alienware or origin?

Which would be the better system if both are the same specs but the Alienware running 7970m. Origin running 680m. What are your thoughts.

Alienware all the way the cooling is great so the support

• 2 weeks later...

Reason I started the thread. Is because I have a alienwaee r3 with a 6970m and a 2820. I really like the alienware design. I picked up a origin pro model for a great price. And it has a 680m and a 3830. Do you think its worth it and possible to swap the GPU and could from the two so u can keep the alienware and sell the origin. And will I lose any features.

I'd go with AW, because Origin cases look really old and bad (like 90's bad). I know looks aren't what you are mainly paying for, but who wants to be using a laptop that looks like it's from the 90's?

alienware because :

Build quality and head turning design

5 year warranty option with dell

alien lighting and customized nameplate still can't be matched

Easier to take apart and upgrade

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd say Alienware as I prefer the following:

1. Cooling (biggest priority for me with laptops)

2. Chassis design (cooling, disassembly, look/feel)

3. Support

4. Buy options, but most manufacturers have pretty good selections.

now this gen alienware is odm manufactured by compal plus foxconn.........dell, as a reseller, only care about sales and cost, so we see dell switch their odm from clevo(cost highest)>>quanta(1st cost down ability, but unable to odm sli/cf machine)>>flextronics(w850di=m17xr2 remarkable!)>>compal(wa870=m17xr3/r4 cost down to plastic case):emmersed:

Alienware if only for the luxurious feel of the new chassis. Trust me once you feel the material design you won't want to use anything else.

Some people honestly don't care for the looks though.

I'm happy if it just has a multi-colored keyboard.

Clevo/Sager generally has the best bang for the buck and while minimalist, still looks attractive IMO.

The latest line-up with the illuminated trackpad however looks fugly.

Some people honestly don't care for the looks though.

I'm happy if it just has a multi-colored keyboard.

Clevo/Sager generally has the best bang for the buck and while minimalist, still looks attractive IMO.

The latest line-up with the illuminated trackpad however looks fugly.

This. If it wasn't for the illuminated trackpad, I would have been much less hesitant to order mine. As it stands I'm looking at a 4800MQ or a 4900MQ, and either 2x120GB Intel 520 in Raid 0 or a 240GB Intel 520 (depending on CPU, due to budget). I'm also not entirely a fan of the Sentelic trackpad, since every other laptop I've owned dating back to about 2003 has had a Synaptics pad - and zero problems with it.

As for AW, if I'm in an academic setting, it is in my best interest to keep the laptop stealth. This way professors and prospective research partners don't have as much predisposition to assume I'm gaming when I'm actually note-taking / doing research.

• 2 weeks later...

Alienware all the way. You will get much easier disassembly and better cooling with AW. AW also lets you disassemble and upgrade your laptop yourself, which is so much cheaper than using their upgrades. This does not void the warranty either (unless you brake something and parts you fit comes with their own warranty and are not covered by AW). I did not have a chance to use the newest generation of AW and saw mixed reviews and impressions, but you really can not go wrong. I guess it comes down to money - how much extra do you need to spend for AW design (including not only looks and feel, but general architecture of the machine) and can you justify that expense considering you will have to live with it for at least 2-3 years. Later new GPU, CPU, SSD or something else will come out and eventually you might want to sell AW and get the new machine. That's another benefit of owning AW - you will surely get more for 3 years old AW than 3 years old Origin/Clevo/MSI etc.

Of course it depends the configuration you choose. If you go with the sames specs on both units, I would choose the Alienware over the Origin. I own the Alienware 18 fully loaded and it screams w quality. The build structure is as solid as they come. The fans and cooling system are extemely quitet even of under highest loads. Also, Having opened up the laptop, it seems very easy to disassemble for future upgrades. The Origin, which I have had the opportunity to use, reminds me of nothing more of a Clevo which own. I was not the least impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely go for the Alienware. Just a top notch quality feel to everything that they produce. It's true, there are cases every now and then where quality control may have slipped up but they are very far and in between. Also, Dell's customer service with AW products is top notch in my experience. Also, as some others here have said, AW systems are very easy to open yourself and keep it somewhat future proof. Sourcing new video cards that are compatible is easy, especially since you can pretty much buy any supporting hardware direct from dell. Not to mention, with AW's user base, there is no shortage of forums dedicated to alienware for tweaks and good advice.