[HARDWARE MOD] W110ER massive cooling mod

luoxia

This post is reproduced from

http://www.cbber.com/thread-50989-1-1.html

In the place of the original HDD I placed an traditional fan with radiator and air-exhaust towards the side, an mSATA drive, welded an additional 3 heat-pipes to CPU & GPU plus a custom cooling block and heat-pipe for the PCH.

The original fan on the left is now responsible for CPU, GPU & PCH and connected with 5 heat-pipes. The additional one on the right is only connected with two heatpipes and supports the CPU & GPU, so using a mouse on the right side won't feel any hotter.

CLEVO let's the system reach 60c before the fans are turned on and let it cool down to about 50c until it is turned off again. This approach reduces dust and increased the lifetime of the fan, but is not inappropriate for high speed quad-core setups.

It is impossible for me to control the fan speed via BIOS or EC, so I tapped into the 5v line of the original HDD connector and let temperature diodes control the fan speed.

An additional temperature-diode is at the PCH heat-pipe and controls the old fan below 60c (I have tapped into a 3.3v line)and an other diode prevents current back-flow once the original 5v EC controlled fan kicks in.

So we now have two 5v sources plus one 3.3v and the original cooling method is also functional.

Here the stock version with just a single fan & heat-pipe (a pic from the net) :

<ignore_js_op>200708ito8wfq1w0d12182.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

And here the modded version with dual-fan & heat pipes :

<ignore_js_op>200721itz06cc1u0ctq66u.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

<ignore_js_op>210020qacpaei88hbvoipz.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

<ignore_js_op>200734tyhxlkbljfpfoxjf.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

Modded bottom plate with 4 depressions to optimize the air intake from the right side (above the CPU):

<ignore_js_op>214112tyxxmjx0zw8kb11z.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

With bottom cover assembled. Before the passive cooling of the PCH used too overheat and release all the heat into the body:

<ignore_js_op>214112p911nev5c1y1p124.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

Temperature-dependent resistors to regulate the fan speed according to GPU & CPU temps:

<ignore_js_op>200749cn9hnv95gh9k2n7g.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

Tapped into the original 5v fan connector and added a diode to prevent current back-flow.

An additional temperature-diode at the PCH heat-pipe automatically controls the fan-speed:

<ignore_js_op>200758i1h7nzzs8cs11ehz.jpg

</ignore_js_op>

Homemade liquid metal. Cheaper than the cheapest stock thermal paste.

It has a melting point of 50c. Excess liquid was safely removed towards the sides until it stabilized:

<ignore_js_op>200907ch57z03molw3apac.jpg</ignore_js_op>

• Thumbs Up 5

Excellent mod (idea with mSATA instead of HDD). If I can make a suggestion for future modders. What counts is not only the number and thickness of the heatpipes but also their length (see GPU1 and GPU2 temperature in P370EM).

IMO it is better to divide the layout into two separate and connect (with short heatpipes) the new radiator to the CPU plate and the existing allocated exclusively to the GPU.

They guys who made the Alienware Watercooling Mod said that connecting all radiator with each other is a good idea to distribute heat and utilize them to their maximum capacity.

Calibre41 also made an interesting statement, he said that reducing the size of the heatpipe on the radiator side increases the airflow between the fins and he went on to say that that had a stronger impact on cooling than bigger heatpipes...

All interesting...so i guess the ideal mod would have:

- shorter heatpipes

- heatpipes wider on CPU/GPU side, narrower on radiator side

- all radiators connected

Damn! Nice mod. That's crazy. Took my idea of using an msata and placing a fan there except that I never planned on a whole new heatsink. I just wanted to blow over the CPU.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

This is something that my brother will deffinitly need to do..The Msata is amazing idea...clears up alot of space in order to do this...

Have you pushed the limits on that vengeance memory?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I think we actually need to work on airflow, the pipes are more than enough to keep the temps down if air is blowing over the CPU block. I have a 120MM fan blowing directly over the middle of the laptop with the cover off and it brings temps down to the mid 70s for CPU and mid 50's for GPU under full GPU+CPU load with stock pipes (CPU loading up to 60watts overclocked)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Has this ever been replicated? I have been watching this thread for quite some time and it seems no one has officially replicated it.

I plan to do something similar to my own y510p. The problem seems to be that the heatpipe will simply kink at the stress point and especially so if you have a flat heatsink. I have read that cutting it open and filling it with sand can allow for it to be molded without kinking the copper but no besides this has done something like that.

In the mean time I have ordered a couple replacement heatsinks to test and learn, looking forward to adding some copper heatpipes to my existing system

EDIT: apologize in advance for the thread necro

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

i thought about modding my W110ER in a similiar way, but only with additional heatpipes to the original radiator fan, now my question...

what do you think is the best way to do this? I wanted to take some Artic Silver Paste to add them to the radator but now after i read that thread....im not so sure anymore^^