[solved] MSI GT780 + 580M/675M which vBIOS ?

Bugii

Hi,

I've got MSI GX780, upgraded to GT780 (added 560M). I just replaced card, flashed MSI vBios and it worked like a charm.

Now I have bought GTX675M (AFAIK it should be the same thing as 580M)

Now, I know some people made it working and its showing GT783 in their BIOS.

I'm fine with TS, as soldering a wire didnt help in my case.

My problem is, what vBIOS should I use/where can I get it ?

it's a dell GTX 675M

I have tried

MSI GTX675M vBios - works fine, but! external display connected to VGA doesnt work, not recognized. Winkey + P will enable it as unknown projector and only 640x480 works.

MSI GTX580M vBios - legacy drivers not supported, needed modded inf, unable to dim LCD panel - Fn + UParrow/DOWNarrow doesnt work.

Clevo GTX580M and Dell GTX 580M vBios is acting same as MSI GTX580M.

Another thing, evien after I flashed that 675M to 580M, it still shows as 675M, however bios version is correct - 580M.

I believe this has something to do with soft straps, unfortunately I do not know how should the mask for nvflash look like if I want to persuade it that its 580M.

Do I need to update main BIOS to get it work properly ? Unlocked version will do the trick? Currently I do have the most recent MSI BIOS .30H

what vBIOS did you guys use to get it working without any issues?

Thank you for any kind of help.

Ok, I played with it a bit and I found out something.

Its Sub System ID in BIOS.

If I overwrite subsystem ID on 580M MSI vBIOS (1462-10A9) to 675M MSI vBIOS (1462-10CB) it will be basically 580M bios but it starts to act as if it was 675M... see my post above. Suddenly it works with nvidia drivers and I can dim LCD backlight but VGA port stopped working. Frequencies and voltage stays as it was on 580M vbios.

So this happend after I changed SubSystem ID from 10A9 to 10CB.

I believe that subsytem id has something to do with the notebook model. 10A9 is also on GT780 /w 560M installed.

I think 10CB is for new GT70 model, I'm not sure. I've tried 10BD which should be for GT780DXR with 570M, but it didnt work, found standard VGA adapter.

So it looks like that these 4 letters are in charge here...

Can anyone with MSI GT783 /w GTX 580M please let me know what SubSystem ID is it ? You can check that in nibitor or send me your vbios please ?

Thank you.

P.S. maybe I'm wrong and these 4 letters means something else... its just, no matter which vbios I use, it works or doesnt work (original drivers, LCD dim, VGA out) according to these 4 letters ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm in the exact same boat, so I thought this would be a good time to speak up. I also have an MSi GT780DX and installed a Dell GTX675m (upgraded from GTX570m). Cleaned out all drivers through add/remove programs and with DriverSweeper, installed new drivers and everything works perfectly except I have two problems: HDMI port acts like it doesn't exist and I encounter throttling when I play games (which I've already read is supposedly normal for this card). Although my VGA port works perfectly. And today I learned VGA can stream full HD. XD But my monitor acts like it's DVI and VGA at the same time (Neither device has a DVI port o.O). Anyway, I hope more people see this thread because it's apparently an uncommon circumstance. Help would be awesome. <3

Can anyone with MSI GT783 /w GTX 580M please let me know what SubSystem ID is it ? You can check that in nibitor or send me your vbios please ?

Thank you.

Hi Bugii,

MSI nVidia 580M info:

Device ID: 1211

Subvendor ID: 1462

Subsystem ID: 10A9

MSI 580M ORIGIN VBIOS from MSI GT783:

http://gentechpcforums.com/Images/MSI/GT783/MSI_GT783-VBIOS.zip

nVidia 580M Video Bios Collection:

Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

I had tried to upgrade my 560m to the 580m and could never get past the throttling. I had flashed the stock MSI bios, added the extra power wire, Throttlestop, etc...

I could never get it to stop throttling.

I then moved to the 7970m with the clevo no enduro bios and it works great with zero throttling.

There was only one thing that doesn't work is the sound over hdmi (video still works).

The way I understand it, any bios version that would normally work with your laptop will also work being the unlocked version. It's the same bios, just with more options and permissions. And just yesterday, I used Xonar's unlocked GT780DX/GT783DX bios and then learned how to properly use ThrottleStop and it completely solved my throttling problem. I kept the Dell Vbios for the GTX675m. GPU-Z and everything will even tell me the subvendor is Dell, and it works just as it should. The VGA port works fine, too. The only problem left is that my HDMI port still pretends like it doesn't exist.

I hope this helps. : P

• 1 month later...
The way I understand it, any bios version that would normally work with your laptop will also work being the unlocked version. It's the same bios, just with more options and permissions. And just yesterday, I used Xonar's unlocked GT780DX/GT783DX bios and then learned how to properly use ThrottleStop and it completely solved my throttling problem. I kept the Dell Vbios for the GTX675m. GPU-Z and everything will even tell me the subvendor is Dell, and it works just as it should. The VGA port works fine, too. The only problem left is that my HDMI port still pretends like it doesn't exist.

I hope this helps. : P

Can you use original nVidia drivers without modded inf ? With Dell vbios the drivers didnt recognize my card.

Can you dim LCD backlight ? - I have noiticed I can while outside OS, as soon as it boots to windows and loads drivers, Fn+arrows doesnt work.

I haven't had chance to test HDMI.

I've learnd that changing subvendor soft straps won't be so easy.

As the chip itself is the same 580M=675M, the card layout isnt - there are hardstraps - 0 ohm resistors that says the system its a 675M. To persuade the system that its 580M, i need to change the softstraps to a different pattern than the same as 580M.

Not sure if it makes sence..

Device id is a binary number cumputed from hardstraps and softstraps. Hardstraps are resistors on the card softstraps are numbers in eeprom. I dont recall the exact pattern but lets simplify this:

(I'm GTX675M card) = 675Hardstraps + 675sofstraps

(I'm GTX580M card) = 580Hardstraps + 580sofstraps

(I'm GTX580M card) = 675Hardstraps + different softstraps

So if I could find out the different softstraps pattern I'd be able to fix this. I did some research but its a whole science around it, I'm not noob with binary logic but I'm not that good either. The pattern wasnt too difficult, problem was to find out the actual numbers of straps from both vBios versions, you dont actually know the "numbers" for hardstraps either - they are physical resistors on the card.

And the thing is if I got it wrong, the card is bricked forever. I'd got this: (I'm a piece of metal) = 675Hardstraps + random umber :D :D

PS.

I'm not sure about throttling - I just run TS and everythings fine - I dont need to turn it ON - I simply double click the icon and minimalize it. In the taskbar its Green - if I hit turn ON its red but it works the same.

• 3 months later...

Hey, thanks for the reply. This hardstrap/softstrap business is completely foreign to me and you're the first person on any forum to mention it that I've seen. But to answer your questions, I am able to dim the LCD back-light with the function keys and I am able to use original Nvidia drivers without having to mod anything. I just downloaded and installed them from their site as is standard operating broceedure.

Like you say, if I flash it based on a guess and it's wrong, I could have wasted a perfectly good $300 MXM GPU. I think the safest course of action, whilst still taking action, is to flash it to MSi GTX 675 Vbios so at the very least the hardware and software ID would be the same. I guess I better got off (or on?) my lazy a$$ and get done.

And sorry for the late response. I've been putting this off really hard like I do everything and the disfunctional HDMI has been more and more of an inconvenience so I haven't been on any forums in a while. : P Hope you've solved your own issues by now at least.

And you have Dell vbios right ?

I will probably flash the one that allows us to control LCD backlight, as I've installed it into GT660 (16f1) and giving this laptop to my friend as a gift (and he's not using external display so he wont miss HDMI or D-SUB)

I've managed to get GTX770m for my GT780R so I'm fine for a while...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had tried to upgrade my 560m to the 580m and could never get past the throttling. I had flashed the stock MSI bios, added the extra power wire, Throttlestop, etc...

I could never get it to stop throttling.

I then moved to the 7970m with the clevo no enduro bios and it works great with zero throttling.

There was only one thing that doesn't work is the sound over hdmi (video still works).

Hey! I have a question about the 7970m if you don't mind :) Was it a dell card with which you flashed a clevo vbios? And did you have to modify the bios of your MSi laptop? Thank you!

• 6 months later...

Good Evening All,

I have an MSI GT780DXR and just put a Dell GTX580M card in it...

After doing the .inf edit found here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/496570/geforce-drivers/can-39-t-install-nvidia-graphics-driver-v-275-33/3/

With the current drivers, 337.88, I get past the 'checking' phase, it recognises and starts to install... then I get this error (mid install):

imgur: the simple image sharer

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jah

• Bios Modder
Good Evening All,

I have an MSI GT780DXR and just put a Dell GTX580M card in it...

After doing the .inf edit found here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/496570/geforce-drivers/can-39-t-install-nvidia-graphics-driver-v-275-33/3/

With the current drivers, 337.88, I get past the 'checking' phase, it recognises and starts to install... then I get this error (mid install):

imgur: the simple image sharer

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jah

Just flash to Dell GTX580M card, vbios for MSI card.

• 2 weeks later...
Just flash to Dell GTX580M card, vbios for MSI card.

Thanks, that's exactly what I did, but now... It's overheating.

In my MSI GT780DXR I've recently installed a Dell GTX580m. Flashed the vBios to MSI and installed the drivers fine. Bought some quality thermal paste, applied it correctly (after lots of research and reapplications).

However, when playing the latest game I have (Wildstar), the card heads toward 75 degrees celcius then reboots the computer. After experimenting with various thermal paste applications, it can stay under for a couple of minutes with the fan at full, but always restarts.

My previous video card died playing this game...

Thoughts or theories, anyone?

Regards,

Jah

Thanks, that's exactly what I did, but now... It's overheating.

In my MSI GT780DXR I've recently installed a Dell GTX580m. Flashed the vBios to MSI and installed the drivers fine. Bought some quality thermal paste, applied it correctly (after lots of research and reapplications).

However, when playing the latest game I have (Wildstar), the card heads toward 75 degrees celcius then reboots the computer. After experimenting with various thermal paste applications, it can stay under for a couple of minutes with the fan at full, but always restarts.

My previous video card died playing this game...

Thoughts or theories, anyone?

Regards,

Jah

I was running 580M at 86-89 °C during full load without any issues. That card is shutting down at 105°C

75 is pretty low for 580M imho.

Your shutdowns might be caused by insufficient power supply. - do you have at least 180W acad ?

I was running 580M at 86-89 °C during full load without any issues. That card is shutting down at 105°C

75 is pretty low for 580M imho.

Your shutdowns might be caused by insufficient power supply. - do you have at least 180W acad ?

Thanks for your thoughts, it could possibly be that, but I doubt it.

Reason:

The times when I had applied thermal paste poorly, or too much, my laptop restarted soon after starting Wildstar, and times it was applied well, it didn't restart for a little while.

Also, monitoring my video card temperature during this time, showed it failed at 75 degrees.

Anyone?

Actually, you might be onto something.

I just tried running the game on the lowest graphic setting, and my computer restarted even though both my GPU and CPU were at quite a low temperature, how does one fix this?

Actually, you might be onto something.

I just tried running the game on the lowest graphic setting, and my computer restarted even though both my GPU and CPU were at quite a low temperature, how does one fix this?

check your ram sticks.

might as well be dead GPU. Yes, I had the same issue on 570M and 675M... read my post about "not so random shutdowns" ..it looks like either damaged power components or VRAM chips on the GPU.

I assure you its not the overheating.

I was thinking of buying a better power supply, to test that... but I can't find anywhere?

It is possible that it being 2am in Japan and not having slept well last night is affecting me, but does anyone know of a good shop for MSI power supplies? eBay seller?

Is it even worth trying?

Hmm, after removing the battery, it seemed to run fine for an evening.

But then just last night it crashed again、this is driving me mad.

You think that it is the video card chips? So I should get a new card?

Hmm, after removing the battery, it seemed to run fine for an evening.

But then just last night it crashed again、this is driving me mad.

You think that it is the video card chips? So I should get a new card?

it's not power supply.

If the PSU wasnt enough, it would just automatically switch to battery. I was running i7 + 7970m on 120W acad, I know what I'm talking about... in stress the PSU led went off and the laptop switched to battery. I had to disconnect PSU, let it cool for a minute and then connect again. It will not restart if PSU is insufficient.

I'd say the GPU is reaching end of her life. Sorry.

Try to get another gpu. You can buy some really cheap one, try to look for GTX280m or omething with similar TDP, something that isnt so expensive and test it.

If it fixes the shutdowns, sell the card again and buy the one you want.

it's not power supply.

If the PSU wasnt enough, it would just automatically switch to battery. I was running i7 + 7970m on 120W acad, I know what I'm talking about... in stress the PSU led went off and the laptop switched to battery. I had to disconnect PSU, let it cool for a minute and then connect again. It will not restart if PSU is insufficient.

I'd say the GPU is reaching end of her life. Sorry.

Try to get another gpu. You can buy some really cheap one, try to look for GTX280m or omething with similar TDP, something that isnt so expensive and test it.

If it fixes the shutdowns, sell the card again and buy the one you want.

Thanks for the advice. I have already put an order in for a new card, all going well that will fix it.

The restarts have been getting more common, now without much encouragement, the computer will just restart, so it does seem like the card is dying... or at least I assume so. Shall let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Jah