtefere
  • Thumbs Up 1