OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Order Status Thread

Showed up today as picked up in city of industry CA and delivery is slated for the 25th? Why???? The laptop is already in California, are they actually gonna move my laptop through 3 states before they deliver it to me? That sounds like retarded.

• Founder

Congrats to those that have had their orders ship out! Enjoy your systems and when you have time, give us some of your pics + impressions.

• Founder
Order is delivered and im stuck at work hunting down an r22 leak in a -10 degree freezer. Booooo

Well at least when you'r done you'll have a nice M18x waiting for ya! If you get time, can you check both GPU temps with me after running furmark (all settings checked) for about 10 minutes? Thanks!

Yeah let us know what you think ejustice. I am waiting for my credit on my account to clear and have a order set aside. M18x, 2920xm, 4gbDDR1333, Xfire 6970M, 2x750gb 7.2k rpm,Blu-Ray, WiHd + receiver, 5.1 Sound +Sound Blaster, Windows Home Premium, 4-year advanced warranty + Bose Speaker Monitors (gift for brother), M18x Back Pack, Intuos 4 Small Tablet, TactX Headset, TactX Keyboard (gift for girlfriend), Fuji Camera 14mp+30X optical zoom

• Thumbs Up 1

Get home and she is waiting for me. I open her up. feels way better than the 17xr3. substantial, but not as heavy as i thought she would be. feels like quality. I turn her on and it asks me to name my new system. i look at the clock 6:00..... Your name is... Rapture lol

why the whole world was freaking out about me getting my laptop is beyond me...

first thing installed is google chrome and post here. Brian ill install here in a moment and let ya know how it goes. I havent even looked it over enough to see if she is damage free. heck not even plugged into the wall left and been dinking around an hour lol 2 hours remaining!

my beast have landed after waiting close to 12 hours of waiting for the FedEx guy to show up but it was worth it. This machine is massive, even compared to the M17x-R1 I will upload pics later and no I didn't do a unboxing video. To many people did(points at Brian)

Question about specs -

I'm ordering my avenger in the next couple of weeks, very excited!

So much so that I can't decide what to get....

Background: I am in the process of upgrading my desktop to 2600K, 580's SLI, blah blah etc. I'm an obsessive overclocker/gamer, but I've never owned a gaming laptop before. With my rig at about 30kg (65 pounds) due to watercooling and far too many HDD's, this seemed like a good time. I've ruled out all single GPU versions as they can't do what I desire, which is everything maxed, all the time, on every game. So it came down to x7200 or M18, which the M18 handily won due to actually being portable and the warranty coverage overseas without needing to mail it back stateside.

So, basically, I can't decide what spec to get. The money isn't the question, it's more are the upgrades actually worth it? Will they enhance my experience? Help out at resale time? Etc.

To put it simply, I CAN afford all these upgrades, but SHOULD I (in your opinion). Thanks guys!

Base spec I would order -

Intel® Core™ i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6970M - AMD CrossFireX™

Kingston HyperX 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2DIMM ...

Crucial M4 (C400) SATA3 6Gb/s 128GB SSD - INSTALLED BY ...

500GB 7200RPM HDD - INSTALLED BY HIDevolution

Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO Techno ...

WirelessHD Transmitter

Internal High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio with SoundBlaster MB Software

3 Year Advanced Service Plan

$3632 AU

Loaded -

Intel® Core™ i7 2920XM, 2.5GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)

Kingston HyperX 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1866MHz (4DIM ...

256GB RAID 0 (2 x Crucial M4 (C400) SATA3 6Gb/s 128GB S ...

Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

WirelessHD Transmitter AND receiver

$5069 AU

Those upgrades seem to easily justify the $1400, It's just my brain goes "$5000 laptop WTF!!!!"

I'm getting too caught up in everything, thought I'd see if you guys could help.

Sorry for the massive post. :(

• Founder

IMO basic spec that you got is the way to go. Those other upgrades won't give you too much added performance vs the cost added.

• Founder
Question about specs -

I'm ordering my avenger in the next couple of weeks, very excited!

So much so that I can't decide what to get....

Background: I am in the process of upgrading my desktop to 2600K, 580's SLI, blah blah etc. I'm an obsessive overclocker/gamer, but I've never owned a gaming laptop before. With my rig at about 30kg (65 pounds) due to watercooling and far too many HDD's, this seemed like a good time. I've ruled out all single GPU versions as they can't do what I desire, which is everything maxed, all the time, on every game. So it came down to x7200 or M18, which the M18 handily won due to actually being portable and the warranty coverage overseas without needing to mail it back stateside.

So, basically, I can't decide what spec to get. The money isn't the question, it's more are the upgrades actually worth it? Will they enhance my experience? Help out at resale time? Etc.

To put it simply, I CAN afford all these upgrades, but SHOULD I (in your opinion). Thanks guys!

Base spec I would order -

Intel® Core™ i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Kingston HyperX 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2DIMM ...

Crucial M4 (C400) SATA3 6Gb/s 128GB SSD - INSTALLED BY ...

500GB 7200RPM HDD - INSTALLED BY HIDevolution

Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

WirelessHD Transmitter

$3632 AU

Loaded -

Intel® Core™ i7 2920XM, 2.5GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)

Kingston HyperX 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1866MHz (4DIM ...

256GB RAID 0 (2 x Crucial M4 (C400) SATA3 6Gb/s 128GB S ...

Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

WirelessHD Transmitter AND receiver

$5069 AU

Those upgrades seem to easily justify the $1400, It's just my brain goes "$5000 laptop WTF!!!!"

I'm getting too caught up in everything, thought I'd see if you guys could help.

Sorry for the massive post. :(

Here's my opinion

Frankly, since there's seems to be a lockbit on the extreme CPU in m18x it's not worth bothering with the 2920XM for now, plus it's about 1000$ bump in price.

16 gigs of memory is redundant too imho unless u do some serious VM work or other memory intensive applications, for gaming 8 gigs is an overkill..

As for the SSD - i'd go for Vertex III 240 GB either MAXIO or not, doesn't really matter.

So to sum up, i'd go with the first config + instead of C400 put in the Vertex III 240GB (not 120, much slower).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

@hslovebird

How do you see those statuses ?

I ordered on 19 of may, on the order status page i see In Production and when i call in it says "Your order is in production and is currently in the build stage"

Where can i see those details ?

Michael I seen that before, if you click through the link they send you in your e-mail you will see that, if you go through the front of dell and click on check order status you will get a slight different page. Try it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Staring about 12 hours ago, a bunch of orders got cancelled/disappeared meaning that either the status page/automatic phone status will tell you that it can't find the order or it'll tell you it is cancelled.

Me and Brian have already contacted our reps and are trying to figure out what exactly happened there.

Meanwhile i suggest you check your orders too, and report here of course.

Stay tuned...

BTW Maybe our member [MENTION=239]Brian Taylor[/MENTION] can shed some light on the situation ?

Brian ?

EDIT: Seems like my order is reinstated now, and shows in production again both on the website and via the phone call.

[MENTION=5]Brian K.[/MENTION] check yours again... might be un-cancelled maybe ?

Edited by Michael

yea if you could get me your customer# I will see whats up and fix or get it to the right people to fix.

BrianTaylor, Great job offering to help Micheal. I will be ordering my M18 later this year and hope I get a jem right out of the box. It is nice to know that there is help on TI if not. Rep +1

• Guest unpinned this topic