Lenovo Y500 is this too hot of a temp?

MINE

dunno why but it idle around 55-60 , max temp when i play game is around 74-79 and my GPU is MIN 55 and reach 75? Should I worry and why is my idling so high? My desktop never idle this high and should I get a cooling pad? Is this normal , just got the laptop today.

Laptops idle high because manufacturers have the fans shut off at lower temps to save battery life and since people don't like fan noise, while in desktops fans never turn off. Your load temps are good for a laptop and well below maximum allowed.

Don't worry buddy,yours is much same like me Lol....that is exactly a safe temperature,but you might want to look at your GPU load since your idle Temp is around 50~60C XD,maybe something load the GPU

• 2 weeks later...

if this worries you, a quick replacement of the thermal-paste can help with the cooling and a laptop cooling fan; i have seen worst temps especially with the GT750m SLI running games for 2 hours. you are fine just like they said.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of people get caught on this. When you improve the cooling system with thermal paste, the system fan speeds reduce. This nets you the same temps you had before usually.

The fans automatically speed up or slow down to maintain the noise level and temperature, so without manual fan speed control it is difficult to measure the effectiveness of new thermal compound or a cooling pad.

• 2 months later...
dunno why but it idle around 55-60 , max temp when i play game is around 74-79 and my GPU is MIN 55 and reach 75? Should I worry and why is my idling so high? My desktop never idle this high and should I get a cooling pad? Is this normal , just got the laptop today.

nvidia inspector now has variable temperature throttles if you dont want to go past a certin temperature.

Does that mean that if we set lower threshold, the coolers will start roaring on lower temperatures?

Or it will proportionally sacrifice performance for the sake of temperature?

Hey I have a y500 and I noticed the same temperature difference. It must be because one of the 650m's share the heat sink with the CPU.

Believe it or not, it's usually the Ultrabay 650M that runs slightly hotter, because even though the main GPU and CPU share a fan, their fan is much more powerful than the Ultrabay one.

• 3 weeks later...

my idle cpu temps are 48-55C

gpu 1 is ~44C

gpu 2 (ultrabay) is ~39C

However when playing games the second gpu runs about 5C hotter than the other gpu.

Also, this laptop sucks in air from the bottom, so dont forget to put something under the laptop so you dont block that. I use a cooling pad (which is never on) just so the bottom is free

• 2 weeks later...