Y500 GT650m and GT750m

Usraek

Well this is a little bit irritating. I've only had the laptop for about 3 weeks now and within those 3 weeks (after it took 3 weeks to ship it) they have juggled their models around a half dozen times on the Canadian Lenovo EPP site.

They keep offering the GT750m SLI models for around or less than what I paid for my GT650m + DVD + SLI + 170w. They're also now offering (more expensive) 650m models with 2 button touch pads, but that's another matter...

People are also now getting their 750m SLI models in the mail already, without the fuck-tonne of delays that mine had randomly.

I was content with my 650m model, but then, as I stated above, they're offering better models cheaper and with faster shipping, so now I'm wondering:

Do we know definitively what core the 750m is running?

I've seen a few bench marks for the 750m, but how do they compare to the 650m overclocked? (I've not OC'd mine fully yet, been too busy to test stability properly)

Can the 750m be overclocked using the batch file method, and how do those scores compare?

I'd like a solid outline to know if it's worth my time to send it back and get the newer model, after I've spent this much time battering it into a usable state software-wise. There's not really any point though if the 750m is just a higher binned chip with same core and not overclockable in any real major way compared to the 650m.

I'm finding it a bit hard to not just feel dicked around immediately after getting my new machine. I understand upgrades happen, but upgrades and price drops with better shipping and better configurations. They weren't even offering any SLI config in Canada when I bought mine, so I had to purchase the parts separately for more, and now it's available.

:chargrined:

At this point I think we can safely assume with 99% certainty that the GT 750M in the updated Y400 and Y500 is the same GK107 core with voltage and clock speed boosts. I'm perfectly happy with my 650M SLI system and I got a screaming deal on it. 959 USD for everything in the sig. :D I haven't had time to overclock this puppy properly yet but I'm sure it can meet or surpass the stock 750M performance and with an overvolt they're essentially even. I'm actually glad I have the older model because there's a lot more support for it out there such as svl7's wonderful BIOS mods and the ability to use the latest Nvidia drivers none of which you have if you get the updated model.

You can certainly return your current machine if you're unhappy with it and it's within the 21 days. I think after 21 days you have to pay a 15% restocking fee or they won't accept returns, can't remember which.

At this point I think we can safely assume with 99% certainty that the GT 750M in the updated Y400 and Y500 is the same GK107 core with voltage and clock speed boosts. I'm perfectly happy with my 650M SLI system and I got a screaming deal on it. 959 USD for everything in the sig. :D I haven't had time to overclock this puppy properly yet but I'm sure it can meet or surpass the stock 750M performance and with an overvolt they're essentially even. I'm actually glad I have the older model because there's a lot more support for it out there such as svl7's wonderful BIOS mods and the ability to use the latest Nvidia drivers none of which you have if you get the updated model.

You can certainly return your current machine if you're unhappy with it and it's within the 21 days. I think after 21 days you have to pay a 15% restocking fee or they won't accept returns, can't remember which.

Hmmm. Yeah, I saw that you got that deal in the other forums. I paid $1100 all together for Y500 w/ burner + 120w, extra GT650m, and 170w adapter. I feel alright with that as everything was deeply discounted when I bought, and I didn't get a lemon, it's just them dicking around that's making me annoyed.

I'm after the 21 days I suppose, but if I were really adamant I'm sure I could talk them into it. I should just sit back and forget about it and enjoy my machine, lol.

Where are you located? Did you need to pay taxes on in that price?

Hmmm. Yeah, I saw that you got that deal in the other forums. I paid $1100 all together for Y500 w/ burner + 120w, extra GT650m, and 170w adapter. I feel alright with that as everything was deeply discounted when I bought, and I didn't get a lemon, it's just them dicking around that's making me annoyed.

I'm after the 21 days I suppose, but if I were really adamant I'm sure I could talk them into it. I should just sit back and forget about it and enjoy my machine, lol.

Where are you located? Did you need to pay taxes on in that price?

Just be happy with what you have. :)

Yeah I live in California and had to pay like $80 of tax. Buying from Amazon would've been the same since they charge tax here and Lenovo's prices were way cheaper.

Don't worry Usraek,The Gt 750m is an overclock version of Gt650m but still Gt750m support latest opengl but I think that is not the problem for gamers LOl,Gt650m can easily overclock pass 1Ghz XD

Don't worry Usraek,The Gt 750m is an overclock version of Gt650m but still Gt750m support latest opengl but I think that is not the problem for gamers LOl,Gt650m can easily overclock pass 1Ghz XD

hope to be true. just purchased y500 with 650m soon after one week lenovo started selling the ones with 750m. Disappointed

Omg if i would known that definitely i might wait to get it.

If only overclocking is a difference i am happy to overclock...

Will someone clear on this?

is 750m still powerful than 650m(when clocked to same 750m speeds)??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

hope to be true. just purchased y500 with 650m soon after one week lenovo started selling the ones with 750m. Disappointed

Omg if i would known that definitely i might wait to get it.

If only overclocking is a difference i am happy to overclock...

Will someone clear on this?

is 750m still powerful than 650m(when clocked to same 750m speeds)??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

They would perform identically at the same clock speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
They would perform identically at the same clock speeds.

but you probably wont be able to overclock as high. if its the same hardware cause they usualy bin the imperfect chips into lower number names. fewer wasted chips from the manufacturing process.

but you probably wont be able to overclock as high. if its the same hardware cause they usualy bin the imperfect chips into lower number names. fewer wasted chips from the manufacturing process.

This is true, but at the moment, I don't think there is any way to overclock the 750m. (please correct me if I am wrong) But of course the 750ms have only been out for so long. So I suppose it won't affect the performance that much until an overclocking tool does come out for the 750m.

I pretty much just caved in and bought the old y500 with sli 650ms cause I had so much trouble trying to order from lenovo's website. Plus I hate waiting and it's been working fine for my needs (3d modeling)

I pretty much just caved in and bought the old y500 with sli 650ms cause I had so much trouble trying to order from lenovo's website. Plus I hate waiting and it's been working fine for my needs (3d modeling)

It's even worse when you're in a region that isn't directed served by lenovo.com and where Lenovo seems to think that selling a single SKU seems to be a good idea... I can only get my hands on a 650M SLI. I go abroad to a nearby country, and there I can only find the single-750M.

It's even worse when you're in a region that isn't directed served by lenovo.com and where Lenovo seems to think that selling a single SKU seems to be a good idea... I can only get my hands on a 650M SLI. I go abroad to a nearby country, and there I can only find the single-750M.
Damn, well atleast we're lucky that the 750m is just a higher clocked 650 ight? I'm trying to flash my bios and do all that so that I dont regret buying this thing. It's running beautifully but a few extra frames here and there could be nice. The only place I found with the 750 was the website, they havent even stocked any retail stores with it i dont think :(

• 2 weeks later...

Lenovo is preparing to launch the new models of the Y series anyways. The Y500 with GT750M is most likely just a minor change.

Here's the link to the site for the brand new 14-inch model, the Y410p, featuring GT750M and Intel Core i7-4700MQ (Haswell). IdeaPad Y410p High-Performance 14" Multimedia Laptop from Lenovo | Lenovo (US)

Availability for other regions may vary.

Pretty sure there's going to be either Y510 or Y510p with even more powerful GPU. Maybe GTX765M to rival with the new Razer Blade.

Lenovo is preparing to launch the new models of the Y series anyways. The Y500 with GT750M is most likely just a minor change.

Here's the link to the site for the brand new 14-inch model, the Y410p, featuring GT750M and Intel Core i7-4700MQ (Haswell). IdeaPad Y410p High-Performance 14" Multimedia Laptop from Lenovo | Lenovo (US)

Availability for other regions may vary.

Pretty sure there's going to be either Y510 or Y510p with even more powerful GPU. Maybe GTX765M to rival with the new Razer Blade.

IIRC, some folks down over at NBR have them already - go check it out: you might just be sold either on the 900p Y410p or just the fact that Optimus (although with what IGPU I don't know) and SLI no longer mutually exclude each other. (I hear reports of 5 hours' worth of battery - checks out with me; the rMBP with an ~8500 mAh battery gets 7.)

In the meantime, I'll be right here downclocking to Atom-area speeds just to see how to get an hour more or so out of the battery.

IIRC, some folks down over at NBR have them already - go check it out: you might just be sold either on the 900p Y410p or just the fact that Optimus (although with what IGPU I don't know) and SLI no longer mutually exclude each other. (I hear reports of 5 hours' worth of battery - checks out with me; the rMBP with an ~8500 mAh battery gets 7.)

In the meantime, I'll be right here downclocking to Atom-area speeds just to see how to get an hour more or so out of the battery.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check that out.

same thing happened to me... I bought my gt650 y500 then after a week or so they released 750m model and now they are releasing models with haswell aswell..

I should have waited for those but i need a laptop :) i think we just need to sell our laptops and buy y510p :D

for the performance, perhaps 10% increase from 650m model to 750m and yes we can OC to get 750m speeds

same thing happened to me... I bought my gt650 y500 then after a week or so they released 750m model and now they are releasing models with haswell aswell..

I should have waited for those but i need a laptop :) i think we just need to sell our laptops and buy y510p :D

for the performance, perhaps 10% increase from 650m model to 750m and yes we can OC to get 750m speeds

Haswell is only supposed to improve battery life by 10%-15%, so that doesn't bother me as much as this just means maybe 15 extra minutes if we're talking 10%-15% of 2.5 hours? Haha. I have the 750m, but can I buy a 650m for the ultrabay for SLI?

Haswell is only supposed to improve battery life by 10%-15%, so that doesn't bother me as much as this just means maybe 15 extra minutes if we're talking 10%-15% of 2.5 hours? Haha. I have the 750m, but can I buy a 650m for the ultrabay for SLI?

no has to be the same model card

So we all do, eventually. After a certain amount of time you get to - at the very least - call yourself a masochist and attempt to take a little chauvinistic pride in doing something with less. (That's just what I say to my circa-'11 965 BE + GTX 460 setup...)

• 2 weeks later...

hell, my OC'ed gt650ms can kick the hell out of those stock gt750 cards and this laptop can make the other laptops eat their own dust in performance. Even my desktop succumbs to its powers XD (BTW my desktop is a pentium dual core with a 9500gt (yeah crappy de crap, i know haha XD)) so just be happy with it