100C CPU temps

Nate

My laptop shutdown last night while playing Street Fighter IV. Screen when black, then it shutdown. Today I checked the temps and they are about 67C for the CPU at idle. It I do anything, eg open Eclipse, they jump to 95-100C while the CPU is working. CPU is i7 Extreme 2920XM. GPU temps are ~50C idle and 92C under load (playing Street Fighter). GPU is Radeon HD6900. Oh hell I should have just posted a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/r3yvVAl.png

I'm going to the store now to get thermal paste, a screw driver, and a guitar pick to repaste the CPU (I'm in Croatia for a few months so I don't have all my computer stuff here). Should I repaste the GPUs while I have this thing open? I'm worried that I could mess up any thick thermal pads, which I don't think should be replaced with thermal paste (which is meant for a very thin application). Can I repaste the GPU without disturbing any thick thermal pads?

Are there any other issues that might cause high temps like these? I'm not sure what ambient temps are, but probably about 26C (and will only get worse with summer coming).

Thanks!

My laptop shutdown last night while playing Street Fighter IV. Screen when black, then it shutdown. Today I checked the temps and they are about 67C for the CPU at idle. It I do anything, eg open Eclipse, they jump to 95-100C while the CPU is working. CPU is i7 Extreme 2920XM. GPU temps are ~50C idle and 92C under load (playing Street Fighter). GPU is Radeon HD6900. Oh hell I should have just posted a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/r3yvVAl.png

I'm going to the store now to get thermal paste, a screw driver, and a guitar pick to repaste the CPU (I'm in Croatia for a few months so I don't have all my computer stuff here). Should I repaste the GPUs while I have this thing open? I'm worried that I could mess up any thick thermal pads, which I don't think should be replaced with thermal paste (which is meant for a very thin application). Can I repaste the GPU without disturbing any thick thermal pads?

Are there any other issues that might cause high temps like these? I'm not sure what ambient temps are, but probably about 26C (and will only get worse with summer coming).

Thanks!

Not many laptops can handle 76W for the CPU, but the fact that your idle temps are also high makes me think there is something wrong with your fan. What is your laptop?

Oops, forgot to say it is an Alienware m18x. So I tore the whole thing down, huge PITA, and found the heatsinks caked with dust. I replaced the thermal compound and put her back together. I had to use regular cheap off brand thermal compound as it was all I could find here, but even then I see much better temps, 87C max (@83.7W!):

http://i.imgur.com/DuZI8B4.png

So, you were pretty much right, the fan couldn't cool the CPU well enough because the heatsink was super clogged.

Here's a pic of them:

Xn41IwH.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

Yeah, my fans are starting to come on more and more often, probably have to crack her open again this summer. I would do it more often, but it's a HUGE pain with the m18x.

Nate don't worry too much about the brand of thermal paste, when your machine is at its limits the temperature difference is generally less then a degree. Higher quality brand name pastes only really make a big difference to your idle temperatures. This effect is similar to leaving a car out in the sun on a hot day, even though one may be white and the others black; when both are left till the heat saturates the inside temperature within the car are identical, only the rate at which it takes to get to that maximum temperature changes.

Nate don't worry too much about the brand of thermal paste, when your machine is at its limits the temperature difference is generally less then a degree. Higher quality brand name pastes only really make a big difference to your idle temperatures. This effect is similar to leaving a car out in the sun on a hot day, even though one may be white and the others black; when both are left till the heat saturates the inside temperature within the car are identical, only the rate at which it takes to get to that maximum temperature changes.

I totally disagree with you.

Better thermal paste makes cooler temps at both idle and stressed condition.

My m17x R4 runs at 78~80 degrees celssius at 4.5 * 4 cores with 1 min Intel XTU CPU stress test.

With cheap thermal it went up to 95 or more degrees and throttled down to non-turbo speed.

I myself have experienced the "power" of a good thermal paste so I must say you are not right on that specific matter.

post-13289-14494997697122_thumb.jpg

Intel XTU 4.5 * 4 cores CPU stress test nearly for 1 min and look at the temp.

78 degree.

No external fan, just use a coke cap to raise the rear part of the laptop.

• 1 month later...

i repasted my GTX780M SLI and my i7-4930MX with Prolimatech Nano Aluminium. I must say, my GPU temps droped down from 85 to max 75. I did not see any difference for my CPU yet, still get BSOD after Overclocking my CPU. but i think that is the crap bios A08 from Alienware 18 NEW.

As I can assume that CPU temperaturę sensor is not so great as GPU one. It often shows about 30C jump after 3 seconds of cpu stress test. That's just not possible and you should notice temperaturę from it with caution because it's not errorless.

It often shows about 30C jump after 3 seconds of cpu stress test. That's just not possible.
That's very possible. One thing is cooling CPU that's is idling, while its completely difference picture when CPU is 100% loaded, especially because fan speed cant keep up with load in those first seconds. The way Intel builds their CPU doesn't help either.

I was testing it with forced 100% fan using HWInfo. I suppose just sensor isn't as good as GPU sensor but that's only my opinion. I also have Engineering Sample unit so it can have different sensor than Your production unit.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...
Oops, forgot to say it is an Alienware m18x. So I tore the whole thing down, huge PITA, and found the heatsinks caked with dust. I replaced the thermal compound and put her back together. I had to use regular cheap off brand thermal compound as it was all I could find here, but even then I see much better temps, 87C max (@83.7W!):

http://i.imgur.com/DuZI8B4.png

So, you were pretty much right, the fan couldn't cool the CPU well enough because the heatsink was super clogged.

Here's a pic of them:

Xn41IwH.jpg

ya dust is evil, I got my old m17x r2 up to 110 C. not good. try to keep things below 80 to keep your hardware alive

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

PCS Performance is great (especially since Frozen CPU closedtheir doors) I’ve used IC Diamond 7 and its ok, but with repasting it can scratchthe die. I used Tuniq TX-4 to repaste (Putit in hot water and it spreads easier) and I changed my thermal pads with FujipolyHi Ext 17W pads. They are pricey, but worth it. The 17W pads really helped suckheat away. I cleaned up and also added a better fan (CPU Fan Upgrade/Mod(2CFM->10.4CFM)} mod by AngieAndretti over in the Tech Inferno site. It droppedmy temps by over 15 C on the CPU so I’ve got room to OC. The GPU with new Padsand paste dropped me 12 C. So I’ve got room there also. Check out the differentpads for Watt and thickness. You’ll be a happy camper for sure Brah .<o:p></o:p>

• 2 weeks later...

Wow lot of dust caked up that will do it! I was able to reuse the thermal pads on my alienware 18 and just repasted the gpu and cpu. I have the 4800mq cpu and the temperatures will spike by 20c+ when hit with 100% load, there is about 5 second delay before fans kick on. I dont understand how the cpu is rated for 47watt TDP and the gtx 770m are rated for 75watt but the graphics cards run cooler below 73c and the cpu will be 87c under load! Must be a haswell thing :(