Lenovo Y500 is this too hot of a temp?

MINE

In my experience : As long as the temps dont reach 100+, you are fine. But if you start to notice massive slowdowns or artifacts, then you should replace the termal paste :)

#Infernal_cowboy : I have not noticed any heat problems with the SLI conf, not even after 7-8h of gameing.

Well if it's any consolation, my y510p runs the CPU (i7-4700mq) around ~90*C at load and the GPUs are both usually loading at (In Crysis 3 at least) ~80*C so take it or leave it, your not that bad off. I wish my CPU loaded that low, although through Intel Extreme Tuning Utility I was able to maintain the 3.2GHz boost speed and prevent throttling caused by the 100*C temperature spikes and everything is hunky doory now.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to lower temperatures, you have to repaste first of all.

The next part is strongly unadvised, unless you know what you doing. :)

You shoud change some gap-pads, since in my y510p,the gap pad next to cpu, over coils of vrm area, is pushing heastsink away. ( 0.5mm is ok)

Cpu springs are fine, however, the gpu spring have to be modded. internal gpu has 3 bolts, 2 of them is fine, but i inserted a 0.5mm spacer under them, 3rd one is changed to stronger one.

Ultrabay gpu heatsink is modded too, almost hardmounted, spacer with rubber spacer under it.

Ultrabay is still overhating under full load, but for example with BL2 it is at max 80, internal 75 max, and it is with 1230/1425, cpu at 3,4 4core with throttlestop, undervolted by 95mv.

This temp is normal and even my y510p with non-SLI is around the same. After taking my laptop apart a few times I realized that unlike my older, cheaper Asus, the laptop tends to cycle the fan on and off every few seconds when the load is light. Out of experience, the i7s that power the y500 and y510p seem to heat up massively, as I have not had the same issue with less powerful cpus despite both being idle during my temp tests.

You can modify the fan temperature thresholds in BIOS. It won't make your laptop cooler under load though.

Some tips:

1. Raising the laptop over the surface of the desk already will improve your temperatures. Do not run it on bed or other soft surfaces covering the bottom of the laptop.

2. Getting a cooling pad will take care of raising the computer, but don't expect miracles from the fans. They don't make much difference. Note, that with cooling pad you can use (under heavy load) your laptop on cushions and your own lap.

3. Removing every possible cover from the bottom of the laptop and running it on the cooling pad does reduce the CPU and GPU temps under load, but not much. On the other hand it did keep other components cooler. In Y580 it's important because of unfortunate placement of HDD, which can get too hot under load.

You can modify the fan temperature thresholds in BIOS. It won't make your laptop cooler under load though.

Some tips:

1. Raising the laptop over the surface of the desk already will improve your temperatures. Do not run it on bed or other soft surfaces covering the bottom of the laptop.

2. Getting a cooling pad will take care of raising the computer, but don't expect miracles from the fans. They don't make much difference. Note, that with cooling pad you can use (under heavy load) your laptop on cushions and your own lap.

3. Removing every possible cover from the bottom of the laptop and running it on the cooling pad does reduce the CPU and GPU temps under load, but not much. On the other hand it did keep other components cooler. In Y580 it's important because of unfortunate placement of HDD, which can get too hot under load.

I would say bottom line, that all effort is not worth it. For example, the nr 3. is more like a down side, you may get lower temperatures, but the dust can easily make his way into your laptop.

If you want to lower temperatures, you have to repaste first of all.

The next part is strongly unadvised, unless you know what you doing. :)

You shoud change some gap-pads, since in my y510p,the gap pad next to cpu, over coils of vrm area, is pushing heastsink away. ( 0.5mm is ok)

Cpu springs are fine, however, the gpu spring have to be modded. internal gpu has 3 bolts, 2 of them is fine, but i inserted a 0.5mm spacer under them, 3rd one is changed to stronger one.

Ultrabay gpu heatsink is modded too, almost hardmounted, spacer with rubber spacer under it.

Ultrabay is still overhating under full load, but for example with BL2 it is at max 80, internal 75 max, and it is with 1230/1425, cpu at 3,4 4core with throttlestop, undervolted by 95mv.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but did you undervolt your CPU and how did you do it?

Hm I don't see that option in intel xtu and almost everything else is greyed out. Maybe the y500 doesnt support it?

You're looking for something which doesn't exist. Voltage control was only recently brought back with mobile Haswell.

If what you're aiming for is lowering temperatures, then lowering temperatures can't be a down side :) What I think you meant to say is that the 3rd point has a down side, which is more dust getting in, and with that I agree. On the other hand dust will find it's way inside anyway, and it is important to de-dust it from time to time this way or the other. Also, I saw that some other Y-series have small, separate covers for every removable component, while Y580 has single big cover that covers all user-removable components. What I'm trying to say is that depending on your laptop model the results may vary. In Y580 the biggest advantage is cooling the HDD, which can get really hot (50-60° C),

• 3 weeks later...